FC3 is very difficult

Memcco

I crash and burn every time. Used to play FC 1.1b for years, and the targets were easy to spot. Not in FC3. Is there a way to make the labels larger for a beginner? It's taken me a while to get this far with help from Scott and some of you guys, thanks again for your input. Mike

• ED Team

Hi Mike

have you tried game avionics in the dcs gameplay options?

it will give you extra GUI on the screen which should help identify targets easy.

PS. I am Scott :)

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

When you turn on game mode it will highlight the targets and give you an extra pointers for finding enemy

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Does it shoot missiles at you?

If so: SAM :lol:

You can also hit Lshift-F10 to turn on text labels if desired, though this can get cluttered in areas with a high concentration of enemy units. It can be very helpful to quickly turn it on and off in the beginning though when you're getting back in the swing of things.

• ED Team

Manual can be found in the game root also :)

DCS\Mods\aircraft\Flaming Cliffs\Doc

I want to play this as a game. FC3 seem to be suited for that. Labels tell you what the target is, I'm trying to play without them but it's hard in VR. The other aircraft get really involved. I bought A10C and still haven't even turned it on after owning it for months now. It comes with a 700 page manual!!! I'm not reading that, I'm jumping on a multiplayer server and some friends will teach me how to use it. From what I'm told, FC3 planes are baby's toys compared to the others available.

I think I read somewhere the DCS used to use large aircraft models that would look stupid on an airport but made it easier to see aircraft in the distance while flying. Right now, I only see tiny dot's that might appear at 40 NM out in the distance, and you can forget about seeing any missles in VR without labels

In reality pilots with perfect vision are not able to see fighter sized aircraft at anywhere near that distance...and forget about what amounts to a metal spear travelling at supersonic speeds. There are reports of F-4 pilots losing visual contact with MiGs inside of 2 miles. You're not supposed to be able to see these objects at extreme distances. If you want a cheat to see targets and missiles, the text label system already exists and you can enable game avionics mode for a magic all-seeing RADAR display that will appear in the corner of your screen. If you want larger labels or to increase the distance at which text descriptors are displayed, search the DCS directory for labels.lua, open it with a text editor, and adjust the label types and distances to taste.

Model enlargement was removed from the game many, many versions ago because it was more a hindrance than help. It made it extremely difficult to be able to tell what distance an aircraft actually was away from you; giant fighters would appear to hang in the sky like jumbo jets. A handful of people liked it, and you can head over to the wishlist section of you want to add your voice to their request to bring it back.

I will also add crying things like "I'm not reading the manual!" aren't a great approach to this game and are unlikely to ingratiate you to the community here. ;)

EDIT: Here's a great post by Shahdoh breaking down how to edit the font size etc. for the text labels.

Edited by feefifofum

DCS is not a game you can just play like others and be the hero, you need to earn it, your always learning something new around here. I know your keen to be at the ACE level, take your time Memcco and it will all come together, it's not going happen overnight.

Just start with getting good with one aircraft.

Say? DCS F-15C Combat Guide for Beginners

Read then practice in sim, setup your own "simple mission" with the F-15 and just practice shooting down some easy transport aircraft that don't shoot back, so you can learn the systems and get more familiar with how it all works.

or Russian aircraft

Su27 - A complete guide to combat employment and tactics

All the FC3 aircraft work similar to the others. FC3-Fighters / FC3-Ground Pounders

I've attached below a very simple mission so you can learn the weapons and systems without fighters shooting back.

Save the file in the missions folder

C:\Users\(YOUR USER NAME)\Saved Games\DCS\Missions

Select it in DCS by going to missions (My missions) pick (F15C_Shoot_Transports)

F15C_Shoot_Transports.miz

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I don't get it...:huh:

Things were easier to spot in the old days. The newer graphics engine makes it more difficult today.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Things were easier to spot in the old days. The newer graphics engine makes it more difficult today.

But then surely one would start with icons before game mode, invulnerability and other advices in this thread. Although the name of the thread should also be "Targets are very difficult to spot in DCS", not "FC3 is very difficult" :)

OP, try icons, and also icons mods, ones that remove text and distance numbers and leave only one symbol.

...Although the name of the thread should also be "Targets are very difficult to spot in DCS", not "FC3 is very difficult" :)

Why? Thats a problem for all modules. He also wrote "I crash and burn every time.". There was no PFM for the birds back in the days of FC 1, so he has to learn to fly every bird again except of the Mig-29.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Why? Thats a problem for all modules. He also wrote "I crash and burn every time.". There was no PFM for the birds back in the days of FC 1, so he has to learn to fly every bird again except of the Mig-29.

Yeah, would be interesting to hear from OP again, not sure what he meant. AFM/PFM is fun as the plane feels alive at the edge of flight envelope (and su25 had AFM in FC1), without crazy scripted departures. I wouldn't say F15 is significantly harder to fly now compared to FC1, certainly not to the extent where you can fly FC1 no problem and then crash and burn with AFM. I thought he meant he was getting shot down... We'll see if he replies.

• 2 weeks later...