F-14 Development Update - Power!

Cobra847

Between 1992 and 1995 you'd have heard A's, B's and D's.

by 1995 you'd have been hearing A's and D's as the Navy concentrated all F-14B's at Oceana in Virginia.

Originally the plan was for an F-14D pacific fleet for the Tomcat, with the B's on the east coast. However obviously the Navy didn't get their hoped full amount of F-14D's, and only got about 1/4 of the F-14B's they wanted.

Everyone went to Oceana in 199? 7 maybe? All Tomcats were consolidated at Oceana when the Navy handed Miramar over to the marines.

By the way, a small curiosity about the F-14's "home base" :

Relating to the production of "Fleet Defender" PC sim, the manual mentions that the most of the producers research was made at NAS Oceana, (and not at NAS Miramar).

My doubt is; why was that ?

(Bearing in mind that NAS Miramar was much more iconic / famous, also thanks to the media.)

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, a small curiosity about the F-14's "home base" :

Relating to the production of "Fleet Defender" PC sim, the manual mentions that the most of the producers research was made at NAS Oceana, (and not at NAS Miramar).

My doubt is; why was that ?

(Bearing in mind that NAS Miramar was much more iconic / famous, also thanks to the media.)

Looking at locations and timelines;

First off, Microprose was based in California, so I can see why it would be questionable...

...until you find out that BRAC, in 1993, recommended that NAS Miramar be transitioned to the Marines, and all F-14 ops moved to Oceana. Best guess is that, given that their nearest base was closing, it would be better off going to Oceana to do their research.

Also, I think that the version they modeled for the game was the F-14B, which was only at Oceana. That could be the real reason for going east, or it could have been a side effect.

Looking at locations and timelines;

First off, Microprose was based in California, so I can see why it would be questionable...

...until you find out that BRAC, in 1993, recommended that NAS Miramar be transitioned to the Marines, and all F-14 ops moved to Oceana. Best guess is that, given that their nearest base was closing, it would be better off going to Oceana to do their research.

Also, I think that the version they modeled for the game was the F-14B, which was only at Oceana. That could be the real reason for going east, or it could have been a side effect.

Thank you for your time.

You're right, from wikipedia: "...the developers found that flying the original underpowered F-14A was very unforgiving and "not much fun" for a commercial flight simulator."

Also, in 1996 the "TOPGUN" school moved out to NAS Fallon.

And I guess my doubt is answered.

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Think about what it would take to get a car running that you've left in your garage (charitably) since September 2006.

Now multiply the cost and difficulty many times.

Even given best-case scenarios, nobody but the US military is going to bring back a Tomcat. If the US military did try, Dick Cheney would rise from wherever the hell he is and just quash it again.

He would rise from THE Hell.

All "U.S. Owned" Airframe's have been Rendered Flightless.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 5 months later...

Had this confirmed with "Hey Joe" over the weekend. The "Hozer's" "Zone 6" was indeed a thing apparently. Will we be able to replicate the results in the TF30 powered Turkeys?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers and safe flying

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

I know this is a bit of an inane question, but since we're discussing Tomcat engines (and I didn't want to make a new thread just for this), can anyone tell me why the nozzles for the TF30s were set differently when the aircraft was parked?

In the picture you can clearly see the right engine is set as though it's in full afterburner, but the left engine is not. I tried a Google search, but it proved to be a dry hole.detail4.thumb.jpeg.205c7b014a379e3efa7ce228a920f7ad.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Can't pretend fly as well as you can.

I know this is a bit of an inane question, but since we're discussing Tomcat engines (and I didn't want to make a new thread just for this), can anyone tell me why the nozzles for the TF30s were set differently when the aircraft was parked?

In the picture you can clearly see the right engine is set as though it's in full afterburner, but the left engine is not. I tried a Google search, but it proved to be a dry hole.[ATTACH]194187[/ATTACH]

Is this common place? It could be many things, maintenance team might of been messing with it, could of had a failure at after-burn setting and the nozzle stayed open, Might of just been training.

Is this common place? It could be many things, maintenance team might of been messing with it, could of had a failure at after-burn setting and the nozzle stayed open, Might of just been training.
I seriously doubt it was some kind of malfunction. I've seen it numerous times over the years. It's what got me curious.

In the picture you can clearly see the right engine is set as though it's in full afterburner, but the left engine is not. I tried a Google search, but it proved to be a dry hole.[ATTACH]194187[/ATTACH]

When taxi'ing the crews would typically shut down one engine. The TF-30's nozzles weren't affected by gravity, so they stayed in whatever position they were on shut down

I seriously doubt it was some kind of malfunction. I've seen it numerous times over the years. It's what got me curious.

If memory serves, it's simply a matter of shutdown procedure.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

As others said, its related to the shutdown procedure and because of the function of the weight-on-wheels switch (WoW). Both the TF30 and F110 engines have an idle pop-open function for the nozzles at idle during ground operations (WoW switch is active). In the air, the nozzles are always closed unless afterburner is commanded.

There is a convention for shutting down the right engine since it drives the hydraulic pump for the flight controls, while the left engine drives the combined system. The right engine is shut down first to check function of the hydraulic transfer pumps as a routine maintenance check. When the right engine is shut down, there is still electrical power and the WoW will continue to send a signal to keep the nozzle open.

When the left engine shuts down, the generator drops off line around 55% N2 so the WoW switch is disconnected. The left engine then defaults to "in-flight mode" and residual fuel pressure (nozzles are driven by fuel pressure) will still be sufficient to close the nozzle as the engine spools down.

The F110 powered Tomcats do this too, but as another member noted the weight of the petals is sufficient to pull the nozzle open with the effects of gravity. So the left nozzle only stays closed for a few moments.

I find the chain of events sort of interesting and worth sharing. :)

-Nick

As others said, its related to the shutdown procedure and because of the function of the weight-on-wheels switch (WoW). Both the TF30 and F110 engines have an idle pop-open function for the nozzles at idle during ground operations (WoW switch is active). In the air, the nozzles are always closed unless afterburner is commanded.

There is a convention for shutting down the right engine since it drives the hydraulic pump for the flight controls, while the left engine drives the combined system. The right engine is shut down first to check function of the hydraulic transfer pumps as a routine maintenance check. When the right engine is shut down, there is still electrical power and the WoW will continue to send a signal to keep the nozzle open.

When the left engine shuts down, the generator drops off line around 55% N2 so the WoW switch is disconnected. The left engine then defaults to "in-flight mode" and residual fuel pressure (nozzles are driven by fuel pressure) will still be sufficient to close the nozzle as the engine spools down.

The F110 powered Tomcats do this too, but as another member noted the weight of the petals is sufficient to pull the nozzle open with the effects of gravity. So the left nozzle only stays closed for a few moments.

I find the chain of events sort of interesting and worth sharing. :)

-Nick

Very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to explain it in detail.

So, I have to ask, are you guys modeling that too? :)

Very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to explain it in detail.

So, I have to ask, are you guys modeling that too? :)

Yes, the ASM should model this behavior. :)

I say should because the current nozzle animation is simplified, so I haven't verified yet though the functionality is there.

-Nick

Yes, the ASM should model this behavior. :)

I say should because the current nozzle animation is simplified, so I haven't verified yet though the functionality is there.

-Nick

Glorious! You really ARE going above and beyond with the Tomcat.

The willingness to go the extra mile on the minute details are, in my opinion, a large part of what will make DCS: F-14 truly one of a kind.

"One of a kind" is a good way to describe the F-14.

It really is! That's one of my favorite documentaries. It was produced at a time when the Tomcat's best days were still ahead of it. Even TARPS was still years away from fielding.