Forrestal Development Update: Deck Crew WiP!

Cobra847

just MIND BLOWING!... please, can we have some video of this in movement? ;)

We'll be showing off plenty more of our crew as we continue along.

We have to create all the other <colour>-shirts too! :)

FWIW; this is a game-ready, FPS-friendly, WYSIWYG model. It will look like this, and it will not impact your FPS in any significant way due to the detail level.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

This is just amazing! Unbelievable detail! I'm so excited to see this all come together with the Tomcat and Forrestal. It will literally be 30+years of dreams for a sim come true! Thanks again for all the hard work!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

looks amazing!

do you built this upon a global dcs frameworl for carrier operations, or do you code all the interactions and mechanics yourself and specifically for the forrestal?

i hope there will be some form of global framework, so that interaction with the different naval paltforms (heatblur, razbam, ED) is coherent between the modules.

can you already say sth. about this, or is it still top secret until ED presents their very own carrier implementation.

FWIW; this is a game-ready, FPS-friendly, WYSIWYG model. It will look like this, and it will not impact your FPS in any significant way due to the detail level.

Dont worry, I understand!...cant wait to see those models in movement!!thanks a lot! :thumbup:

Take a look at my MODS here

Considering the impressive level of detail in Cobra's OP, and even though I know the high poly is done to create various maps, I have to ask:

Is that level of detail on one item actually worth the time vs completing other work?

It's a genuine question considering the work that goes into just DCS aircraft, let alone the other little extra's that Heatblur are doing for the F-14.

Edited by Buzzles

Considering the impressive level of detail in Cobra's OP, and even though I know the high poly is done to create various maps, I have to ask:

Is that level of detail on one item actually worth the time vs completing other work?

It's a genuine question considering the work that goes into just DCS aircraft, let alone the other little extra's that Heatblur are doing for the F-14.

I think quality ALWAYS is worth it!!!:)...also, I guess they are using some kind of texture scanning? to achieve that crazy level of quality right? it would be insane to do this by hand :D

Take a look at my MODS here

This is just amazing! Unbelievable detail! I'm so excited to see this all come together with the Tomcat and Forrestal. It will literally be 30+years of dreams for a sim come true! Thanks again for all the hard work!

What that guy said! :thumbup:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm sorry to say this,but you are in the wrong field. You should be working at LucasFilms or Pixar. Awesome work!!

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

Ya know honestly...if I get a couple of Yellow shirts moving me around the deck, a yellow shirt in front getting me on the Cat and a Shooter...the rest can be semi static for all I care!

Great work guys...

Remember..."Mr. Greenshirt" is Vince from south philly...

He's cool...

Edited by Sierra99

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

I was thinking the same thing.. Don't get me wrong guys I think HB's work is truly stunning but I think they get a little carried away with texture work that will barely even be visible.. I mean look at the pic of the boot and the wear.. really..? DCS is already resource hungry enough and IMHO these resources could be better utilized.

I was thinking the same thing.. Don't get me wrong guys I think HB's work is truly stunning but I think they get a little carried away with texture work that will barely even be visible.. I mean look at the pic of the boot and the wear.. really..? DCS is already resource hungry enough and IMHO these resources could be better utilized.

its not like they will only use it on DCS... btw, prolly not the same guy doing textures than doing the code...

I7 7700k - Msi Z270 Gaming+

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

2x Samsung 850EVO 250/500 - 1x HDD 1TB

SAITEK-MAD CATZ CYBORG FLY 5 STICK

WIN 10

I am speechless. Its fantastic.

Those guys "running" around the F-14. Its only amazing. If you are putting so much detail into crew members and the Forestal Class, the F-14 will be mindblowing.

Great work HB, this kind of work will turn the tide of gameplay and immersion at least for me.

S!

DCS is already resource hungry enough and IMHO these resources could be better utilized.

True, flight sims are notorious for never having enough computing power to really stretch their legs, but there is also this funny dichotomy where flight sims don't necessarily use up-to-date techniques. But the sense that the visuals are a lesser priority might also be part of the reason.

DCS (imho) is the best looking flight sim that I have seen (most brand new things I've seen primarily on youtube), but there are other games/programs out there that take it even further.

Flight sims frequently find themselves behind the curve on visuals, despite the fact that they are pretty important for completing the experience. This is especially true as VR becomes mainstream. But you don't get modern visual rendering techniques unless someone is pushing those boundaries and finding a way to make beautiful artwork function well in the simulator. As developers press forward, they find ways of building artwork that also performs well and this can lead to improved overall performance as new methods are integrated.

Its not a guarantee of improvements and often these improvements offset the improved artwork, but I think it is better to keep pushing forward. Even if it seems like a rocky transition in the short-term.

Just my 2 cents,

Nick

Hi Nic,

if you want i will borrow you some shirts :megalol: (red, purple white, brown, yellow etc), so we will get faster to that module and you have less work :lol:

In response to Cobra's claim from Hoggit:

1 x 4096 for the entire body, hands and feet. 1x 2048 for the Helmet and various equipment, 1x Mixed for the face (256 tiled -> 1024). Of course, tripled due to Albedo + Normal + channelpacked PBR.

Will probably end up being a total of 7-8 mb VRAM when optimized and complete.

That's not how the graphics pipeline works AFAIK. Compression saves bandwidth, but not processing power. While the compressed textures are sent to GPU in this form, they have to be uncompressed and processed in full (though probably not all at once - heavy optimization happening on the GPU). But at some point you're going to load the engine with hundreds of megabytes of textures. Per skin.

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Dude, Cobra said "when optimized". Wait and see.

Well, if Cobra wants to "optimize" by reducing texture size, then the final product won't really look in game as it's being shown currently on screenshots. And if he wants to "optimize" by texture compression, then it won't save the memory as he claims.

Besides, I can already see what Mig-21 and Viggen do to FPS in my sim. They look great though, so I can accept some performance cost. Just not sure if having a deck crew with 3D watches is worth it.

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro