F-14D??

OnionSpider13

It is quite likely - but we still need to launch the A/B and everything that comes with it.

Quite an unexpected straightforward statement, which basically counts as a promise on this forum :) Here's hoping you'll manage to pull this one off.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

The F-14D was one of the best fighters ever made, but it hardly received the accolades it deserved. Probably because its service life was relatively short.

I, for one, can't wait to fly the Super Tomcat with its circa-1996 VF-11 and VF-31 liveries.

It is quite likely - but we still need to launch the A/B and everything that comes with it.

I stand corrected! :director:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Hypothetically speaking, would we be talking about the possibility of an F-14D update to the existing A/B pack, an expansion pack style addon or an entirely separate module?

The A/B has Common Systems Galore, mainly just changes to FCS and Engines.

the D is an Entire Digital Upgrade from the Analog systems of the A/B.

I'd sell it as a Separate Aircraft.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I would buy the F-14D if it were sold as a separate aircraft. Like you said, the Super Tomcat is an entire digital upgrade from the A/B. So I wouldn't mind paying for those Digital Upgrades and APG-71 :)

I believe it'd be appropriate to sell the F-14D separate. What may seem minor modifications to most is certainly not the case. The F-14D had a huge avionics upgrade, APG-71 and digital flight controls.

Yeah, a lot of people don't seem to realize how different the Super Tomcat was from the legacy Tomcat. It was like the Strike Eagle vs. the Eagle.

I also would have no problem and would fully expect the F-14D to be it's own separate paid for module if it was to grace the DCS skies in the future. Completely different jet in many many ways...

With that said please bring the Sparrow Hawk HUD, and PTIDS display to the F-14B!:D

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

The F14D has a lot of differences from the A/B , upgrades of CADC to SCADC, DFCS, HUD, SAHARS, Radar, GPS are just to name a few. The basic characteristics of the plane stay the same but it was quite a lot more advanced, I worked on Deltas for years and personally would love to have one with DCS as a upgrade or stand alone.

Hawkeye

VF-213 CO

VCVW-11

http://www.vcvw-11.com

Heatblur F-14 SME

I also would have no problem and would fully expect the F-14D to be it's own separate paid for module if it was to grace the DCS skies in the future. Completely different jet in many many ways...

With that said please bring the Sparrow Hawk HUD, and PTIDS display to the F-14B!:D

+1 For Sparrow Hawk HUD

I am backwards of most people. I don't want the best/latest. I want the historically significant and/or most challenging variants of an aircraft. The MiG-21bis is a great fighter, the best of its line in many ways. I came to the DCS World platform when it was announced as a crowd-funded project. But I want the MiG-21F-13 that was such a shock to the USA in Vietnam in 1966. I want the MiG-21PF/PFMA that went with the all missile armament then had to retrofit a gun pod to correct that mistake. I want the MiG-21MF that again shocked the USA in Vietnam in 1972. All of these were equally important in air combat all over the world, especially Israel/Mideast.

Don't get me wrong, I will buy a well-modeled F-14D in a heartbeat. But I am overjoyed that I get the F-14A that served so many years on the front line and got kills in Libya rather than a souped up ultra-digital version that is the Navy equivalent to an F-15E on steroids. I want to learn how to dogfight while struggling to manage the ever problematic TF30... underpowered, slow to respond, and likely to flame out. That is a lot more fun to me than flying an aircraft that rivals or betters its opponents in just about every category. For the record, I am an air-to-air guy. I have little use for "bomb-cats" or Strike Eagles other than how well they can kill MiGs.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For the record, I am an air-to-air guy. I have little use for "bomb-cats" or Strike Eagles other than how well they can kill MiGs.

I agree.

I have no problem with Heatblur adding a LANTIRN pod, and I'm happy for all of those people out there who are getting something for this module that they really wanted, but for me the Tomcat is, at it's heart, a pure A/A machine. I have no interest at all in dropping bombs with it.

I will say, however, that I AM glad that we're getting the F-14B. The TF30, in my opinion, hobbled the airframe's full potential, and I want every advantage that I can get.

Can't pretend fly as well as you can.

I agree.

I have no problem with Heatblur adding a LANTIRN pod, and I'm happy for all of those people out there who are getting something for this module that they really wanted, but for me the Tomcat is, at it's heart, a pure A/A machine. I have no interest at all in dropping bombs with it.

I will say, however, that I AM glad that we're getting the F-14B. The TF30, in my opinion, hobbled the airframe's full potential, and I want every advantage that I can get.

The F-14 has dropped more air-to-ground ordnance than it's fired air-to-air ordnance in anger. Like it or not, in the real world, which is where it really matters, the F-14 turned out to be more than just a fighter.

F-14D would be fantastic and I'm optimistic that it would be done in the long run. As more of these modern full DCS level modules come out it's only going to become easier to do it as more and better infrastructure in weapons and avionics are built in to the base game. Once the Hornet is polished up and we've got an F-16, and maybe even that Strike Eagle that's been floating around "on the list" for years, it sure seems to make more sense that Heatblur rolls out a Super Tomcat than not.

Either way, we've got multiple years worth of engaging flight sim material just in the upcoming 18 and 14. I think we'll manage in the meantime.

The Sparrowhawk HUD was finally ready for operational use in 2002 so it didn't get that much use IMHO to warrant its development, especially if the F-14D might get developed as a module which had its own modern HUD (compared to that F-14A/B had).

From what I've read on some forum, the PTID on the other hand arrived rather late to most of the F-14D's (as it was taken from withdrawn F-14B's or even from some A's), so it would make more sense to have it on the F-14B's, but that would require a separate F-14B module to be developed and I'm not sure if PTID upgrade alone warrants it.

The make-shift installation of the PTID in the F-14D was apparently rather easy, but that would only support the TID emulate mode, which I suppose only showed the TID/LTS picture. It was fully integrated by software upgrade once there were enough units available for all the F-14D's, but that upgrade was only available for the last F-14D cruise apparently.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

F-14B with Sparrowhawk and PTID is unlikely. We'd rather spend that time on building an F-14D.

Functionality wise, you'll already be very well off in the -B due to the LANTIRN.

One thing to note is that our LANTIRN implementation relies on feeding the video through the fishbowl display. This was (according to our research, at least) - not something that was widely used in the fleet. Thus it can be considered to be a somewhat "experimental" version of the F-14 that existed for a short period.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

F-14B with Sparrowhawk and PTID is unlikely. We'd rather spend that time on building an F-14D.

Functionality wise, you'll already be very well off in the -B due to the LANTIRN.

One thing to note is that our LANTIRN implementation relies on feeding the video through the fishbowl display. This was (according to our research, at least) - not something that was widely used in the fleet. Thus it can be considered to be a somewhat "experimental" version of the F-14 that existed for a short period.

Oh.no...............:sad_2:

So not a realistic representation of the fleet F-14B is what we are getting?

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

So not a realistic representation of the fleet F-14B is what we are getting?

If you equip the LANTIRN, it's not a representation of what was in fleetwide combat use, no.

We decided that we really want to add extra value to the F-14A & B for everyone, but implementing the full PTID upgrade is beyond our resources for this release.

Note though, that it is still realistic. We're not entertaining prototypes or hypotheticals.

Just not realistic for the -B Bombcats that saw action.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/