DEVELOPMENT UPDATE #3: Phoenix Rising!

Cobra847

Honestly, interpreting cobras last statements we will see a viggen preorder or even release annoucement. :D For development update its a little late considering its nearly finished. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's some really amazing work. Thanks for the update!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Wow!

This update could have been handled as "Hey guys, we're working on the Phoenix' flight characteristics.", but no... we get a full fledged insight with amazing details! :thumbup:

This was interesting read and as all the others already said, it seems like you bring it to a new level. Lovely!

- Deutsche Tutorials und DCS Gameplay: youtube.com/Rakuzard | raku.yt/discord -

Sounds good.

Although I would have loved to hear more about those disadvantages you mentioned.

The AIM-54 is seen as some kind of magical remote destruction device by many people, and I think it might be an advantage to have information about its weaknesses available before release so we can point people complaining they don't hit to that information. :)

Sounds good.

Although I would have loved to hear more about those disadvantages you mentioned.

The AIM-54 is seen as some kind of magical remote destruction device by many people, and I think it might be an advantage to have information about its weaknesses available before release so we can point people complaining they don't hit to that information. :)

There are exactly 2 ways of looking at the Phoenix.

1. Click Delete. To these people that Phoenix will lock on to you from the next continent over, pursue you tirelessly for three weeks before tracking you down at your mother in laws house, knock politely on the door, double check that it's you and annihilate you from existence.

2. Finned Paperweight. These folks are absolutely convinced that any claims of accuracy of maneuverability are pure fabrications made by the department of propaganda (a subsidiary of the US Treasury). The weapon does not actually have a rocket motor and is in fact the only weapon capable of missing the ground. They ignore all Iranian claims and loudly point out the failure to ignite times the US used it as the only actual true information about the weapon.

• Like 2

There are exactly 2 ways of looking at the Phoenix.

1. Click Delete. To these people that Phoenix will lock on to you from the next continent over, pursue you tirelessly for three weeks before tracking you down at your mother in laws house, knock politely on the door, double check that it's you and annihilate you from existence.

2. Finned Paperweight. These folks are absolutely convinced that any claims of accuracy of maneuverability are pure fabrications made by the department of propaganda (a subsidiary of the US Treasury). The weapon does not actually have a rocket motor and is in fact the only weapon capable of missing the ground. They ignore all Iranian claims and loudly point out the failure to ignite times the US used it as the only actual true information about the weapon.

Haha, great and so true.

I would still love to have a real info about all that in a central place.

I mean: There were surely good reasons to carry both Aim-7 and Aim-54 in one loadout. Same as carrying both Aim-120 and Aim-7 on the F-15C (which doesn't make too much sense in DCSW I think, but it does in real life I guess).

Haha, great and so true.

I would still love to have a real info about all that in a central place.

I mean: There were surely good reasons to carry both Aim-7 and Aim-54 in one loadout. Same as carrying both Aim-120 and Aim-7 on the F-15C (which doesn't make too much sense in DCSW I think, but it does in real life I guess).

Weight. The Aim-54 is 1,000lbs. The 4 rail adaptors for the belly carry was another 400lbs each. Sure the Tomcat's big, but even that bird is affected by the weight. Fun fact, the reason why the 6 Phoenix loadout was so rare (except in certain battlegroups because they were nuts/awesome) is because it exceeds the safe return weight. You hang a total of 8,000lbs (rails which you can't ditch, and missiles) off an aircraft and you limit maneuverability, and it's an outright pain in the ass for handlers to load because of it.

If you're going into a dogfight you don't want that weight. Which is why the air superiority load is with Sparrows.

Weight. The Aim-54 is 1,000lbs. The 4 rail adaptors for the belly carry was another 400lbs each. Sure the Tomcat's big, but even that bird is affected by the weight. Fun fact, the reason why the 6 Phoenix loadout was so rare (except in certain battlegroups because they were nuts/awesome) is because it exceeds the safe return weight. You hang a total of 8,000lbs (rails which you can't ditch, and missiles) off an aircraft and you limit maneuverability, and it's an outright pain in the ass for handlers to load because of it.

If you're going into a dogfight you don't want that weight. Which is why the air superiority load is with Sparrows.

Standard load-out, at least during the Cold War days, was two Phoenix, three Sparrow, and two Sidewinders.

Sounds good.

We're going to be publishing all of our findings and information openly, and it will also be available in the manual etc. This is important for the transparency in how the missile works and performs, both for adversaries and those using the missile.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

We're going to be publishing all of our findings and information openly, and it will also be available in the manual etc. This is important for the transparency in how the missile works and performs, both for adversaries and those using the missile.

:thumbup:

Also, I would like to know that too:

who are those two guys ?

maybe Márton Szabó ??? and ???

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Great update, nice read and an interesting insight into the process of creating the basis for a high fidelity flight model. I´m guessing a similar path is being followed when creating the data for fuselage segments that form the base of the "big" FMs.

:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

Really excited for this module, thanks for the update :)

Quick question, I've read somewhere (probably wikipedia...) that the AIM-54 was able to intercept low flying cruise and high flying anti-ship missiles, will the in-game AIM-54 be capable of doing this too? The sheer panic of detecting a TU-22 slipping through your CAP and firing its Kh-22 missiles at your carrier, and then desperately trying to lock and fire your phoenixes at its missiles would be exhilarating!

Edited by cosmicdoubloon
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That would depend on the reality of the TU-22 AI and cruise missile coding. In Third Wires survey sim, before they NERFed it, You caught a slight bit of reality in that you NEED to kill the bombers before they shoot, if the cruise missiles are high altitude/high speed VAMPYREs. Your flight of 4 can have a 95% hit rate with your AIM-54s and the 4 missiles that beat your screen kind of ensure one will get through and kill your carrier. I'd like to see how 18-20 F-14s (rest down for maintenance) in a 1980s deploy launch with 2IR/2SAHR/4 AIM-54 to protect the carrier when the fleet gets attacked by a surrounded mixed bag of TU-22 and TU-95 shooters going high and low from all directions. AEGIS would be very busy shooting as well.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk

Quick question, I've read somewhere (probably wikipedia...) that the AIM-54 was able to intercept low flying cruise and high flying anti-ship missiles, will the in-game AIM-54 be capable of doing this too? The sheer panic of detecting a TU-22 slipping through your CAP and firing its Kh-22 missiles at your carrier, and then desperately trying to lock and fire your phoenixes at its missiles would be exhilarating!

You can intercept antishipping and cruise missiles in DCS already with the current air-to-air missiles- they are like any other air target. They (typically) have a small RCS, but they don't evade and most of them aren't all that fast, so they are usually pretty easy to take down.

You might actually be able to shoot down pretty much anything that flies, SAMs and AAMs included, provided its slow and close enough for your radar to detect. IR missiles def. pick up other missiles when the motor is burning.

If you have the time to read Tom Clancy, check out Red Storm Rising. It has a serious nightmare scenario with Russian strategic bomber forces operating in the North Atlantic against NATO carrier groups and naval convoys. That alone could be the basis for several very good scenarios involving the Phoenix and our beloved Tomcat! Now if there were a North Atlantic map in the works!:music_whistling::pilotfly:

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy