Shooting down AI at 40km away with R-27ER

Bruce_D

That's very unusual. I can lock them from like 60nm - the moment they show up on the radar. They don't fire unless about 30nm.

You can always release the missile. You just may have no "shoot" cue from the computer.

It seems huge only when you know where the enemy is.

I do a lot better when I have SA. Most of the time after BVR fails to conclude the fight I have little idea of bandits location after merge. I end up flying circles, bleeding energy, desperatly looking around and using radar to find'em.

We were talking about 40km not 40nm.

When distance is less than 40nm I always bug them in TWS.

There are no a/c currently in DCS capable of launching them so why adding 120D which is at testing phase.

This year F-14B is coming with its Phoenix. You want to forbid it on servers or what? It's a sim. If there's capable equipment you should be able to use it however you want. But can you even find the fighter 80nm away? You have to lock on something first.

I play this as a game. Sure it's a simulator, but I play it for entertainment. I had no idea Aim 120D is only for newer planes, good. This doesn't have them, so nobody is going to be firing missles from 80 NM away. I would assume if they put a missle in the game that was capable of that, it could lock and fire at whatever distance it is supposed to.

Don't care about the f14b, but if they want to make it and put in a phoenix missle, then so be it. Hopefully that doesn't mean it's an insta kill all the time from so far away. I'm sure it isn't because like you said.... This is a simulator. I enjoy this as a game, just like many others that get shot down hundreds of times and just respawn to do it again.

Don't care about the f14b, but if they want to make it and put in a phoenix missle, then so be it. Hopefully that doesn't mean it's an insta kill all the time from so far away.

Actually long range AAMs are already in the game. You can get a feel of that if you make a mission with AI F-14 or MiG-31 (w/R-33) for yourself. Of course you evade them like any others.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria