F-14 Development Update - Power!

Cobra847

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knocking it out of the park, great write-up guys, thanks for sharing :)

"Witness mere F-14s taking off from adjacent flight decks, gracefully canting left and right, afterburners flaming, and there’s something that sweeps you away—or at least it does me. And no amount of knowledge of the potential abuses of carrier task forces can affect the depth of that feeling. It simply speaks to another part of me. It doesn’t want recriminations or politics. It just wants to fly.”

― Carl Sagan

Very well done. Gas turbine engine is my area of 'expertise', and I have to say that this text is very well written, with many details showing how things work, but yet, it's simple enough for the general public to understand. :) By the way, the TF30 doesn't have a hyphen between TF and 30 :D (little detail LOL).

Here's a bit more information about the F110-GE-400 engines:

Length − Overall: 232 inches

Nominal Diameter: 45.5 inches

Max Radial Projection: 52 inches

Weight, Dry: 4494 lbs

Weight, Wet: 4592 lbs

MAX THRUST: 26,950 RPM: 14,666 (HPC) 8,257 (LPC) SFC: 2,104 AIRFLOW: 261 lbs/s

MAX CONTINUOU THRUST: 14,696 RPM: 14,459 (HPC) 8,038 (LPC) SFC: 0,576 AIRFLOW: 245 lbs/s

So a quick math shows that the engine at sea level, standard day conditions has a fuel flow of 56,702 pounds in an hour in AB. MAX CONTINUOUS having a Fuel flow (FF) of 8,622.

At an altitude of 35,000 at Mach 1.6 the -400 engine produces around 20,966 lbf and has an S.F.C of 2.261, airflow is 268 lbs/s.

Thanks for the update!

Edited by Vitormouraa

... and swing wings! (I was an avionics tech on these things!)

I was sheet metal on them back in the early 80s also the Fe-111

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Great work HeatBlur!

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Very well done. Gas turbine engine is my area of 'expertise', and I have to say that this text is very well written, with many details showing how things work, but yet, it's simple enough for the general public to understand. :) By the way, the TF30 doesn't have a hyphen between TF and 30 :D (little detail LOL).

Here's a bit more information about the F110-GE-400 engines:

Length − Overall: 232 inches

Nominal Diameter: 45.5 inches

Max Radial Projection: 52 inches

Weight, Dry: 4494 lbs

Weight, Wet: 4592 lbs

MAX THRUST: 26,950 RPM: 14,666 (HPC) 8,257 (LPC) SFC: 2,104 AIRFLOW: 261 lbs/s

MAX CONTINUOU THRUST: 14,696 RPM: 14,459 (HPC) 8,038 (LPC) SFC: 0,576 AIRFLOW: 245 lbs/s

So a quick math shows that the engine at sea level, standard day conditions has a fuel flow of 56,702 pounds in an hour in AB. MAX CONTINUOUS having a Fuel flow (FF) of 8,622.

At an altitude of 35,000 at Mach 1.6 the -400 engine produces around 20,966 lbf and has an S.F.C of 2.261, airflow is 268 lbs/s.

Thanks for the update!

Thanks - Heatblur has that PDF file as well. :)

Just for clarification, those conditions are a little different than those presented in the engine diagnostic panels.

-Nick

F-14 Development Update - Power!

Yes. I noticed that. OAT is higher, around 5°C above ICAO standards/standard day. It's a great PDF though, showing the differences between TF30 and F110. One thing I would like to know about the second graph/middle panel is, why did HB not apply ram drag? Not sure if I am blind or what lol, but I don't think ram drag was applied in that situation? Net and gross thrust are basically the same?

Edited by Vitormouraa

... and swing wings! (I was an avionics tech on these things!)

No air data computer though, so no auto sweep?

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

big news, interesting level of simulation q will be delivered in this module.

but with every news it seems more and more distant from the launch or is it just my impression?

Thanks Corbra for the update

Intel i7 7700K | ASUS MAXIMUN IX Hero | GSkill RBG 3000mhz 32G(4x8G) | MSI Trio 1080ti | 1x M.2 SSD Samsung 960PRO 512G | 1 x WesterDigital 4T | Corsair AX-850W | Monitor Alienware 34" aw3418dw | Oblisidian 800D |CORSAIR H80 | Teclado Logitech G15 |Mouse Razer DeathAdder Elite | Trackir 5 + Clip pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Pedal MFG Crosswind

I suspect (and could very well be wrong), that there's some discussion with ED and some strategizing on the part of HB to tailor an appropriate release date as they near completion. If they decide to wait until after Hornet sales die down, and that actually causes some delay of the Tomcat relative to when it could be earliest delivered, then it just means that the one delivered will be more feature-complete. We're losing a bit of early access time in that case, but not losing any playtime on the release version that is to come.

I'm with ya in wanting that bird now. I'd take whatever current iteration of chromecat that exists in a heartbeat at full price plus tip. But I satisfy myself with the understanding that later delivery means more complete module. We're going to be getting a gem.

No air data computer though, so no auto sweep?

Do the F-14's wings auto sweep? I think the computer in the FB-111A had magnetic core memory, that's about all I know about it. There was a wing sweep handle on the pilot''s side, along the canopy. I worked on comm/nav/ecm systems.

Win 10, Gigabyte Aorus Ultra with i5 9600KF @ 4.6GHz, 32G DDR4 3200 RAM, GTX 1070, TrackIR 5, TM Warthog stick on VPC Warbird base, Warthog Throttle for jets & helis, CH Throttle Quadrant for props, CH Pro Pedals, 500GB SSDs for installed sims :gun_smilie:

Do the F-14's wings auto sweep? I think the computer in the FB-111A had magnetic core memory, that's about all I know about it. There was a wing sweep handle on the pilot''s side, along the canopy. I worked on comm/nav/ecm systems.

yes, the wing sweep programmer, when left in auto, will automatically select the optimum wing sweep for the mach in question.

Seriously? You're modeling each stage of the engine separately?

Unbelievable! I can not wait for this airplane!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

I suspect (and could very well be wrong), that there's some discussion with ED and some strategizing on the part of HB to tailor an appropriate release date as they near completion. If they decide to wait until after Hornet sales die down, and that actually causes some delay of the Tomcat relative to when it could be earliest delivered, then it just means that the one delivered will be more feature-complete. We're losing a bit of early access time in that case, but not losing any playtime on the release version that is to come.

I'm with ya in wanting that bird now. I'd take whatever current iteration of chromecat that exists in a heartbeat at full price plus tip. But I satisfy myself with the understanding that later delivery means more complete module. We're going to be getting a gem.

I hope ED hasn't been screwing them around on release because of the barely A2A functioning F-18. Considering the F-14 was going to release to us before the end of the year unless something catastrophic happens :) And nothing catastrophic happened i am assuming that is the case although Heatblur will never admit that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm not sure about the FB but the F-111 does not have auto wing sweep.

"It's amazing, even at the Formula 1 level how many drivers still think the brakes are for slowing the car down."

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord