** AIM-54 Phoenix CFD Whitepaper! **

Cobra847

Fox Three!

For DCS: F-14, an accurate simulation of the AIM-54A and C Phoenix missiles is integral to the realism and recreation of real life combat scenarios for the F-14.

We’ve poured months of time into conducting research, scavenging for documentation and performing CFD simulations, all in order to give ourselves a better understanding of what this missile is capable of.

We now believe that we have a very firm grasp of the actual performance of the AIM-54 with both Mk.47 and Mk. 60 engines.

We’ve promised to be transparent with our research and conclusions on the AIM-54-- in part as we want to ensure high levels of confidence in our implementation, which is especially important in the MP Arena.

We’ve prepared a short whitepaper on some of our conclusions and findings at the link below. :)

Enjoy!

Sincerely,

Heatblur

PHX_00.thumb.jpg.d85e441abf7653fe5aabddfbd2d5ce61.jpg

PHX_01.thumb.jpg.058938d08d7e45bfa79f12f285959739.jpg

PHX_02.thumb.jpg.c4abedc979096157185b6d67bbabc4e4.jpg

PHX_03.thumb.jpg.a01fcfb49958b4dce81a82767b9e0f9d.jpg

• Like 4

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

We were commissioned to perform simulations at level flight (0 AoA) for 6km and 12km altitude; these altitudes were chosen as these are the most likely altitudes the missile will be fired from.

:thinking: i'm not sure the 104th ever got that memo lmao

:thinking: i'm not sure the 104th ever got that memo lmao

:megalol:

Adding a tree top test?! :D

EDIT: no matter how much i spread it around, still not enough rep for Cobra :(

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Read through the paper. I'm not a missile design engineer so a little clarification is needed here so I can better understand it. With the missile limited to seven g's, vice the 18 g's it is rated at IRL, the in game missile will be sacrificing maneuverability for correctish range numbers due to game engine limitations. Is that a correct conclusion or is there more to it than that?

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

The 7g limit was used for testing loft. When ED introduces better guidance, this sort of limit will be temporary for the duration of the loft only. So I hope :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Great stuff guys!

Thanks for posting Cobra, very interesting.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Read through the paper. I'm not a missile design engineer so a little clarification is needed here so I can better understand it. With the missile limited to seven g's, vice the 18 g's it is rated at IRL, the in game missile will be sacrificing maneuverability for correctish range numbers due to game engine limitations. Is that a correct conclusion or is there more to it than that?

[–]IASGATG[S] 3 points 3 hours ago

Unfortunately it does go full PN after loft which does bleed energy. Limiting the max g was an attempt to mitigate this but we are probably going to increase the max g to make fighter interceptsc more realistic.

I'm thoroughly excited about the attention to detail Heatblur is using in their work. I'd like a link to the defineable "limitations" of the engine. ED needs to modify the engine to make the missile dynamics more realistic. Limiting the weapon to 7G effectively makes it a bomber/missile killer only. ED prioritize fixing the missile code over any WWII stuff.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk

Great read! It's always interesting to get more insight into the development process. :thumbup:

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

SW is a great tool, right? ;) Next you need to calculate Drag vs AoA up to 30des/s (by steps of 1 up to 5deg, over by 5deg steps eeg.) to efficiently implement energy loss due to increased AoA in tracking turns.

I hope that we will see something similar conducted on other missile and plane models set on various configurations and AoA ranges.

Anyway, nice work guys thumbup.gif This gets better for now, and most important, more professional.

Edited by jackmckay

SW is a great tool, right? ;) Next you need to calculate Drag vs AoA up to 30des/s (by steps of 1 up to 5deg, over by 5deg steps eeg.) to efficiently implement energy loss due to increased AoA in tracking turns.

I hope that we will see something similar conducted on other missile and plane models set on various configurations and AoA.

Ideally, but the time/cost of such an exercise is pretty massive for something like this. Also you have to consider the limitations in the game engine, making such an exercise likely pointless. It'd would help justify the g-limit, but beyond that you wouldn't get much out of it.

Awesome work!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord