It's official - Top Gun 2 is ON!

CheckGear

"...Amazing how this post didn't contribute to anything..."

Mr. Pierre Sprey doesn't seem to agree with you, although I agree that one can't take for granted every word of what he says.

But he does have some valid points however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4doIA3T9ps

From the last upgrades @turkeydriver mentioned, I do believe it can certainly become more maneuverable.

However, the F-35 is not that great for air combat (much less WVR combat), the F-22 yes, that's an aircraft designed for air-to-air combat, not the F-35 sorry.

It just copromises too many aspects in trade for another.

By the way, do you also consider the "money pit" part I mention, wrong ?

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

For the next Top Gun, I hope they do the opening in this style:

According to the maker of this documentary, the Top Gun producers actually used it to develop shots for the movie. He says some of the shots in Top Gun are nearly identical to many of the shots in the documentary.

The leaked story treatment for Top Gun: Maverick acts as a bookend to the original Top Gun..it deals with the "end" of dog fighting, 5th Generation Aircraft, drones and aging ...where the original Top Gun was about relishing in the golden era of modern dogfighting etc...

Huh intersting.

ON a personal dont id point out that despite the nature of the original top gun by the Mid 80s Dog-fighting was already fast becoming a secondary measure with ever more advanced radars, better IFF capabilities, and More advanced Medium range missiles. Just a mere 6 years later after the Release of TOp gun, The Gulf was a showcase of the Lethality of Smart weapons striking target and AS fighters like the F15 blasting Fighters out of the Sky BVR and having the nessary IFF capabilities to confidently know it was the enemy without needing to creep up within visual range .

Ever Since Capabilties only have increased So the Type of Air combat ecnountered in the Gulf war is the Primary type we will continue to see and have seensince. ITs even more true today that it was in 1991 thats is about Radars, Various Sensors and Missiles with distance between your target that keeps the pilot alive. Not saying dogfights wont ever happen, but Its obvious from both analyzing current technology and looking at Modern air combat since Gulf war that Age of Classical Dogfights occurring are more like rare happenstances than being the #1 method or Common ways of engaging targets.

Im sure many knowledgeable aviation fans have pointed out that IF Top gun happened IN real life, those Mig28s would have begin been engaged First with RIO acquiring targets then all maverick would have to do would be Maverick push the weapons release and blasting them out of the sky with Aim7's or Aim54's, and engaging with Guns/ heatseakers only when a Merge occurred F14 Was a interceptor first and foremost Centered around Its RAdar, not AS lightweight dedicated Dogfighter, as being the first and foremost method of attack.

But of course For Movie Purposes Having Old school dogfights with Guns and heatseakers ( no Chaff or Flares use) within visual range was much more entertaining for the audience than a BVR flinging contest which would have been boring for the average viewer. Which is why the general public easily buys into pierre spreys nonsense that F35 IS crap because Its not the Best Dog-fighter out there. PEople have this image of the Glorious ww2 style dogfights and dont fathom how much Air combat has changed due to available technological applications

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

"...Amazing how this post didn't contribute to anything..."

Mr. Pierre Sprey doesn't seem to agree with you, although I agree that one can't take for granted every word of what he says.

But he does have some valid points however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4doIA3T9ps

From the last upgrades @turkeydriver mentioned, I do believe it can certainly become more maneuverable.

However, the F-35 is not that great for air combat (much less WVR combat), the F-22 yes, that's an aircraft designed for air-to-air combat, not the F-35 sorry.

It just copromises too many aspects in trade for another.

By the way, do you also consider the "money pit" part I mention, wrong ?

F22 may have been Designed for AS , and whilst its manuverbility is impressive for WVR, its still not meant to be a just a mere Dogfighter

Former USMC LT COl David Berke ( who was in USAF as an exchange pilot) said " the least impressive thing about the F22 is its speed and maneuverability, and its the most fastest and maneuverable plane out there". This also someone who was a Top Gun Instructor.

F22 although not as advanced with its array of sensors like the F35, still was based around idea pf primarily utilizing said Avionics, Radars, Medium Range Missiles , Information networking ( IE Datalinks) etc, To shoot down targets without having to engage classical WVR dogfights.

Yes its was a consideration for its design to be able to compete in WVR given its AS role but that was not the Primary goal. There are no more dedicated WVR being built anymore like the F-5, or even along the lines of the F16A. Dog-fighting has essentially become a Niche ever since the Gulf War.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD