LANTIRN!

Cobra847

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PLEASE NOT AGAIN :( this image is again only cenversion of current textures, NOT SIMULATION OF IR WORLD!!! If you would not know that tank is here, only know is genereal area, you will search him for minutes, before finaly find him. doh.gif I hoped that with comming DCS 2.5 this will be fixed by ED, and IR world will blow our minds. But now, very dissapointed, not by Heatblure, but by ED 1f621.png.

But still, any new image from F-14 development is step forward :thumbup:

FLIR Imaging has to be overhauled by ED, I guess Heatblur can't do much how the Graphics Engine renders such effects. They can only tweak them a bit but not overhaul the shader.

But ED has already announced that FLIR Imaging will be reworked one day :smartass:

For now the render efect work simillar like described here:

https://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?7034-Infrared&p=364068#post364068

And ... for some of you, before you write anywhere, that something is AWESOME, first try to search documents, images of real thing. Than compare these and make your statement after. Your post will look like written by somebody who actualy care about sim realism.

PLEASE NOT AGAIN :( this image is again only cenversion of current textures, NOT SIMULATION OF IR WORLD!!! If you would not know that tank is here, only know is genereal area, you will search him for minutes, before finaly find him. doh.gif I hoped that with comming DCS 2.5 this will be fixed by ED, and IR world will blow our minds. But now, very dissapointed, not by Heatblure, but by ED 1f621.png.

But still, any new image from F-14 development is step forward :thumbup:

For now the render efect work simillar like described here:

https://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?7034-Infrared&p=364068#post364068

And ... for some of you, before you write anywhere, that something is AWESOME, first try to search documents, images of real thing. Than compare these and make your statement after. Your post will look like written by somebody who actualy care about sim realism.

Nobody is really going to debate that DCS's current IR implementation is incorrect. I mean, we know it is just inverted colors and a filter.

What is more, Eagle Dynamics did not say or even indicate that FLIR would be revamped for the release of 2.5. What they did indicate is that they would revamp the FLIR when they work on the Hornet's ATFLIR targeting pod.

Infrared in photography is a false colour representation of what light(radiation) is being reflected from the object of focus and can have some beautiful and weird results, most digital cameras today have an IR and UV filter built on to the CCD/CMOS sensor but a few manufacturers have models without the filters for scientific use.

Near Infrared in imaging using the likes of CCDs is totally different, different materials have different absorption of the IR radiation impacting on them. Some paints are almost like mirrors to the IR and reflect the IR like a beacon while a lot of natural objects absorb the IR like a black hole, it was a fascinating work that I was doing back then, I was beta/field testing colour/monochrome/IR cameras for some of the world's major camera manufactures.

Except an ex of mine with red hair, shine an IR light on her and her hair would shine like a light bulb in an IR camera, toning it down it looked like she had aged years and her hair was pure white when viewed on the monochrome monitor, I was told never to do that to her again :D

One of the prototype cameras from the late 1990s I got to keep, it has a few flaws in it's CCD but still it performed very well and I have used it for imaging stars and nebulas through my telescope. It needs special software to communicate with it which was written for Windows 98 to access the more advanced modes of operation while basic switching can be done on it's menu.

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

What is AWESOME is that Heatblur has decided to bring the LANTIRN to the Tomcat, as I understood prior to this is wasn't confirmed. That is indisputably AWESOME. ED will improve IR simulation with time, they never said anything about it being revamped in 2.5.

We were told we wouldn't get it. Certainly not at first anyway, and that they would maybe review the situation at a latter date. So to see this was a massive welcome shock to me. As much as I love the Tomcat as a fighter and so much look forward to dogfights with her, it's so welcome to be able to simulate the role she played in the latter stages of her service life, a role as it turned out she performed excellently. I will spend many hours in this aircraft flying long missions using aerial refuelling to strike targets deep in enemy territory. It's a dream come true. I just wonder if they can manage to pull off the TARPS as well. I will be intrigued to know what it's like to operate and how it's simulated with Jester RIO.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Can the crew even see what it is that the TARPS is collecting while in the cockpit? I am just curious to know if this isn't something that is collected and stored in the pod until returned to the base and then extracted and analyzed by intel folks deep down in a bat cabe somewhere.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Can the crew even see what it is that the TARPS is collecting while in the cockpit? I am just curious to know if this isn't something that is collected and stored in the pod until returned to the base and then extracted and analyzed by intel folks deep down in a bat cabe somewhere.

Not for the original TARPS that used film, it was recommended to use the TCS (Television Camera System) to help identify the correct target.

You entered a series of waypoints and those could be shown on the pilot's HUD and gave him a steering cue to correctly overfly the target area

If I remember correctly the later digital version of TARPS could display the image on the RIO's station in the F-14D, I'll have to go back and read the manuals again to say for certain.

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

I just thought of something about the LTS that I'm curious about. Is there going to be some kind of flag or limiter restricting the loading of both the AN/AAQ-14 and the TARPS pod at the same time or preventing the use of one or the other if both are loaded.

The F-14A and F-14B had to be wired specifically for TARPS or specifically for the LTS. F-14Ds were wired for both but still couldn't use both because the control set for the LTS occupied the same space on the RIO's panel as that for the TARPS. Theoretically, any F-14 could carry both in the ferry configuration, but could only make use of one system. Operationally even in D squadrons, you saw two or three dedicated TARPS birds while the remainder were standard/LTS.

This leads to another question: with the selected loading of the LTS or TARPS, will the RIO's control panel change in accordance?

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

I just thought of something about the LTS that I'm curious about. Is there going to be some kind of flag or limiter restricting the loading of both the AN/AAQ-14 and the TARPS pod at the same time or preventing the use of one or the other if both are loaded.

The F-14A and F-14B had to be wired specifically for TARPS or specifically for the LTS. F-14Ds were wired for both but still couldn't use both because the control set for the LTS occupied the same space on the RIO's panel as that for the TARPS. Theoretically, any F-14 could carry both in the ferry configuration, but could only make use of one system. Operationally even in D squadrons, you saw two or three dedicated TARPS birds while the remainder were standard/LTS.

This leads to another question: with the selected loading of the LTS or TARPS, will the RIO's control panel change in accordance?

Interesting, Im curious about this :thumbup:

Without giving too much away, how rudimentary was the integration of the TGP in the F14? It was a later addition, so would it be safe to say that it behaves similarly to how the Harrier handles it: e.g. not all controls available to the RIO without interfacing with additional panels (zoom for example), no ability to interact with waypoints / coordinates (how does the F14 handle waypoints anyway? cant seem to find any info about nav panels etc) or other weird hoops we have to jump through?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Groundpounder extraordinaire

SPECS: i7-4790K, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 16 GB RAM, MSI GTX 980ti, Thrustmaster WARTHOG HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals, TrackIR 5

• 2 months later...
Without giving too much away, how rudimentary was the integration of the TGP in the F14? It was a later addition, so would it be safe to say that it behaves similarly to how the Harrier handles it: e.g. not all controls available to the RIO without interfacing with additional panels (zoom for example), no ability to interact with waypoints / coordinates (how does the F14 handle waypoints anyway? cant seem to find any info about nav panels etc) or other weird hoops we have to jump through?

It was only rudimentary in how it was incorporated into the original backseat screen using an interface method- however the size of the screen still offered a better picture and aimpoint than anything else in the air period. The screen size directly led to that big screen for the WSO station in the Super Hornet. Perhaps today's B-1B might have a similar screen.

As far as other integration, the original AAQ-14 used couldn't lase above 20k or generate coordinates accurate enough for JDAM. LANTIRN 40K and the AAQ-25 fixed that, but then again, all NATO fighter laser pods went through similar updates around the same time.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk

It was only rudimentary in how it was incorporated into the original backseat screen using an interface method- however the size of the screen still offered a better picture and aimpoint than anything else in the air period. The screen size directly led to that big screen for the WSO station in the Super Hornet. Perhaps today's B-1B might have a similar screen.

As far as other integration, the original AAQ-14 used couldn't lase above 20k or generate coordinates accurate enough for JDAM. LANTIRN 40K and the AAQ-25 fixed that, but then again, all NATO fighter laser pods went through similar updates around the same time.

The original B-1 implementation was even more rudimentary, it was run off of a laptop hooked up to a F-15E WSO's controller bolted to the OSO station. Initially the WSO would have to hand jam GPS coordinates into the A/C from the pod. I helped flight test that mod, the later cockpit display overhaul was long after I left the program, so I'm not sure how that is done

The LANTIRN became a must-have the moment they announced an Afghanistan theater would be released. The F-14 was a huge part of the 2001 invasion of Afghanistan, serving as the campaign's sole fixed-wing strike fighter for quite some time. It's a big part of Tomcat history and I'm looking forward to re-creating the many sorties flown during that incredible time.

• 9 months later...

What is causing the circular line on the camera image?

Looks like someone scratched the camera lens with a ballpoint pen :P

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

What is causing the circular line on the camera image?

Looks like someone scratched the camera lens with a ballpoint pen :P

The line shows you where the airframe of the aircraft will be obscuring the view of the TGP. The small white dot at the 12:30 position shows where the TGP is looking and once that dot crosses beyond the line the airframe will be in the way, you won't be able to see the target and you will be "masking". This was possible with the F-14 because the TGPs were only ever installed on one specific pylon. Obviously as a pilot if you saw the TGP was getting close to masking you could manoeuvre the aircraft to help prevent it.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

The line shows you where the airframe of the aircraft will be obscuring the view of the TGP. The small white dot at the 12:30 position shows where the TGP is looking and once that dot crosses beyond the line the airframe will be in the way, you won't be able to see the target and you will be "masking". This was possible with the F-14 because the TGPs were only ever installed on one specific pylon. Obviously as a pilot if you saw the TGP was getting close to masking you could manoeuvre the aircraft to help prevent it.

Ahha!

That explains it. Thanks :thumbup:

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Ahha!

That explains it. Thanks :thumbup:

No Problem! :pilotfly:

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I just wonder why it's dotted in some parts twilightsmile.png

I don't know... Maybe showing where its different for various wing sweep positions?

Proud owner of: