Performance on Multi-Monitor-Setup

xxJohnxx

Hi,

I have lately started to do some testing on a multi monitor setup for DCS. I wanted to share some of the early results with you and would like to hear opinions from people using similar setups.

I use three identical 1920x1080 screens, giving me a resolution of 5760x1080.

This resolution is set within DCS, together with the 1 Monitor option (the 3 Monitor option makes the side screens look weird).

My testing mainly concentrated on the use of NVIDIA surround and the fullscreen vs. non-fullscreen mode of DCS.

For testing I used a short track (see attachments) and FRAPS to log the FPS.

Test #1:

NVIDIA-Surround: enabled

DCS Fullscreen: enabled

This configuration resulted in maximum FPS. There where no visible stutters.

However, alt-tabing out and especially back into DCS proves a bit difficult, as it takes quit some time.

Test #2:

NVIDIA-Surround: enabled

DCS Fullscreen: disabled

This configuration resulted in lower FPS. The average FPS where above 40, however visible stutter could be noticed when the view was moving fast or when close to the ground.

Alt-tabing out and back in works without problem.

Test #3:

NVIDIA-Surround: disabled

DCS Fullscreen: enabled

This configuration resulted in similar FPS to Test #2. The stuttering in fast view changes and close to ground was very similar to Test #2 as well.

Alt-tabing is problematic and it takes some time to get back into the program.

Test #4:

This configuration again resulted in similar FPS to Test #2 and #3. The stuttering was the same as in Test #2 and #3 as well.

Alt tabing however, works flawlessly and fast.

FPS Comparison:

9QL9tOH.jpg

As you can clearly see, runing DCS with NVIDIA Surround and in the fullscreen mode gives me nearly twice as much frames as all the other tested posibilites. Generally the simulation feels running smother.

I am wondering what could cause the huge drop between the active and disabled fullscreen mode of DCS. Back when using 1 monitor there wasn't a noticable change at all, wheras here, it is quit diffrent...

Just to clearify, all the 4 tests had DCS World displayed over 3 monitors in 5760x1080 resolution.

There is also more to test about the enabled vs. disabled surround mode. The problem is: When deactivating surround in order to have all displays running, my setup is forced out of SLI, which might explain the huge diffrence between non-surround fullscreen vs. surround fullscreen.

I will do more testing on this once I get myselfe the necessary adapters to overcome this problem.

Another point worthwile having a look at would be SoftTH. Understanding that it uses one graphic card to render the whole picutre and then send it to the diffrent ports, it might also have posetiv or negativ impact on performance when running with/without SLI. I plan to do some more testing on this also.

I would appriciate your inputs and comments on this matter. I would like to get most out of this setup, and I guess we all could benefit from exchanged experiences!

Best regards,

John

FPS Test Track.trk

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

Today I changed my wiring, so all monitors would be connected to one card.

This allows me to run SLI without having to use NVIDIA Surround. The results are intresting:

Test #5:

DCS Fullscreen: disabledThis test resulted in slightly lower FPS than Test #1. However, it felt smooth when moving the head and when close to the ground. Alt-tabing out and back in possible without problems.

Test #6:

This test resulted in slightly lower FPS than Test #1 and Test #2. However, it felt smooth when moving the head and when close to the ground. Alt-tabing is problematic and it takes some time to get back into the program.

FPS Comparison:

e08XLx7.jpg

As you can see, running in NVIDIA Surround with DCS in fullscreen mode gives just slightly more FPS than running in non-Surround SLI in fullscreen and especially in windowed mode.

This is a huge benefit, especially as the windowed mode doesn't take such a big hit on performance as it did when running in SLI.

The 3 diffrent modes in the NVIDIA controllpanel used for the tests:

Test #1 & Test #2:

sOojBuf.jpg

Setup:

Two monitors are connected to the first GTX780. (One DisplayPort, one HDMI)

The third monitor is connected to the second GTX780. (Display Port)

Within the NVIDIA Controll Panel "Surround" has been selected.

Test #3 & Test #4:

w50xdwb.jpg

Setup:

The third monitor is connected to the second GTX780. (Display Port)

Within the NVIDIA Controll Panel "Activate all monitors" has been selected.

Test #5 & Test #6:

yHx4xy2.jpg

Setup:

The third monitor is connected to the first GTX780 over a DisplayPort daisy-chain.

Within the NVIDIA Controll Panel "Enable SLI (maximum 3D performance)" has been selected.

Conclusion:

All the 6 tests performed showed that SLI has an huge impact on performance. Running without SLI (Test #3 and Test #4) ran on about half the FPS than all tests with SLI (Test #1, Test #2, Test #5 and Test #6).

It also became apparent that NVIDIA Surround has not that big of an impact when used for DCS. Connecting all monitors to a single card and enabling SLI gave nearly as good FPS as Surround did.

NVIDIA Surround proved to have the best framerates when running DCS in fullscreen mode.

It also proved to have worse framrates than a non-Surruond setup in SLI, when running DCS in windowed mode.

Therfore, if you want to run DCS World on a 3 monitor setup only in fullscreen, NVIDIA Surruond gives you the best possible performance.

However, when you want to run DCS World in windowed mode, it is better to for a conventional SLI configuration with all monitors connected to one card.

Edited by xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

I agree with your findings as I ran in nvidiaa surround with two 4gb sli gtx770. Sli works in surround and in single screen 3d as I'm running now. Hope edge improves the multi screen and 3d performance.

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

I agree with your findings as I ran in nvidiaa surround with two 4gb sli gtx770. Sli works in surround and in single screen 3d as I'm running now. Hope edge improves the multi screen and 3d performance.

Yes, I am intrested to see what EDGE will change.

I also updated the second post. Did some more tests with running 3 monitors in the 3D Performance mode (SLI without Surround). The results where quit intresting as well.

I wonder though why DCS in windowed mode does not run at such bad performance in SLI, as oposed where it will run at good performance in fullscreen mode.

Hi xxJohnxx, i have 2 Asus 780ti in SLI and 3 Dell U2414h monitors. I am still struggling to find the best solution to get the most out of the setup but for the moment i am having problems.

First problem is that SLI does not work for me in DCS, at least not with surround turned off.

Second problem, if i have surround off and 5760x1080 with 1 monitor selected in Dcs options, the game crashes!

It doesnt crash if i select 3 monitors but as you say, it looks wierd.

Im still trying out things, for example daisy chain doesnt work for me too well, not with 3 monitors, i havent tried with two. I have 1st connected via Display Port, 2nd via HDMI conversion to DVI and the 3rd one connected via HDMI, in this way for the moment they all work, i am experimenting with daisy chain.

Please can you comfirm to me that for you my first and second problem dont happen to you?

Do you have Vsync on or off for your tests? I suppose it makes no difference if your monitor maximum is 60hz.

Last question, have you had any problems with RGB colour range conecting via HDMI?

I am experimenting more, thanks

Edited by rajdary

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

Hi Rajdary,

No, I can get SLI to work while Surround is turned off (see second post, test 5 & 6).

My DCS doesn't crash when I have surround and SLI off and 5760x1080 selected (test 3 & 4).

Daisy-chaning only worked for me with two monitors as well. Make sure that you enable DisplayPort 1.2 within the onscreen menu of the monitor.

The Daisy-chained option doesn't allow for Surround though.

I had Vsync off for the tests, to see the unfiltered impact on framerates. I generally have it off anyway.

Problems with the RGB colour range? I am not sure what you mean, but my monitor connected to HDMI looks identical the other two monitors connected to DisplayPort in display color and brightness.

Thanks for this info - I am looking to go to a 3-monitor setup in the near future and this helps very much with my expectations.

I have a question based on the above - I was looking to do 3-headed SLI w/ the same cards as you have, but at 1440p instead of 1080. My monitors require DVI-D (dual link) cables, so I think I am stuck with using each DVI-D port + 1 of the displayports (so a 2-in-one and 1-in-the-other config). This would mean I'd get the best results in fullscreen mode. Have I got that right or is there another approach I am overlooking?

Yes, fullscreen mode gave me best performance when using Surround + SLI.

However, I am not sure how Surround will work with the DVI connectors. When configuring Surround within the NVIDIA Controllpanel it showed this connection guide:

poJO1Tb.jpg

The circles indicate the ports for the Surround displays. The suqare indicates the port for an aditional display.

From top to bottom the ports on each card are: Display-Port, HDMI, DVI-D and DVI-D.

I am not sure if this relates to how you allready have connected your monitors, but I am not sure that you can run surround when using the DVI-D ports. You would have to do some more reasearch on that topic.

However, it probably is possible to connect all 3 monitors to the first card (two with DVI-D one with DisplayPort) and then use the non-Surround SLI mode (as I did in Tests #5 & 6). This will work for DCS just as good as Surround, however it might be a bit problematic for other games, as they might not support 3-screens without Surround.

all

• Like 1

Nope, it is not clear that Fullscreen gives better performance. Look at test #5 and #6. There is no framrate diffrence at all. And this is with SLI enabled.

Just in Surround there is such a huge performance diffrence between fullscreen and non-fullscreen.

And why should the desktop be drawn anyways? It is clearly neither visible, nor is there much to draw.

Thanks for posting your results.

I was running with the one 32" at 1920 displaying the game and the second 19" only displaying the MFCD's and RWR. I just added 2 32" monitors and now have 4 (3 same size/res and 1 smaller). With the added monitors, I'm looking to find the best way to run DCS. Since I only have one 780 Ti, I've got all 4 plugged into it (DVI, DVI, HDMI, Display port). Given that, I can't use the 4th monitor with surround due to its different specs. So I'm forced to try DCS with surround off.

It would be interesting if you could run (enabled/enabled?) with 3 monitors off one card with SLI disabled. It would show real world how much benefit you get from SLI in DCS.

Eagle

Intel i9 9900k | 32 GB RAM | EVGA RTX 2080Ti | 2x 1TB Samsung 970 Evo

It is a bit difficult for me to try with 3 monitors from one card, because I don't have any DVI-to-DisplayPort/HDMI adapters on hand currently.

I did some tests a while back with the two cards in SLI and only one screen attached, and the improvment over a non-SLI setup was marginal, if not there at all. I don't know if that will change with 4 screens.

However, with EDGE getting closer and closer, I do asume that SLI will get more usefull with DCS in the near term future.

• Like 1

Ok. i have managed to make it work in Surround enabled and full screen mode and it Works very well. i also discovered that using full screen on with one of my monitors connected via a HDMI to DVI-D was giving me gaphics card crashes.

im still testing and probably will leave the setup as per your test 1.

Thanks

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

Hi xxJohnxx, finally after lots of trial and error, i can confirm that a cable HDMI to DVI makes DCS crash in triple monitor. As soon as i connected everything directly as per your test #1, everythings Works very well.

I actually had the setup with the Hdmi to dvi because at the begining i only had 1 GFX, when i got the second one i left as is and had all the crashes.

About the colour range, no problem that was only happening in 3 Daisy chain.

Anyway , conclusión : your tests have helped me alot to get the best out of the hardware. Thanks!!

Just curious, what do you think is the best setup for the image in the Dells?

Game mode, Movie mode?

what about the dynamic brightness, do you turn it on or off?

Thanks again for your work. Rep sent.

To be honest, I didn't really look into the color stuff. Mine are still set to standard. If you have any recommendations, please let me know.

Anyway, good to hear that you could get your setup working.

For the 3 U2414H i use game mode and deactivate dynamic brightness or contrast whichever it is.

I also wanted to ask you another question. In your tests FPS depend on the settings that you have chosen in DCS, so are those in HIGH, HDR on ,16q , Civ Traffic etc... Basically do you have everything to full?

I don't really get what Eyefinity does. I mean, by default Windows will use three 1920x1080p monitors as a single 5760x1080 desktop and DCS can be set to the same and use the entire area, so what difference does it make if I create an Eyefinity Display Group?

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

I don't really get what Eyefinity does. I mean, by default Windows will use three 1920x1080p monitors as a single 5760x1080 desktop and DCS can be set to the same and use the entire area, so what difference does it make if I create an Eyefinity Display Group?

BY Default, 3 Screens in Windows is One Primary and 2 Extended.

