What's your favorite F-14 livery?

Hummingbird

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of these would be highly appropriate given the SoH map and possible scenarios in DCS in general.

Persian-F14.jpg

2438069.jpg

f_14_Tanker.jpg

e9682-iran_f14_aim54.jpg?w=640&h=362

iiaff14.jpg

Certainly, though it's interesting that IRIAF F-14s spent little to no time in the Strait of Hormuz. I'm not sure why, it might be that Bandar Abbas is not secure enough, being so close to the coast and vulnerable to Iraqi (or US during the late-80s) strikes.

The Iranians primarily based their Tomcats at Khatami (the original Tomcat master base near Isfahan - beautiful place BTW, my parents visited Isfahan a few years ago) and near Tehran and Shiraz. There was a brief detachment to Bushehr as well, probably to reduce flight times for the standing Tomcat garrison of Khark island.

Certainly Tomcats could have flown to the Strait from Shiraz or Khatami, it's a distance of around ~200 nm, well within the Tomcat's combat radius. There was one report of a detachment of F-14s operating at Bandar Abbas in 1988 (based on one statement by the USN), but this was just after the USS Vincennes shot down an A300 flying from Bandar Abbas and claimed it was an IRIAF F-14. They may have been trying to make their mistake seem more plausible, especially since no USN forces had encountered an IRIAF F-14 during their time in the SoH.

It's possible that USN F-14s may have logged more flight hours in and around the SoH than the IRIAF - kind of ironic!

VF-21 Engaged a pair of IRIAF F-4Es in 1987

image031.jpg

And aircraft of CVW-11 spent a lot of time in the strait

NH_106_1987upload.png

That said, I welcome IRIAF scenarios in the Strait, both for the F-14A and F-5E. But most scenarios would probably pit the IRIAF against US/NATO forces, there wasn't much IRIAF vs IrAF combat in the Strait - it's a really long flight for IrAF fighters (though IrAF Mirage F1s would fly there to launch exocets - the IRIAF would enjoy shooting those down).

-Nick

I bought the NTTR map with the intent of using that as a generic middle eastern map, should work for Iran/Iraq scenarios. The SoH could also be interesting for a hypothetical Iran vs Saudi + allies scenario (F-14 + F-5 vs F-15 + Mirage 2000 in addition to choppers/attackers).

• 4 weeks later...
Certainly, though it's interesting that IRIAF F-14s spent little to no time in the Strait of Hormuz. I'm not sure why, it might be that Bandar Abbas is not secure enough, being so close to the coast and vulnerable to Iraqi (or US during the late-80s) strikes.

The Iranians primarily based their Tomcats at Khatami (the original Tomcat master base near Isfahan - beautiful place BTW, my parents visited Isfahan a few years ago) and near Tehran and Shiraz. There was a brief detachment to Bushehr as well, probably to reduce flight times for the standing Tomcat garrison of Khark island.

Certainly Tomcats could have flown to the Strait from Shiraz or Khatami, it's a distance of around ~200 nm, well within the Tomcat's combat radius. There was one report of a detachment of F-14s operating at Bandar Abbas in 1988 (based on one statement by the USN), but this was just after the USS Vincennes shot down an A300 flying from Bandar Abbas and claimed it was an IRIAF F-14. They may have been trying to make their mistake seem more plausible, especially since no USN forces had encountered an IRIAF F-14 during their time in the SoH.

It's possible that USN F-14s may have logged more flight hours in and around the SoH than the IRIAF - kind of ironic!

VF-21 Engaged a pair of IRIAF F-4Es in 1987

image031.jpg

And aircraft of CVW-11 spent a lot of time in the strait

NH_106_1987upload.png

That said, I welcome IRIAF scenarios in the Strait, both for the F-14A and F-5E. But most scenarios would probably pit the IRIAF against US/NATO forces, there wasn't much IRIAF vs IrAF combat in the Strait - it's a really long flight for IrAF fighters (though IrAF Mirage F1s would fly there to launch exocets - the IRIAF would enjoy shooting those down).

-Nick

The incident involving the USS Vincennes was a calculated Iranian mission. I was in the Gulf during that incident. Shortly after the aircraft was shot down we were tasked at retrieving bodies. Problem is the bodies should not have been discovered so quickly? Why? The bodies had signs of post decomposition that was later confirmed during autopsies on the bodies.

