DCS F-14 Update: JESTER AI Behind the Scenes Recording & Multicrew

Cobra847

if the 95% number was true, and maybe it is... it's a damned shame. There's so much great gameplay to be had playing with friends... I'm hoping the f-14 helps change the single player nature of DCS.

I would rather see a dedicated coop campaign then play anything on an open server.

Personally, I dislike the "Wild west" atmosphere inherited to all DCS public servers.

However, if someone will create an SP/MP campagin, where you can do a structured story line either with a buddy as pilot/RIO with AI wingmen. or as 4 men team, manning up a pair it would sell big time IMHO.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if the 95% number was true, and maybe it is... it's a damned shame. There's so much great gameplay to be had playing with friends... I'm hoping the f-14 helps change the single player nature of DCS.

Unfortunately, some of us SP players, like me, don't have friends that fly DCS or any sim.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Unfortunately, some of us SP players, like me, don't have friends that fly DCS or any sim.

Well, you have couple thousand potential friends out here. :thumbup:

A friend who introduced me to DCS years ago quit PC playing in favor of consoles. I've been trying to persuade him to get back to it ever since. I believe not all hope is lost. But in the meantime, I regularly meet DCS pilots from my town (sometimes others place their travels just so they can come and meet us) IRL, I've joined a squad and my DCS playing shifted from 95% SP to 80% MP. I think this is a pretty cool community to be a member of. :)

Well, you have couple thousand potential friends out here. :thumbup:

A friend who introduced me to DCS years ago quit PC playing in favor of consoles. I've been trying to persuade him to get back to it ever since. I believe not all hope is lost. But in the meantime, I regularly meet DCS pilots from my town (sometimes others place their travels just so they can come and meet us) IRL, I've joined a squad and my DCS playing shifted from 95% SP to 80% MP. I think this is a pretty cool community to be a member of. :)

If I had the time to fly in a squadron, I'd probably play more MP. Since I don't, 95-ish% of my flying is SP missions that either I have created, or I have DL'ed here.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

An unfortunate reality shared by quite a few of us, I'm sure. I only know one person who plays, and THAT'S only because I talked him into it.

People just aren't (typically) willing to invest the amount of time and money involved in something this complex.

A niche market to the end. :/

EDIT: While I'm thinking about it, I'd like to ask about exactly how much fine control I'm able to give to JESTER. For example, if I only wanted him to control the AIM-54 while I control Sparrows/Sidewinders/Vulcan, can I do that? Or will it be all or nothing?

Just curious.

Edited by Nexus-6

Can't pretend fly as well as you can.

I rather have something that is worked on close to completion, let the artist work and fine-tune their master piece is what I say.

I was initially skeptical of "jester" but then I remembered how useful the AI WSOs/RIOs were in sims like Jane's F-15 and the ATF/USNF/Fighter Anthology series. Just having another pair of rudimentary "eyes" to spot and IR sam or handle countermeasures takes a hell of load off. Giving calls on a bandit's position, despite how primitive, does wonders.

Even such a small thing as letting the AI deal with TEWs/RWR takes a load off. I can concentrate on flying the plane to its limits.

It's not the lack of friends or such, it's the environment I have my PC in, it's too noisy here for voice coms, I've tried it and it don't work.

I had to compromise with the wife in where I could use my PC, she does not want me away locked up in another room and the only place I can sit my PC is beside the TV in the corner of the room.

So no online gaming for me... except when the wife is at work :)

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

It's not the lack of friends or such, it's the environment I have my PC in, it's too noisy here for voice coms, I've tried it and it don't work.

I had to compromise with the wife in where I could use my PC, she does not want me away locked up in another room and the only place I can sit my PC is beside the TV in the corner of the room.

So no online gaming for me... except when the wife is at work :)

Better start working on a new wife before the Tomcat drops then, by the sound of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Better start working on a new wife before the Tomcat drops then, by the sound of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He should try to train his wife as a RIO... ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

"You can be my wingman any time"

Seriously, find me on Drex's Dynamic DCS server. I'm usually around 10pm EDT ish.

Multiplayer can be a caustic, neck-beard infested, Asperger's haven... but that's just a function of internet anonymity. :)

Yeah but the servers are lacking voluntary GCIs nowadays... :/

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

All kinds of servers

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

He should try to train his wife as a RIO... ;)

Training my grandson :pilotfly:

I keep throwing him in the air but he hasn't learned to fly yet :D

He does like to fly the P51 and the Hawk

His first airshow:

oznmmZK.jpg

As VIP guests at the 2016 Sanicole airshow

Qbp7gIu.jpg

ab initio training when he was 3

6CVN4Nk.jpg

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

An unfortunate reality shared by quite a few of us, I'm sure. I only know one person who plays, and THAT'S only because I talked him into it.

People just aren't (typically) willing to invest the amount of time and money involved in something this complex.

A niche market to the end. :/

EDIT: While I'm thinking about it, I'd like to ask about exactly how much fine control I'm able to give to JESTER. For example, if I only wanted him to control the AIM-54 while I control Sparrows/Sidewinders/Vulcan, can I do that? Or will it be all or nothing?

Just curious.

In regards to launching weapons it will be the pilot. Both RIO and pilot can launch sparrows and phoenixes but it would be a bit redundant to have you tell Jester to launch them when it's available on the pilot stick.

For target selection and radar guidance the longer ranged shots will be set up by Jester (under pilot control) as only the PLM (Pilot Lockon Mode) mode of the radar is controllable by the pilot, the rest is back seat.

Edited by Naquaii

It won't as far as pubs go, but it most likely will attract folks to a new series of USN/USMC start up units that have been showing up all over the place with release of Hornet. I love flying in the scripted co-op setting, less hassle and more manners than your standard pub, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Training my grandson :pilotfly:

I keep throwing him in the air but he hasn't learned to fly yet :D

He does like to fly the P51 and the Hawk

His first airshow:

oznmmZK.jpg

As VIP guests at the 2016 Sanicole airshow

Qbp7gIu.jpg

ab initio training when he was 3

6CVN4Nk.jpg

Time for the Mi-8 helo Multi-crew then... ;)

Pilot, Co-Pilot, Navigator and crew chief/engineer.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• 1 month later...

So glad to see that your team has thought through the AI speech patterns and realized the need for putting the voice actor(s) in the situations the real guy would be in to help get in character.

A suggestion from GTA V: there was a day when an actor was going to record some dialog when the character was running around in his underwear - so he recorded in his underwear, standing up, running around as best he could. Doing his best to replicate the scene in studio. Realistic clothing can be just one more layer to getting an actor, voice or otherwise, mentally "in the zone", "being" the character. Keep up the good work!

Realistic clothing can be just one more layer to getting an actor, voice or otherwise, mentally "in the zone", "being" the character.

Sounds like an okay suggestion.

I'm just fairly sure I don't want to imagine my RIO wearing anything other than a flight suit... :music_whistling: :D

;3604939']Most of them are probably just in their birthday suit under the flight suit. Those things are basically pajamas.

Oh Hell no! Those zippers that go all the way down can make things rather uncomfortable without some protective undergarment.

Oh Hell no! Those zippers that go all the way down can make things rather uncomfortable without some protective undergarment.
^This and for at least a basic hygiene you don't want to sweat drench the suit directly, though depending on temperatures that might make not much difference. ;)

My experience is from a tank crew, perspective, but the suites are quite similar.

Shagrat