A Request

Hi,

I don't know if this has been brought up before, so sorry if there's a repeat, but would it be possible to have the option to have the RIO, during multicrew, in a purely 'Observer' role?

Ie have a 2nd player in the rear seat, who is able to look around etc , but the pilot remains in full control of the aircraft via Jester AI?

This might allow for such things as training or video capture etc without making the 2nd 'crew member' necessary for aircraft operations.

Just a thought

After the flight during the replay jump into any seat you like and you can ride along while everything happens around you.

Other than that. Whats the difference between someone sitting there and someone not? The F-14 can only be flown from the front seat. Or is it you are asking for someone to be able to sit there without needing to work the radar or anything? Seems like an odd request to me.

"It's amazing, even at the Formula 1 level how many drivers still think the brakes are for slowing the car down."

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord

Yh you don’t get it. I’m asking for the option to have an individual sit in the back seat and not interrupt the operation of the plane. Say “just don’t operate the radar” is the exact reason I asked the question. I’ll make it clear.... this is for MULTICREW. 2 Players (humans) in a LIVE multiplayer environment. Tracks / replays or SP are irrelevant. This is for having a 2nd individual that ‘sees’ from the RIO POV, but jester does all the work as if only the pilot was in pit

sounds like a 'cheat' to me, it would be the same as asking to have somone else 'sitting' in a single piloted machine, just for watching

you would be able to have an additional pair of eyes in multiplayer dogfights while not having to worry about the operation of the radar etc

I would not recommend such things

sigpic.png.4d2403c54e341ae5cf45e3309e87cb2c.png

Yh you don’t get it. I’m asking for the option to have an individual sit in the back seat and not interrupt the operation of the plane. Say “just don’t operate the radar” is the exact reason I asked the question. I’ll make it clear.... this is for MULTICREW. 2 Players (humans) in a LIVE multiplayer environment. Tracks / replays or SP are irrelevant. This is for having a 2nd individual that ‘sees’ from the RIO POV, but jester does all the work as if only the pilot was in pit

Well I understand you. It would be hard to know which buttons are being pressed and when. You might hear them, and maybe see which button is being pressed, but only if looking in the right spot. If the passenger has no knowledge of the system this would be difficult to ascertain. Jester does not need a mouse cursor, so tracking where Jester is looking and when, is difficult. The only way to be able to do so reliably is to have system knowledge of the RIO position such that the next step could be assumed. At that point the training would not be required.

If the purpose is purely as a passenger, for the fun of it all, while still on a mission and having all the capabilities while the extra person rides along, then that's not possible in any module. To do so, would stress the code, and could create unforeseen bugs in operation. Complex multicrew is still new in DCS, and something like that could break it all together.

Like I said before, an individual can "see" from the RIO POV in the replay and not have to push any buttons and they will see all the things that Jester did while sitting back there. All replays work this way now. As long as the player does not interrupt, the replay file will show, changing HUD modes, switches, etc. Is it real time? No. But what you asking is already possible.

"It's amazing, even at the Formula 1 level how many drivers still think the brakes are for slowing the car down."

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think I know what he has in mind.

For example, the ability to "ride along" with someone which is struggling with the aircraft as "single seat" and you want to ride along an see what he "is doing wrong". Personally, I can't wait to fly with my buddies, but in the "Wild west shootout" atmosphere of current DCS, I don't see a lot of people going for that option, you'll see a lot of folks going "single seater" in pairs. And he asks from that POV.

Yh that’s basically what I’m saying.. to those saying it’s a cheat, or that it might ‘stress’ the code (wtf does that even mean lol), I am not suggesting this as an option that is always on. For example I would have thought it possible that a server can switch off this feature etc if it’s considered an excess advantage, which I agree it could be.

Also ‘looking’ at jester was not my idea, and I agree that this would be next to impossible. This not what I was talking about.

Again I will state.... this i intend for purely entertainment or convenience, for RECORDING a LIVE MP situation from a nice angle, or training a PILOT, not a RIO. I’m talking bloke in back talking to a new pilot, maybe teaching BFM, but also instructing them on how to use JESTER in a ‘one man’ situation.

This is because, let’s face it, multicrew will be really quite poor due to the aweful netlag and general bad conditions of multiplayer at the moment, thus most of us will fly as a single man + jester (assuming you even know someone that is willing to sit behind you).

So I’m saying have this + a POV of the RIO, maybe even when in this mode, prevents the 2nd man from throwing switches to deconflict with the AI

Someone would want a spectator in the back seat for several reasons

The ones I can think of are

Moviemaking

A RIO goes afk for sometime and he gets replaced by jester

Someone is training someone to be the pilot and use jester at the same time.

Not an illogical request I guess.

Edited by dimitrischal

Everything asked can be done as is without a player sitting in the RIO seat and the player pilot using Jester at the same time. Essentially having 3 "people" in the cockpit. All reasons given the way I see it can be accomplished with a person sitting in the back seat normally. Making movies can be done via the replay function. That's how it's usually done anyway.

