What's your favorite F-14 livery?

Hummingbird

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a bunch of personal pics of both that bird and the pencil from workups and the 2005-06 cruise. Also have pics of VF-213's "white" bird, Lion 200 and 201.

I'm partial to the 1985 VF-142 markings. The first Tomcat model I built as a kid was in those markings.

F-14A_VF-142_Ghostriders_Jan_1985.JPEG

And the TPS is OK too

1717433.jpg

Of course, being a former Vampire (albeit after the Tomcats were gone), I have a want for the VX-9 markings as well. I remember seeing 164604 at NADEP NORIS in 1998 while I was stationed there with VS-41.

vannu01_l.JPG

11.jpg

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

VF-84 is nice but something else than gray and black make it look unusual! So VF-1 :thumbup:

h1.jpg

Prend ton temps mais fait ca vite :cold:... LG34''21:9 Asus 23''monitors Intel i7-4590 EVGA 1070 Superclocked Gskills 4x4G RAM Fatal1ty AsRock Z97 killer motherboard in a HAF black box with 4 CH products plug in and logitech G510, F310, M510 and M570 plus trackIR 5!

I've gotta go with Santa Cat, the VF-103 Jolly Rogers CO bird done up for the holidays.

f14-photo-vf103-17l1_zps672de614.jpg

The holidays when on cruise seem to bring out interesting marking adjustments.

Picture1246.jpg

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

I knew this day would come....;)

I'm easy and like nearly every F-14 squadron. However, I really like the look of plain grey Tomcats, partly because it is the way the aircraft usually looked operationally and because it shows of the true shape of the aircraft best (the same way that most car designers prefer to first see their creation in silver).

Here is my favorite F-14B scheme:

jr1-new.jpg

I have many favorites when it comes to F-14As :D

I like this VF-14 scheme, TPS with just a touch of color:

image090.jpg

I know that the VF-111 "sharkmouth" is very popular, but I like the F-14's nose better without it. I am a big fan of this TPS VF-111 scheme, its in my top three (look further for the other 2):

F-14A_Tomcat_of_VF-111_launches_AIM-7M_in_February_1991.jpg

For a Hi-viz Tomcat scheme, nothing compares with this VF-114 scheme from their 1986 World cruise. I love the colors with some additional interest from the false canopy. Always strikes a chord for me, just awesome in my book!

DN-ST-86-11445.jpg

DN-ST-86-11450.jpg

Lastly, my favorite squadron is....don't have to say it do I? ;)

VF-213 has always had relatively simple markings that just look right to me. Their insignia has changed a bit over the years, but the Lion from their 1986 (and 1988 ) cruise looked the best stylistically. They returned to this Lion emblem for their final years with the F-14D (though slightly bulkier), a wise choice! :D

Their 1980s TPS Tomcats also had a false canopy like their VF-114 brethren - makes the cool TPS scheme a bit more interesting and unique.

DN-ST-86-11434.jpg

Thanks for asking Hummingbird. :)

-Nick

I'm partial to the 1985 VF-142 markings. The first Tomcat model I built as a kid was in those markings.

Interesting. A close friend's first model was an Italeri F-14A in 1/72 scale model with those markings so always thought they were pretty cool. They seem to be quite rare.

My first Tomcat model was the Italeri F-14A Plus one (so F-14B) and it had lo-vis VF-74 markings on a TPS scheme.

F-14VF-74.jpg

Since there was no mention of the later VF-101 markings so far so I'll just post a few. I prefer the lo-vis ones by far so if I ever get to making that 1/48 F-14B model, I'll probably use those.

med_gallery_12658_537_87367.jpg

3e65a9cf6066b91bf9c1e21b237cc8fe.jpg

I got some low-vis VF-2 markings for the F-14D and hi-vis VF-111 for an F-14A if and when I get around to building those, although I'd prefer VF-1 if I could find the lo-vis ones. I guess I prefer the subtler lo-vis look.

index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=screenshot&record=428964&id=29516&full=1

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I agree with Grundar. I used to own a toy F14 in that livery (or one very very close to it) when i was a little kid and remember it dearly. When i think of F14 i think of that livery

Yep whenever I think of the F-14 I think of the V-84 markings specifically the early ones though I do like the lower vis with the black tail, looks great and I've never seen that one before!

Back when TopGun came out it was the F-14 poster-boy movie though I remember seeing The Final Countdown and VF-84 being in that. Not to mention around that time Robotech/Macross was on TV and Roy Fokker flew a very similar livery to a VF-84 F-14 as "Skull Leader".

One of my early model kits was a 144 scale F-14 in VF-84 livery.

I still get delighted when i see that livery about.

I do like the Aardvark one too though, my dad got me a 1:48 scale F-14 model kit from the Red October movie (i think) and that Aardvark just looked cool - would make a great T-shirt image lol and less threatening than a skull and crossbone one.