Some details of FC3 AFM Missile Improvements

Wags

• ED Team

There have been a lot of questions of what the new FC3 Advanced Flight Model (AFM) for missiles entails, so here is description of some of the new features:

•  
  • Launcher platform speed, thrust, missile weight, total drag, gravity, etc. are all calculated to determine missile speed.

• Missiles now incur realistic energy bleed that accounts for drag, induced drag and gravity. Induced drag calculates g-load and that factors the missile’s lift. Missiles will now bleed energy very quickly if the target performs hard maneuvers.

• We added a longitudinal-load fuze arming type. The missile warhead of missile will only be armed after reaching the assigned longitudinal g-load (acceleration). Otherwise the missile will not detonate.

• We added a limited duration to the missile’s power system (gas-generator, generator and hydraulic pump). When the onboard power system is exhausted, the missile goes ballistic.

• We added a self-destruction timer. Some missiles will self-destruct when the timer is reached.

• We added altitude based of self-destruction. Some missiles will destruct when reaching an assigned altitude above ground level.

• We added a guidance timer delay. After launching a missile, the missile will fly straight from the from launcher for safety reasons before initiating the guidance stage. This is typically 0.3…1.5 seconds. For example: the R-27R missile flies unguided forward for 0.5 seconds before guidance to target starts.

• We added parameters of loft trajectory. The initial range to target, the range of transition to proportional navigation, and initial angle of loft are all factored.

Edited by Wags

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^^

Correct. Your sidewinders in your A-10C for example should be affected as soon as the upgrade for DCSW comes out on with FC3. You don't have to buy FC3 for that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I take it this is for all missiles and not just for A2A?

Good question Joey :thumbup:

So will we get AFM for SAMs and for A2G Missiles also ?

Atop the midnight tarmac,

a metal beast awaits.

To be flown below the radar,

to bring the enemy his fate.

HAVE A BANDIT DAY !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong." - R. Buckminster Fuller (1895 - 1983), American Architect, Author, Designer, Inventor, and Futurist

Faareakin sweet sauceness!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, they can certainly make something out of you"

-Muhammad Ali

WIN 7 64-bit SP1 | AMD Phenom II X4 955 | 8.0 GB RAM | NVidia GeForce GTX 550Ti | CH Pro Throttle | CH Fighterstick | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR5

I can't answer that; it's either done already, or, 'all in good time'. PLease keep in mind that turning AFM for missiles is neither easy nor quick. This gets a bit worse with SAMs because of their more varied and usually somewhat more complex guidance methods.

Good question Joey :thumbup:

So will we get AFM for SAMs and for A2G Missiles also ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Thanks for give me the opportunity to rephrase.

I want to ask if it´s possible to choose between different proximity options for Large-Medium-Short targets before launching missiles.

Or this feature is remodeled or revamped to fit the new AFM.

Maybe you are refering to something different XDD ¡¡ and new..

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Maybe in the future could get contact fuzes and proximity fuzes and the option in cockpit to choose from different arming options, taking in count that the acceleration of the missile arms the fuze and now ED had modelled this acceleration and it´s relation with arming the warhead.

Also modelling Target Detecion Devices in missiles could be a great addon.

Thanks GG.

Edited by Esac_mirmidon

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Thanks for that info guys,

Heck for the asking price of FC3 alone just to get AFM missiles would have been worth it for me. That's a game changer for sure, and a very welcome addition.

It will be in DCS world anyway due to compatibility issues anyway.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

There have been a lot of questions of what the new FC3 Advanced Flight Model (AFM) for missiles entails, so here is description of some of the new features:

•  
  • Launcher platform speed, thrust, missile weight, total drag, gravity, etc. are all calculated to determine missile speed.

• Missiles now incur realistic energy bleed that accounts for drag, induced drag and gravity. Induced drag calculates g-load and that factors the missile’s lift. Missiles will now bleed energy very quickly if the target performs hard maneuvers.

• We added a longitudinal-load fuze arming type. The missile warhead of missile will only be armed after reaching the assigned longitudinal g-load (acceleration). Otherwise the missile will not detonate.

• We added a limited duration to the missile’s power system (gas-generator, generator and hydraulic pump). When the onboard power system is exhausted, the missile goes ballistic.

• We added a self-destruction timer. Some missiles will self-destruct when the timer is reached.

• We added altitude based of self-destruction. Some missiles will destruct when reaching an assigned altitude above ground level.

• We added a guidance timer delay. After launching a missile, the missile will fly straight from the from launcher for safety reasons before initiating the guidance stage. This is typically 0.3…1.5 seconds. For example: the R-27R missile flies unguided forward for 0.5 seconds before guidance to target starts.

• We added parameters of loft trajectory. The initial range to target, the range of transition to proportional navigation, and initial angle of loft are all factored.

success_baby.jpg

• Like 2

[*]We added a guidance timer delay. After launching a missile, the missile will fly straight from the from launcher for safety reasons before initiating the guidance stage. This is typically 0.3…1.5 seconds. For example: the R-27R missile flies unguided forward for 0.5 seconds before guidance to target starts.

That explains this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=70139&d=1346525186

Edited by Witchking

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Maybe in the future could get contact fuzes and proximity fuzes and the option in cockpit to choose from different arming options, taking in count that the acceleration of the missile arms the fuze and now ED had modelled this acceleration and it´s relation with arming the warhead.

Also modelling Target Detecion Devices in missiles could be a great addon.

Thanks GG.

Err what Air to air missiles do you believe have the option to select between contact or prox fusing ?