When Running 3 Screens in Windows with One Primary and 2 Extended,

The Primary Screen in Full Screen mode will be the only one that monitors input devices (mice/trackpads and clicks).

The Primary Screen in Full Screen mode will be the only one saved when you press print screen, the left and right screens in the 5760x1080 image will be black.

In Fullscreen or Windowed Mode, with a Primary and 2 Extended Displays, Windows has to Manage and Coordinate 3 Separate Displays.

(Hardware Refresh Rates, Resolutions, etc etc)

In Eyefinity, All Screens are Mapped as One Screen at a Driver Level, So Windows only has to Manage 1 Display.

(Everything has one Hardware Refresh Rate, etc)

Eyefinity Maps all 3 Screens as a Single Screen, and gives the ability to adjust for bezels globally

(for all applications, desktop and games.)

Extended Desktop does not.

I can get into Driver level details and Hardware Resource management but I wont,

Simply Put.

With Eyefinity and Surround Enabled, Windows itself is only seeing and managing 1 large display, where as in Primary w/ Extended Screens it's seeing and managing multiple/3 displays.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 2 weeks later...
BY Default, 3 Screens in Windows is One Primary and 2 Extended.

When Running 3 Screens in Windows with One Primary and 2 Extended,

The Primary Screen in Full Screen mode will be the only one that monitors input devices (mice/trackpads and clicks).

The Primary Screen in Full Screen mode will be the only one saved when you press print screen, the left and right screens in the 5760x1080 image will be black.

I can get into Driver level details and Hardware Resource management but I wont,

Simply Put.

With Eyefinity and Surround Enabled, Windows itself is only seeing and managing 1 large display, where as in Primary w/ Extended Screens it's seeing and managing multiple/3 displays.

Ah, OK. Thanks for the explanation and for not going into Driver level details, I wouldn't have understood them anyway ;)

As for the primary screen in Full Screen mode locking the input devices, I guess that's why I have to run DCS in Windowed mode so that I can use my touchscreen and Helios. I've found with DCS in either mode, that touching the touchscreen sends a mouse position to DCS, causing the view to move all over the place if Mouse View is on, so it's only practical to use a touchscreen if you also have TrackIR or similar, so that you don't need to use Mouse View. You might be able to get away with switching from Mouse View to Mouse Cockpit always before touching the Helios screen but that would be a bit tedious. Thinking about it, even with headtracking, I'm not sure why touching the Helios screen with DCS in Mouse Cockpit mode (Mouse View is disabled when headtracking is enabled) doesn't cause it to left-click on whatever switch might happen to be under the cockpit cursor on the Primary screen.

I guess I'd only really be interested in running three screens as one if DCS could separate each screens area and draw the images on the side monitors at the proper angle to match the physical angle I put them at (e.g. 45 degrees). Currently it doesn't and using three monitors just gives a wider front view and physically angling in the monitors doesn't change that, so it would make more sense to just buy a big screen TV/monitor and have that flat in front of me.

Hopefully this will come with, or soon after, EDGE but I have no reason to believe that it will.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

• 1 month later...

3 monitor in game

I'm running an Asus Geforce gtx 750 ti.

I have 2 DVI connections for my 2 PC monitors and 1 HDMI connection for My 1 TV monitor ...all off of the 1 video card ports. I have it working as 3 desktops now but want to setup 3 monitors while flying DCS? I selected the option in DCS but it didn't work. All I get is my primary monitor showing an attempt at 3 separate cameras but doesn't come out right.

Thank you.

Fitness did you also change the resolution to 5760x1080? I did that when I first set it up.

Dale

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Fitness did you also change the resolution to 5760x1080? I did that when I first set it up.

Dale

1680x1050 is what I'm using. Where would I change it to that high a resolution?

What else did I have to do. Did you have to change the .lua files at all?

Edited by fitness88

Click "Options"

It should come up on the "Systems" tab. About 2/3 of the way down you will see "Resolution". Change that to 5760x1080

Before you do that make sure you have changed the "Monitors" setting to "3 screen". That is about 3/4 of the way down the same tab.

Happy flying.

Dale

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet