FC3 Changes - 11 November 2012

Wags

• ED Team

Although a list of changes were stated on the FC3 web page, it seems that this was not noticed by many users. Many of these changes were in fact what the team has been working on since the product was delayed. This was in addition to addressing many serious bugs.

FC3 page: http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/series/flaming_cliffs_3/

There will of course be further changes while FC3 is beta, but until those features are final and integrated into an installer, we cannot comment on them at this time.

(sorry, I was out of the country when FC3 was released)

---

DCS World Integration

Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 operates as part of DCS World. As such, DCS World must be installed prior to installing Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3. DCS World is a new, free, combat simulation. DCS World provides a free-to-play Su-25T ground attack aircraft with no online restrictions. Online DCS: World includes friendly and enemy forces that can be controlled by other players or AI air and ground units. The purchase of additional DCS modules allows the player to have careers as pilots of the A-10C Warthog, KA-50 Black Shark attack helicopter, P-51D Mustang, or armor vehicle commander. You may read more about DCS: World and its modules at: http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/

Common F-15C and A-10A Changes

- Updated US RWR threats display logic - threats in scan mode do not update their position continuously anymore.

- US RWR display symbology was made stabilized to the horizon.

- Glide slope/localizer deviation bars were removed from F-15C/A-10A HUDs.

- Adjusted F-15C/A-10A HUD gun reticle distance sector visual appearance.

New F-15C Cockpit and Updated Cockpit Systems

Perhaps the most noticeable new features with Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 is the new, beautiful cockpit. This cockpit is fully rendered in every detail and provides 6 degrees of freedom of movement within the cockpit. This new cockpit includes both day and night lighting, an improved HUD that is focused to infinity, re-worked HUD symbols and many improvements and new functions for the radar and radar warning receiver:

- New flap position lights

- Flaps position lights logic was updated.

- AI & SAM warning lights are functional now.

- Active jamming is indicated by open X in the center of TEWS screen. Flashing X - standby, steady X - active.

- CHAFF/FLARE, and MINIMUM lights are operational now.

- Marker beacon light was made functional. MKR display was added on HUD.

- Added CSET display on HUD - is displayed for the first 10 seconds after ILS mode selection.

- Steer mode select knob was animated.

- Fixed HUD Integrated Flight Director indication.

- Added bank steering bar on HUD.

- HUD altitude scale is always barometric now.

- Removed radar altimeter scale from HUD.

- Fixed AoA scale and numeric indication on HUD.

- Adjusted HUD display logic of Mach number and current/maximum G displays.

- ADI light was made functional.

- Fixed unstable radar lock at certain ranges in the vertical scan mode.

- Radar scan zone in TWS is limited by 60 degrees now.

- DTWS scan zone automatic centering is implemented.

Changes to the A-10A

- Fixed bank steering pointer and bank indicator animation on ADI.

- Adjusted TVV position limits on HUD. Out of view arrow has been added for TVV.

- Pitch numerics were changed to Flight Path Angle numerics on HUD.

- Adjusted position limits of various HUD symbols.

- Reworked visual shape and display logic of the destination index (tadpole).

- Added TD box (steer point position) on HUD.

- Fixed visual appearance of the Target Designator Cue (TDC) on HUD.

Changes to the MiG-29 and Su-27/33

- Stations display was removed from Su-27/33 HUD.

- Radar scan zone on Russian aircrafts is now always centered on the tracked target in TWS.

- 'Target unlock' command is now functional in Russian TWS - current track and radar contacts data is cleared.

- Radar is correctly returns back to TWS (instead of RWS) on Russian aircrafts when STT is lost.

Common Changes to All Aircraft

- Fixed momentary jump of the HSI course pointer in some cases when steerpoint is switched.

- HSI course/bearing/distance pointers and ADI steering/deviation bars animation was made smooth in all aircrafts

Improved Air-to-Air Missile Flight Dynamics

- With a return to a heavy focus on air-to-air combat in Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3, the flight dynamics physics of air-to-air missiles has been improved in multiple ways:

- Launcher platform speed, thrust, missile weight, total drag, gravity, etc. are all calculated to determine missile speed.

- Missiles now incur realistic energy bleed that accounts for drag, induced drag and gravity. Induced drag calculates g-load and that factors the missile’s lift. Missiles will now bleed energy very quickly if the target performs hard maneuvers.

- We added a longitudinal-load fuze arming type. The missile warhead of missile will only be armed after reaching the assigned longitudinal g-load (acceleration). Otherwise the missile will not detonate.

- We added a limited duration to the missile’s power system (gas-generator, generator and hydraulic pump). When the onboard power system is exhausted, the missile goes ballistic.

- We added a self-destruction timer. Some missiles will self-destruct when the timer is reached.

- We added altitude based of self-destruction. Some missiles will destruct when reaching an assigned altitude above ground level.

- We added a guidance timer delay. After launching a missile, the missile will fly straight from the from launcher for safety reasons before initiating the guidance stage. This is typically 0.3…1.5 seconds. For example: the R-27R missile flies unguided forward for 0.5 seconds before guidance to target starts.

- We added parameters of loft trajectory. The initial range to target, the range of transition to proportional navigation, and initial angle of loft are all factored.

Resource Manager

In any war, logistics plays one of the most critical roles. If an army air force cannot be resupplied, it will be useless in battle. The new Resource Manger allows mission designers to add the element of resource management into missions.

Mission builders can now place warehouses on the battle map and allow them to resupply airbases and other facilities with set amounts of weapons and fuel. This can be done for both single player and multiplayer missions.

---

I posted this earlier but I think it bears worth repeating here:

Philosophy Behind the Release of FC3

Although it was not stated in the original announcement, I wanted to share the motivation behind FC3 and the logic behind some of the choices we made.

With the current divide between FC2 and DCS, we felt there was an unneeded gap between the two products that only served divide the larger Eagle Dynamics product community. Further, those flying DCS online really had no dedicated fighter aircraft, just mud movers. For a more encompassing online experience, this needs to change.

Given that "DCS: Fighter" is still a ways off, we hope that FC3 will serve as a good bridge while we continue to flesh out the stable of DCS aircraft (both 1st and 3rd party). However, given the time window for this and the available resources, there was a lot of back and forth discussion internally of what we could and could not do in a reasonable time frame. In the end, a list of improvements was created that we believe will most benefit FC3. Many of these improvements though (like AAM AFM, resource manager, etc.) could not be specific to an FC3 install, rather they would have to be part of DCSW or it would break the game online. Make no mistake though that these features were specifically created for and budged for FC3.

As for the new and improved F-15C cockpit, work on this started about a year ago because we felt of all the FC aircraft, it is the most popular. That is not a slight to the eastern aircraft, nor any indication of some sort of western bias. While we would also have LOVED to include a new and improved MiG-29 or Su-27 cockpit, the time needed would fall well outside the product window. As someone that has been flying Eagle products since the original Flanker, I too look forward to a new Crane cockpit!

As mentioned before by our moderators that show boundless patience, it is not our decision regarding the requirement for a LOMAC installation. This was a stipulation with Ubisoft that allowed us to create these addons. However, this is also a big reason why FC3 will probably be the last LOMAC product.

Finally, on the matter of price, we price all products based on the financial investment compared to forecasted revenue based on two decades of experience. For those that think we make money hand over fist making these titles, you could not be more wildly mistaken. If we solely based price on what end users deemed the cost should be rather than based on actual development costs, we would have been out of business long ago. As it is, we are often lucky to break even on these products.

Edited by Wags
  • Like 1

Wags, will the landing physics be improved in future updates (as noted as one of the new features)? The way it is now, it's as scripted as it was in FC1/FC2. Please see this thread:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=96743

Thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

2nd Company 1st financial guard battalion "Mrcine"

See our squads here and our

Croatian radio chat for DCS World

• ED Team

thanks for the update Wags,

I am loving FC3 beta and I am looking forward to future DCS and third party products.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

As I said above: "There will of course be further changes while FC3 is beta, but until those features are final and integrated into an installer, we cannot comment on them at this time."

Ok. thanks for the info. I feel a lot better knowing it's in the works. Anything more advanced then the current glued on the runway landing / ice skating taxiing we have right now, would be a step forward.

If it takes time, so be it. Just make it part of FC3.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

Nice to have another FC3 statement from you side Wags.

now with several session with FC3 in SP and MP, Im really enjoying it.

although I was slightly dissapointed with some missing issues, I could recognize the positve impact, which FC3 has in MP scenearios and its truly fun to fly the fastmovers in DCSW scenario..

lookin forward to further FC3 improvements and DCS modules..

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

I know this is not the thread, but I didn't found where is the thread about the landing script...

I tried and make "3-points landing" with mig-29 and f-15 (plus the su-25 and su-25t that always has afm)... the only aircraft without this feature is su-27/33...

So this is "A+++" for ED :)

PS: all this done beafore this update

Intel i5 11700F + H80 | 4x4GB 3200mhz RAM | AORUS ELITE B560M | Samsung 850 PRO SSD 256gb| KINGSTON SA400 480GB SSD | WD 500GB | Gigabyte GTX 1070 8GB | Antec 1200 PSU | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and homemade panels and rudder pedals | 24" Samsung T24C550 @60Hz 2ms | Opentrack 3 led clip

Thank you for your hard work (to all ED).

It's once more clear that all about DCS and ED is 70% love for what you are doing and 30% strict money-related boundaries.

Keep it up, I wish you all the success your efforts deserve :thumbup: :thumbup:

As I said above: "There will of course be further changes while FC3 is beta, but until those features are final and integrated into an installer, we cannot comment on them at this time."

Can you comment on why a large percentage of your fans and customers can't install FC3 beta with the LOMAC install you provided on the FC3 website?

It's a known issue and well posted on the forums of the last week, yet has gone completely unaddressed by ED.

Just an example on how things start their own life:

Wags, will the landing physics be improved in future updates (as noted as one of the new features)? The way it is now, it's as scripted as it was in FC1/FC2.

Ok. thanks for the info. I feel a lot better knowing it's in the works.

Wags never said that the landing physics will be improved but the original poster seems to think he did. He only said that there will be further changes but does not comment anywhere on what these changes are.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Thanks for updates, Wags.

The comments written recently by some of us about FC3 are to be considered as a clear manifestation of our passion for a unique product (unfortunately!) of its kind.

Keep up the good work! (:director: and update the Su-27 3D model!)

and might as well do the Su 33 while u are at it as well. :p :thumbup: :music_whistling:

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Wags never said that the landing physics will be improved but the original poster seems to think he did. He only said that there will be further changes but does not comment anywhere on what these changes are.

Actually, read this before accusing me of making things up:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1541528&postcount=1

And here's a quote for you:

Key Features of Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 include:

• A DCS World module that is compatible with DCS titles.
  • New 6 degrees of freedom (6DOF) cockpit and model for the F-15C.
  • New F-15C campaign and single missions.
  • Improved takeoff and landing flight dynamics.
  • New, advanced flight dynamics for air-to-air missiles.
  • Updated and improved HUDs and other cockpit systems.
  • Resource Manager that adds logistics control to missions.
  • Expanded theatre of operations map into eastern Georgia.
  • Countless other improvements in the areas of the mission editor, special effects, new models, improved terrain detail and AI.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

TY Wags for this very detailed statement!

Finally, on the matter of price, we price all products based on the financial investment compared to forecasted revenue based on two decades of experience. For those that think we make money hand over fist making these titles, you could not be more wildly mistaken. If we solely based price on what end users deemed the cost should be rather than based on actual development costs, we would have been out of business long ago. As it is, we are often lucky to break even on these products.

Honestly, I alway wondered why your stuff is not way more expensive! So thank you also to ED for a more than fair pricing policy.

:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

Actually, read this before accusing me of making things up:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1541528&postcount=1

And here's a quote for you:

Since you seem to have already all the evidence that it is to come... why did you ask again?

Because it was not in the BETA? Remember... BETA!!!

I which they would stop making BETA's available. Makes people keep whining over and over again.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Because it was not in the BETA? Remember... BETA!!!

I which they would stop making BETA's available. Makes people keep whining over and over again.

I wish they stop calling everything beta. But then you couldn't play the beta card over and over again, don't you?

Whining at beta or release, honestly what's the difference? There will always be whining. Some betas were better then some released patches.

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

I think there is a difference. If you purchase beta often there is a disclaimer saying something in he lines: "WIP". Those who think there might be deal breaker will want to wait for the final product for decision under the risk of feeling cheated without logic basis despite being warned beforehand.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P