It seems to me that yours is a request to train with other players, but not engage with other players. Training, but without the other person doing anything, so the AI can do it. Playing together, but alone? If that's the way you'd like to play don't let me feel like I'm judging you. Have fun your way. For me, I won't be using to Tomcat to use Jester, and then asking people watch.

I see The Tomcat as a multiplayer aircraft, and that's the way I will always treat it. If I want a single seat experience, I'll fly the Hornet. If someone is in the jet with me strictly for pilot training reasons, I can just as easy explain what's going on and train them in a similar way as pilots who were given check rides in real F-14's back in the day. Perhaps we can meet up in the sky one day, and see how it all works out.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Makes sense to me, having someone ‘multicrew’ in the backseat without the AI Jester being turned off. Just simply along for the ride, no interaction, just being able to watch how the pilot approaches things and how the AI RIO does things.

Sounds like it might be cool for video recording and training purposes. No idea how much coding would be involved, if it’s any amount, I would rather see it released and this added as an option down the road.

Like I said before, an individual can "see" from the RIO POV in the replay and not have to push any buttons and they will see all the things that Jester did while sitting back there. All replays work this way now. As long as the player does not interrupt, the replay file will show, changing HUD modes, switches, etc. Is it real time? No. But what you asking is already possible.

Assuming the replay doesn't just fire you into the ocean or taxi you into the grass, or roll over into a lazy death spiral for no reason whatsoever. :megalol: As someone who uses replays routinely for videos, they're so unreliable it hurts.

Assuming the replay doesn't just fire you into the ocean or taxi you into the grass, or roll over into a lazy death spiral for no reason whatsoever. :megalol: As someone who uses replays routinely for videos, they're so unreliable it hurts.

Using time advance corrupts the file.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Can we drop the replay track fetish? firstly its unreliable, secondly, i wasnt LIVE MULTIPLAYER!!!!! that means LIVE, including pilots reactions etc... not replays.... thirdly, the server i mostly play on makes replays redundant. it uses an external server and scripting to spawn in units etc.... track files and replays are empty.

so no, that is NOT an option

I am baffled at the walls some of you put up for just making other options available. It is clear you that do this are so single minded it is ridiculous. If it is an option you do not want to utilize then fine, your choice. But to actually try and block the option from even being explored is ridiculous.

Remember, this title caters to multiple peoples interests. Not just your own. Try and quit thinking YOUR narrow mindedness is the box WE ALL want to confined within. I am sure you can look at your MP stats and still feel like the aces you are even if such functionality is provided.

As we all know any public post can receive public comments. If someone doesn't entirely disagree, the non-acceptance of a different point of view, or the idea that only one perspective should be discussed, would indeed be narrow-mindedness. No one can be forced to do anything from a forum post, and no one demanded that anyone behave a certain way here, or to not post anything.

In the end, it's quite alright to get along with someone you may not agree with.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi,

I don't know if this has been brought up before, so sorry if there's a repeat, but would it be possible to have the option to have the RIO, during multicrew, in a purely 'Observer' role?

Ie have a 2nd player in the rear seat, who is able to look around etc , but the pilot remains in full control of the aircraft via Jester AI?

This might allow for such things as training or video capture etc without making the 2nd 'crew member' necessary for aircraft operations.

Just a thought

That should be possible by default IMHO.

It as well goes to my opinion that ED should make a system where a second seat can be free to sit or some cases even operate.

I started long time ago a request that trainer aircrafts like L-39 would have a student seat free to sit if the module owner allows someone to sit there. The module owner would be able to take controls at anytime or lock the student off from controls.

It would work so that anyone can download the module (as now) but they can't activate Single Player mode but just a "student" license for free.

Meaning they can't do alone anything that they can't with AI model, but in multiplayer server they can join to student seat if there is someone with full license (paid) sitting in cockpit and accepting the entry.

That would have made trainers more useful as someone could teach some maneuvers and methods to others without everyone paying for full license.

As both are sitting in same aircraft and only one can be in controls at the time, it doesn't IMHO make sense to new comers pay license just to be locked from controls or spend time learning a trainer instead actual module in first place...

The idea to have a backseat locked for only observation could IMHO be similar, a free seat to anyone who has module installed but not activated.

As how long does people like to do that otherwise at paying money for license but not be able operate it?

You could invite a friend to install DCS and download module and just take a ride with you, get them interested and that way to buy the license to operate the rear seat as well get access to front seat too with possibility to single player etc.

IMHO DCS needs new players. Userbase could be larger and that give more potential customers and new hobbyists.

Like why not extend it to other modules too?

UH-1H door gunner seats IMHO should be free and pilot seats require license.

You can't jump in on the air, only in airfield. And if license owner disconnects, then free rider gets kicked out in short delay.

Like if I could take a friend just with VR with me up to the skies in F-14, there is better change that they want to buy license to do RIO tasks after a while. If not, they didn't waste money on worst case, but really in most cases didn't say "no, I am not going to buy it"

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 2 months later...