F-14 Development Update - Power!

Cobra847

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously? You're modeling each stage of the engine separately?

Unbelievable! I can not wait for this airplane!

Me too but i have a question: are we going to appreciate this level of detail? i mean on a regular pc in amatour asset pilot?

It's a legit question :D

200m butterflier inside :harhar:

MERLO forever

nice update. but guys, are you starting to make this aircraft from the scrach every year?

are we going to get it by the end of the year?

• Like 1

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Who cares if it's released next year? Of course I want the Tomcat as bad as any plane I've seen that's upcoming, but if they are going to pump out a module that breaks new ground all over the place then I am more than happy to sit back and wait for them to iron out the issues before handing it off for us.

Me too but i have a question: are we going to appreciate this level of detail? i mean on a regular pc in amatour asset pilot?

It's a legit question :D

I have a related concern in that this sounds like more things that can develop bugs and more code to maintain which other developers with perhaps less complex (but still authentic) engine models may not have to do.

nice update. but guys, are you starting to make this aircraft from the scrach every year?

are we going to get it by the end of the year?

Using their own words from their FB page

We're pushing ourselves harder than ever towards reaching Early Access release ready status! Quick mini update below:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=202264

I'm really hoping so.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

This is why many of us will be willing to churn out 60 bucks or such for this module! Heatblur is exeptionally good at making potential customers appreciate what goes into creating a DCS worthy aircraft. Nicks description pretty much sounds like HB's simulation will be just a tiny bit short of a full fidelty fluid physics simulation that wholesome creates every surface/pipe in -and outside the aircraft with all gases and fuilds flowing along, around and through them.

Will the HB F-14 be a fuller simulation than other recent additions to the DCS playground? Maybe, probably...how could we tell as long as HB is (thats my impression at least) the only dev going really deep into explaining what's going into making their modules. It's brilliant PR...if you do the hard work, don't hide it behind bullet points....lay it out in reasonable detail so beople have their chaw drop from time to time...

I'd like all devs to do this from time to time. I don't need such detailed posts like every two weeks...but if we got something from every dev like once a quater....that'll be swell for sure. And thats not only 3rd partiss building aircraft. How about ED writing a technical post once in a while about a certain aspect of enhancing the DCS world sim. For a start: multi threading or parallelism and how VULKAN can improve things and future prove DCS. Or map building. Be proactive and describe broader technological advancements...instead of defending a missed deadline.

Anyway, as stated above, this is exactly what makes me appreciate HB F-14 project so much more that i am all in buying this asap! Keep'em coming...

Edited by sc_neo

This looks to be the most complete turbine simulation ever achieved in flight simulation. Of course we can't say that conclusively until we play with it but this is definitely impressive. Raise that bar Heatblur!!

Let the duel of the the most faithful aircraft simulations BEGIN! In this corner we have the ED/Belsimtek F/A-18 Hornet, and in this corner we have the Heatblur F-14 Tomcat. FIGHT'S ON

This is why many of us will be willing to churn out 60 bucks or such for this module!

I feel certain this module will be the same price as the Hornet: $80. Maybe even more considering the Carrier and inclusion of a Tomcat Variation. $80 sounds right tho.

Jesus! Wow!

I cant believe how much effort and knowledge is being put in this module.

Light years away from other devs.

Amazing, thanks HB!!!

This is nothing new. All full fidelity modules have this kind of detail. HB is, in fact, using new technologies to develop the virtual engines, just like Eagle Dynamics, but with third-party tools. The amount of effort and knowledge put into DCS modules are insane. This argument is valid for ALL modules :)

Sure, we are seeing things that we haven't seen in the past or things that we don't have available in the sim, such as new engine modeling/engine dynamics, new radar modeling and others, but as I said, all modules have an insane amount details.

The difference between HB and other devs is that they are letting you know what's going on behind the scenes. There are SO many things that you don't know about other modules that would make you cry. In a good way of course. :D

There may be some exceptions, but overall, yes the amount of detail is still insane for each, every module.

As I said, HB is putting their money on new technologies, which is great. But that's a trend for all third parties, it's up to them. There are companies that can't even finish their modules, imagine doing what ED, BST and HB do. :)

Edited by Vitormouraa

TF30 data sources

These effects will become even more apparent as we simulate the TF-30 engines as found in the F-14A. Be gentle with those throttles!

Interesting update; thanks for sharing, it's good to get an insight into how you're modelling the engines.

For the TF30 I've collected a couple of excellent reports for the TF30, full of data. The first one is a complete model with all of the data that is needed[1] (and some Fortran code). Although these are for the TF-30-P3 I believe the model could be adapted to the P414-A.

Data can be found on my website: http://www.zaretto.com/content/f-14-aerodynamic-data-sources#Engines

And yes, you do need to be careful with the throttles; my compressor stall model is quite simplistic as it's based only on the inlet pressure, rotor speed and airflow angles, but even with an uncomplicated model it always stalls at the wrong time.

--------------

[1] or at least I haven't found anything that is missing yet.

• Like 1

How are you going to Simulate FOD Damage? Are we required to walk the deck every morning prior to take off? ;)

I bet it might not be very smart to land or taxi on poorly-kept or closed down airbases, forcing real world decision-making on the virtual pilot in case of emergencies. Would be cool if FOD likelihood could be modeled into the sim based on type/ownership of airfield, as well as weather conditions, etc..

Intel i7-950 @stock, Asus P6X58D-E, 3x4GB Corsair Vengeance, Asus GTX 580, Corsair 120GB SSD, Corsair HX 750W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This will not be out before the F/A-18. We are most likely looking at a fall release based on the information that has been provided.

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

"We’re still working on completing our engine simulation. In particular some of the remaining items to be completed pre and post early access include the:

Engine Oil System

Bleed Air Draw Effects

Generator Load Effects

AICS Anti-Ice and Icing Effects

AFTC/MEC Secondary Mode Effects

Reduced Arrestment Thrust System (RATS)

Asymmetric Thrust Limiting

Afterburner Ignition System

Throttle Control Modes (Approach Power Compensator already complete)

Windmill and Cross-start failures and effects

Battle Damage Effects

FOD Effects

Yes. Speculation. But do you think they are going to release with this work that needs to be done? Especially right around when the Hornet is being released? Trust me, I hope they do!

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals