LANTIRN!

Cobra847

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! Does that mean we are getting PTIDS as well?

Regards

Depends on what year of the mid-90's F-14B they are modeling. LANTIRN TPS was available to the fleet in 1996 but the PTID wasn't available to the fleet until mid-1997.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Depends on what year of the mid-90's F-14B they are modeling. LANTIRN TPS was available to the fleet in 1996 but the PTID wasn't available to the fleet until mid-1997.

Ah ok. Screenshot seems to be taken to the TID fishbowl so it looks like we are not getting the PTIDS for the time being. Pity that HB models a specific model of such a tight timeframe

Regards!

PTID with LANTIRN in same time. fight fling 1995 in the video will found PTID.

PTID with LANTIRN in same time. fight fling 1995 in the video will found PTID.

That was video from testing.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Now that we are looking at LTS capability out of the gate, I'm seriously excited. I was gonna buy it anyway, but I was going to hope for precision strike at some point. The LTS-capable F-14B-150-GR is pretty much my favorite Tomcat variant.

I hope eventually we'll get LTS-capable F-14As as well. Being able to recreate VF-41's work developing the SCAR and FAC-A missions for the Tomcat or VF-154's detachment to Al Udeid AB would be a truly cool sim experience.

I also wonder if we'll eventually be able to buddy lase for other units, guiding LGBs and LGMs fired by allied aircraft. In OEF and OIF, sometimes F-14s filling the FAC-A role didn't expend all their own bombs because they were so busy lasing targets for allied jets.

Edited by Swordsman422

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

Kind of unrelated, but why is Heatblur making an A and B F-14 if it just means more work? Wouldn't it just be easier to implement a B version with all the fun toys like LANTIRN then people could just choose to do old loadouts? Don't crucify me here. I'm just curious as to why there is an A and B

Kind of unrelated, but why is Heatblur making an A and B F-14 if it just means more work? Wouldn't it just be easier to implement a B version with all the fun toys like LANTIRN then people could just choose to do old loadouts? Don't crucify me here. I'm just curious as to why there is an A and B

I think you might be a little confused about the A and B designations and what they imply... which is Ok because this stuff took the developers thousands of man hours to dig up I'm quite sure. The B in F-14B doesn't stand for bombs, or LANTIRN. I won't go thru a grocery list because it's been 20 years for me but the main difference between the original F14A and the B was that the F14B had more powerful GE-F110 engines, while le the F14A had the TF30, but then they started putting the F110 into the A after they canceled the B program... There were a lot more A models than B models.

If you are going to build a flagship DCS module on the F14, then you gotta have both engines. A lot of the avionics in the B model are the same as the A model so it's not 2 completely different planes tho they probably feel like they are when you fly them. I think they are just different enough.

I for one, would not give 2 rusty bolts for the Bombcat alone. I signed in for the F-14A and that is what i expect to get. Pity we won't be getting any late 70's, early 80's or AIM/ACEVAL versions....

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

1988-1996 is a narrow timeframe?

-Nick

If they model an specific F-14B variant that only happened to exist between 1995 and 1996 - yes, it is.

PTIDS-enabled F-14Bs however would cover a more extense timeframe - even without the SparrowHawk HUD. It would fit beautifully with ED's F/A-18 variant.

But I'm guessing that public info about the PTIDS is scarse

Regards!

If they model an specific F-14B variant that only happened to exist between 1995 and 1996 - yes, it is.

PTIDS-enabled F-14Bs however would cover a more extense timeframe - even without the SparrowHawk HUD. It would fit beautifully with ED's F/A-18 variant.

Regards!

They have already said that they will "continue their tomcat journey" and have kinda hinted that it maybe, possibly, probably will be either a late model B with all the toys or a D. So it cant be that scarse.

Regards!

Isn't that what everyone is doing? Nobody is implementing every single small change that happens on an airplane because it is simply not possible since changes occur constantly. Also what if you flew without a LANTIRN pod? Wouldn't that mean that you can cover aircraft before 1995?

Furthermore they model the F-14A with the TF-30 engines as well. This is something that we haven't for a single module in DCS. Would it be great if it is going to be implemented? Yes but even if it isn't, I don't think that it is a deal breaker. One of the biggest lessons you learn from the Tomcat story is work with what you have.

Yeah, I suppose that 1995-96 would be a narrow timeframe, but as my last post clarified - the planned F-14B will be representative of the aircraft as equipped from 1988-1996. :)

They have already said that they will "continue their tomcat journey" and have kinda hinted that it maybe, possibly, probably will be either a late model B with all the toys or a D. So it cant be that scarse.

Exactly, there is much that may be added with time. :thumbup: We'll have to see how it all comes together.

-Nick

I think what they mean with "mid-90's F-14B" is the post-Bombcat LTS capable jet but pre-Upgrade with the DFCS, and definitely pre-40K LTS. For the simmer, I don't think any of us will notice the difference in flight between a DFCS and non-DFCS F-14B, unless you have a force-feedback flight stick that is strong enough to need you to pump iron to fly it. The depot upgrades took a while, with VF-102 getting the first batch in 1998. VF-41 and VF-14's A-model jets didn't get DFCS until 1999, with the last one finished literally days before they left for deployment. The LTS laser was initially limited to 25K feet AGL or it would arc and short out. Right before OIF kicked off, a lot of the F-14 fleet got upgraded with a 40K feet LTS. Bs and Ds also got the JDAM data tape to carry GPS weapons.

For an ever-evolving platform, 1988-1996 isn't a bad target period. It was a good time to be a Tomcat guy, with the jet getting a new lease on life, and it was pretty busy performing not just the fleet defense/air superiority and recon roles, but taking over the precision strike and CAS role from the retiring A-6 Intruder. For Heatblur, it seems like a good target zone for the F-14B, with the coding and development done on an LTS-capable F-14B without having to push into the post-Upgrade before release. They can grow from here with the Sparrowhawk HUD, 40K LTS, and JDAM more quickly than it they'd planned to release an early F-14B covering 1988-1994. If they continue development, then we should have the final configuration F-14Bs in a few months to a year, with our appetites whetted by flying what we've already gotten.

Edited by Swordsman422

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

I was planning to pass about the Tomcat, now If we can search, lock and designate our own laser guided bombs, I will get the plane as soon as it's released. Are those birds also JDAM capable?

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

Are those birds also JDAM capable?

Probably only F-14B Upgrade and onward, because they utilize a EGI. Don't quote me on that though

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

JDAM was added to the F-14B and F-14D fleet in 2003 just prior to the OIF kickoff. The stores computer had to be updated with a data tape. The tapes were limited and were in a beta state upon release, kinda rushed out but it was deemed urgent if the F-14s were going to have a major role in OIF.

A year earlier a VF-103 jet nearly severed an oil pipeline with a misguided LGB and demand for the F-14 over the Iraqi SNFZ just about vanished for a while. Only the F-14B and D got JDAM. F-14As soldiered on without it until retired.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

JDAM was added to the F-14B and F-14D fleet in 2003 just prior to the OIF kickoff. The stores computer had to be updated with a data tape. The tapes were limited and were in a beta state upon release, kinda rushed out but it was deemed urgent if the F-14s were going to have a major role in OIF.

A year earlier a VF-103 jet nearly severed an oil pipeline with a misguided LGB and demand for the F-14 over the Iraqi SNFZ just about vanished for a while. Only the F-14B and D got JDAM. F-14As soldiered on without it until retired.

JDAM was added to the F-14B fleet in 2001

Ugh, that's right. F-14Bs got them integrated earlier. It was the Ds that didn't get them until '03 because of test issues with the D04. VF-11 made the first combat drop of a JDAM from an F-14 in March of 2002.

Regardless, JDAM integration stands outside the original release timeframe for Heatblur's Tomcats, but we'll probably get it eventually.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

Whilst I was re-watching the Fighter Fling 2004 video on YouTube (

), I noticed there was quite a lot of footage in there pertaining to the targetting pod. Although I am fairly certain most of you have already seen this over and over (including the good people from HB), I nevertheless thought it nice to post (some of it) it here.

oGeduTC.gif

Dq7ZbiJ.gif

AFy1j8h.gif

7u36oJm.gif

I have not posted all the gifs from that video (which I recommend you watch): I have compiled all of them including stills of said TGP footage into an imgur album here: https://imgur.com/a/N1eSN

Now, there is a good chance that most of these are clips from the F-14D, as it appears that the symbology is quite different (square tracking gates, no masking lines). However, I would like to point towards both the impact counter (TIMP + 01) and the DIVE indicators shown in the images that appear to be of the F-14B; I presume the images with the square tracking gate and the vertical / horizontal direction indicators to be of the F-14D.

Edited by Nanne118
Sorry for the edits, apperantly BBcode requires you to specify image formats or it will not show the intended image at all
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Groundpounder extraordinaire

SPECS: i7-4790K, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 16 GB RAM, MSI GTX 980ti, Thrustmaster WARTHOG HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals, TrackIR 5