System 1:

Windows 10 Pro 22H2 Build 19045.4123 - Core i7 3770K/Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)/32GB G-Skill Trident X DDR3 CL7-8-8-24/Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB - drivers 551.61/LG Blue Ray DL Burner/1TB Crucial MX 500 SSD/(x2)1TBMushkinRAWSSDs/2TB PNY CS900 SSD/Corsair RM750w PSU/Rosewill Mid Challenger Tower/34" LG LED Ultrawide 2560x1080p/Saitek X56 HOTAS/TrackIR 5 Pro/Thermaltake Tt esports Commander Gear Combo/Oculus Quest 2/TM 2xMFD Cougar/InateckPCIeUSB3.2KU5211-R

System 2:

Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3296 - MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US - i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi/32GB DDR5 5600mhz RAM/RTX 4060/2TB nVME SSD/4TB 2.5in SSD/650w Gold PSU

Whether you are talking F-4s or F-14s, I have two favorite liveries from the USN: Sundowners and Jolly Rogers.

F/A-18s are a different story. The one livery I love more than any other is the blue and gold prototype F/A-18A.

There is one more USN livery I love, perhaps more than the others, but F-14s never carried it: the Blue Angels.

How is it the the Blue Angels never flew the F-14? and the Thunderbirds never flew the F-15? Screw the bean counters! Someone was looking out for me though, my all-time favorite, the F-4, flew in both Blue Angels and Thunderbirds colors. Shamefully, the F-35 will probably be the only other aircraft besides the F-4 to achieve that record.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Shamefully, the F-35 will probably be the only other aircraft besides the F-4 to achieve that record.

I seriously doubt either team will ever move to the F-35... far too expensive an aircraft to fly as a demo aircraft. (and far too ugly in my opinion) The DoD is going to want every single airframe it buys to either train pilots or work for a living. They are currently scraping the bottom of the money barrels for every single airframe they buy - and dedicating 16-18 of those airframes strictly for demo teams is simply not going to happen.

The biggest modification is that they would have to remove the stealth coating in order to paint them blue or white - that alone is an extremely costly process. Just too many expensive modifications would be needed to use it as a demo aircraft.

Besides, the Blue Angels are planning to move to the Super Hornet in the near future (they recently sent Boeing some kind of RFP for converting the SH to a demo aircraft) and they will fly that for at least 10+ years.

I can pretty much guarantee you that the Air Force's budget will never include F-35s for Thunderbirds - they'll stick with F-16s until the end of their service life - then they'll probably switch to the next-gen trainer that is currently in the proposal phase.

Edited by ggerman

The "MiG-31" adversary livery would be awesome, along with Iranian skins, for OpFor slots on MP servers.

Other than that? VF-48 - splash the Zeros!

i7-4770k | EVGA GTX 980 SC | 16GB DDR3 | TrackIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

DCS: F-16C, F/A-18C, F-14A/B, AV-8B, FC3, A-10C, Black Shark II, UH-1H, F-86F, MiG-21bis, Mirage 2000C, AJS-37, F-5E :pilotfly:

Other than that? VF-48 - splash the Zeros!

You mean VF-84? music_whistling.gif LOL!!

If you look closely at the renders, you'll see that the pilots are wearing the classic VF-84 yellow helmets! I think we're sure to get VF-84 as one of the liveries! :thumbup:

Ya know...if I hadn't become an Air Force pilot, I would have probably been a Naval aviator instead... and VF-84 was the squadron I would've wanted to be in! My best friend in high school JROTC went on to the Naval Academy and became a Tomcat driver in VF-84! Those guys were legendary! Too bad the squadron was de-activated. FEAR THE BONES!

Edited by ggerman

VF-84 was decommissioned, but the bones were transferred to VF-103 (now VFA-103). So the Jolly Rogers are still around, just with a new designation. :thumbup:

Yes.. I knew that... same logo... but different culture in 103 than in 84.

Yes.. I knew that... same logo... but different culture in 103 than in 84.

Well to be fair, it has been my experience that the squadrons culture is massively affected by it's triad of leadership (CO, XO, CMC) so it was probably not the same culture for more than two to three years in a row. I was hoping for LNS to do a F4U-1/F4U-1A Corsair (with both canopy types) so we could have the original VF-17 Jolly Rogers as they were in the Solomons campaign.

VF-142... because Ghostriders! They had an outstanding squadron reputation when they were decommissioned as well.:thumbup:

F-14A_of_VF-142_launches_AIM-54_in_1987.jpg

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Well to be fair, it has been my experience that the squadrons culture is massively affected by it's triad of leadership (CO, XO, CMC) so it was probably not the same culture for more than two to three years in a row.

The other factor is that the post-Tailhook VF-103 can't really be compared to the Tailhook era VF-84, back when PC was just the thing you did evals on. :mad:

Sure, VF-84 was around post tailhook (1996), but its reputation was solidified before 1992, when the leftists destroyed the entire culture of Naval Aviation.

My vote goes to the VF-2 Bounty Hunters of course! Can't wait to fly it in DCS!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord