DCS F-14 Update - All About Inertia!

Cobra847

Awesome, just awesome work! That's the kind of stuff I really love to see!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Incredibly interesting update! Eagerly looking forward to the next one. Keep up the good work!

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

I already asked these question in a different part of the forum, and with the excellent eye and attention to detail you fine fellows from HB provide us with I have no doubt we will see an equally excellent documentation set explaining my question in detail;

But how does the GPS available from the Lightning pod factor into the navigation aspect (broadly speaking)? Or is that only useable to send info to the guided weapons (CDU's only on the F14 AFAIK?)?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Groundpounder extraordinaire

SPECS: i7-4790K, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 16 GB RAM, MSI GTX 980ti, Thrustmaster WARTHOG HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals, TrackIR 5

Iirc first lantirn integration was a hack of the video feed into the TCS feed. So there would be not much avionics integration. But I could be wrong.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

But how does the GPS available from the Lightning pod factor into the navigation aspect (broadly speaking)? Or is that only useable to send info to the guided weapons (CDU's only on the F14 AFAIK?)?

The LANTIRN Targeting System (LTS) used on the F-14 got rid of the original LANTIRN two pod system, and didn't use the terrain avoidance/following navigation pod. Instead, the LTS itself got GPS and IMU integrated, but the LTS as a whole was not tightly integrated into the F-14 systems at all, basically just a control panel was installed in the RIO cockpit left panel (joystick and some hats and a few switches) and the LTS video output could be viewed on the RIO's TID TV selection and the pilot's VDI TV repeat selection (essentially both of those are just aux video input selections). The LTS video could show own GPS coordinates, as well as calculated ground point (or tracked target) coordinates (calculated from laser range together with azimuth+elevation), so the RIO would be able to manually use that to enter coordinates on the CAP+TID to do a nav fix. I don't think the LTS and F-14A/B were able to directly use GPS/INS weapons (e.g. JDAM, JSOW, WCMD), but they were able to generate accurate enough coordinates for other aircraft to deploy these weapons on target. Of course, LTS was used with laser guided bombs on the F-14 itself.

Heatblur Simulations

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GPS navigation came to F-14B as a part of the F-14B Upgrade program, when the AN/ASN-92 were replaced by the new EGI (Embedded GPS/INS) units from Honeywell as a part of a deep avionics change. Updating AN/ASN-92 and the whole set of the routines to include GPS abilities was probably much more complicated than replacing the entire system.

A not-so-official upgrade allowing for GPS navigation was to get a personal Garmin 95XL.

But as far as I know, it was impossible to inject GPS data from the pod to the INS.

Edited by Super Grover

Krzysztof Sobczak

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

That's very interesting indeed. Thanks for the insight!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Woah...

I am guessing all this is mainly for the A model ? As you mentioned the B variant got the EGI.

I got a question about the in-flight corrections ?

Will you go in detail how they are done ?

Are they automated ? or does it put a workload on the RIO ?

The RIO can improve (restore) the precision of the INS in-flight by updating the aircraft position:

With the radar by locking on the known reference point (waypoint);

Using TACAN signal and known coordinates of the TACAN station stored as a waypoint;

By overflying a visual reference point;

Using data-link, either when flying in close formation, or by hooking a radar track of the cooperating aircraft.

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

As you mentioned the B variant got the EGI.

From the beginning? I understood that as beeing a later upgrade that came to the F-14B later on.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Initially, the F-14B had AN/ASN-92, so this topic - the update on the INS for Heatblur F-14 - stands for both A and B. The EGI was a part of the "F-14B Upgrade" which entered into service in the late '90s.

An update procedure is initiated manually, although the updated position is calculated automatically. For example, in case of a TACAN update it looks as follows:

1. Tune a TACAN in range.
  2. Hook a point (waypoint, Fix, Home Base, etc.) which is located where the TACAN station is. If you don't have the TACAN assigned to a point, you have to store the coordinates of the TACAN in one of the points first, and then use this point for the update.
  3. Select NAV category on CAP.
  4. Press TACAN FIX.
  5. On the TID, read and verify the position delta (position shift to be applied).
  6. Press FIX ENABLE to apply the delta.

Krzysztof Sobczak

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

A not-so-official upgrade allowing for GPS navigation was to get a personal Garmin 95XL.

But as far as I know, it was impossible to inject GPS data from the pod to the INS.

Sooooo... Might we be able to get a lawyer-friendly 95XL look-alike at some point? ^.^

From the beginning? I understood that as beeing a later upgrade that came to the F-14B later on.

Guess, I misunderstood as mentioned in the next post

Initially, the F-14B had AN/ASN-92, so this topic - the update on the INS for Heatblur F-14 - stands for both A and B. The EGI was a part of the "F-14B Upgrade" which entered into service in the late '90s.

An update procedure is initiated manually, although the updated position is calculated automatically. For example, in case of a TACAN update it looks as follows:

1. Tune a TACAN in range.
  2. Hook a point (waypoint, Fix, Home Base, etc.) which is located where the TACAN station is. If you don't have the TACAN assigned to a point, you have to store the coordinates of the TACAN in one of the points first, and then use this point for the update.
  3. Select NAV category on CAP.
  4. Press TACAN FIX.
  5. On the TID, read and verify the position delta (position shift to be applied).
  6. Press FIX ENABLE to apply the delta.

Yeah, this is what I meant, you don't have manually start adjusting stuff, just dual in the correct stuff and push couple of buttons (said in a simple manner)

This is all cool, would have liked to see some EGI, but we can dial with what we've got. Thank you !

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

So for this version of the F-14B we are getting dumb bombs and laser guided bombs. JDAM was not in the "B" suite modeled by Heatblur?

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

So for this version of the F-14B we are getting dumb bombs and laser guided bombs. JDAM was not in the "B" suite modeled by Heatblur?

Yes, that's my understanding as well.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hello,

I still don't get what is INS alignment process exactly… Given the fact that it drifts anyway, and the position can be updated while flying or waiting on the carrier's deck, doesn't it consist to just spool up gyros and tell the computer this is now that position/heading/altitude ? Must the gyro be in a specific position according to the aircraft's position before flying ?

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

Hello,

I still don't get what is INS alignment process exactly… Given the fact that it drifts anyway, and the position can be updated while flying or waiting on the carrier's deck, doesn't it consist to just spool up gyros and tell the computer this is now that position/heading/altitude ? Must the gyro be in a specific position according to the aircraft's position before flying ?

Non-technically speaking, the gyro needs to figure what is zero movement and by that I mean standing still on the ground. Sounds easy at first, but then you have to consider that while we are standing still on the ground we are moving through space as the earth rotates. That means, that the highly sensitive gyros need to figure out at what kind of "movement" the aircraft is standing still on the ground, so it can base all future aircraft movements on this zeroed in movement value. This is the alignment process and that takes some time.

This process obviously is much more difficult on an aircraft carrier as explained in the OP.

Tornado3 small.jpg

What a waste of time...I didn't understand ANY of that...BUT ITS COOL!

Seriously outstanding work.

When I was in the Air Force we had a Comm/Nav guy at Beale that could explain why the INS worked...Not how...WHY. He usually knew exactly what was wrong with an INS as soon as he read the write up.

Tried to explain Earth Rate to me once...I just smiled and Nodded occasionally.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Once again Heatblur thank you for an amazing update to the quality work going into the Tomcat. Will there be any F10 radio menu options to utilize the deck edge cable or SINS integration to CV INS alignment?

CARRIER AIR WING EIGHT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

FELIX 101

F-14D BuNo 164603

Commanding Officer , Fighting Thirty One

CDR E. "Boomer" Ray

http://www.cvw-8.org