Best BVR Fighter?

Hello, everyone! I was wondering what the best DCS FC3 fighter is for BVR. I know that the Su-27S is best for WVR, because of PFM, R-73, and sustained turn rates (the non-PFM MiG-29S doesn't have much G-tolerance, and the Su-33 can't turn as fast), and I know that in real life the F-22A, F-35A, Su-35S, and Su-57 rule. But, what about between the DCS F-15C, MiG-29S, Su-27S, and Su-33? I have the most experience with the Su-27S, but I'm imagining that can carry over to the Su-33. I'm not that bad with the MiG-29S, but I rarely ever score BVR kills. I don't fly the F-15C very much, but the AIM-120s are quite good (I think). Now, a few aircraft-specific questions:

F-15C Eagle: I'd like to know how to get a higher kill probability with the AIM-120.

MiG-29S "Fulcrum-C": I can't afford to use more than 2 (or preferably more than 1) missile per kill, so how do I make the R-77 work up to its full potential?

Su-27S "Flanker-B": How can I get BVR kills with just 2 ERs or 1 ER and 1 ET?

Su-33 (Su-27K) "Flanker-D": I can afford to use 3 R-27ERs per kill (though I wish I didn't have to), but they ALL usually miss. What am I doing wrong?

And now a few questions about the missiles:

1-Why is it that the R-27ER is longer-ranged, when the AIM-7 burns longer?

2-Ever since learning the MiG-29S, I'd always thought the AIM-120 was better than the R-77, yet some people think otherwise. Why?

Answer to your question in topic title:

It is difficult to give a precise answer to what you would like but each has its advantages and disadvantages. This is where pilot training is apparent. If you can properly use your device against opponent's weaknesses then you will not be in a dilemma who is better.

Su-27S "Flanker-B": How can I get BVR kills with just 2 ERs or 1 ER and 1 ET?

It depends on many factors and the most important is aspect of the target, your/target speed, altitude, range... Mostly, best results are within 8km max (the best is 6-8km).

Su-33 (Su-27K) "Flanker-D": I can afford to use 3 R-27ERs per kill (though I wish I didn't have to), but they ALL usually miss. What am I doing wrong?

See the answer for Su-27S "Flanker-B" ;)

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

Q: F-15C Eagle: I'd like to know how to get a higher kill probability with the AIM-120.

A: Fly high and fast. Don't shoot until within the NEZ

Q: MiG-29S "Fulcrum-C": I can't afford to use more than 2 (or preferably more than 1) missile per kill, so how do I make the R-77 work up to its full potential?

Q: Su-27S "Flanker-B": How can I get BVR kills with just 2 ERs or 1 ER and 1 ET?

Q: Su-33 (Su-27K) "Flanker-D": I can afford to use 3 R-27ERs per kill (though I wish I didn't have to), but they ALL usually miss. What am I doing wrong?

Q: Why is it that the R-27ER is longer-ranged, when the AIM-7 burns longer?

A: Because motor burn time is only one of many factors that determine a missile's range

Q: Ever since learning the MiG-29S, I'd always thought the AIM-120 was better than the R-77, yet some people think otherwise. Why?

A: Because opinions are like a-holes...everybody's got one and they all stink. ;)

...Fly high and fast. Don't shoot until within the NEZ... ;)

And get ET in the face. ;)

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

And now a few questions about the missiles:

1-Why is it that the R-27ER is longer-ranged, when the AIM-7 burns longer?

Because the R-27ER has a gigantic rocket motor with a lot of propellant. The peak speed is higher and so is the average speed.

To get more technical, you can expect the AIM-7 to be propelled to M2.5-3.0 in about 3 seconds, then sustained for another 12.

The R-27ER will be propelled to over mach 3 in 2 seconds, and sustain/accelerate (big sustain motor) for about another 8 seconds.

(BTW, R-27ER exists in part because of disappointment with R-27R range vs. AIM-7).

2-Ever since learning the MiG-29S, I'd always thought the AIM-120 was better than the R-77, yet some people think otherwise. Why?
Because the internet. The R-77 may have been competitive in some way with the AIM-120A, but by the time it even had a chance to come into the limelight it was already out-classed by the 120B and had inferior range.

None of this is to say that these missiles aren't fearsome. They should be respected.

As for this 'can't afford more than x missiles' thing ... LOL :D You use as many as you need to.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

And get ET in the face. ;)

This would require a whole other discussion about countermeasures/engagement tactics... :lol:

Um, er, I don't want to sound like an idiot, but what's NEZ?

In a head-on engagement, there are three lines coming off of the range indicator on the side of your HUD in both the Flankers (left side) and F-15C (right side.)

The first line is RPI; Range Probable Intercept, sometimes referred to as Rmax. If the target doesn't change its behavior, the missile will have the energy to intercept it.

The second line is RTR; Range Turn and Run. The target can perform a 180 degree turn, straight away from you, and missile will have the energy to intercept it.

The third line is the minimum range at which the missile can be fired, sometimes referred to as Rmin.

In between the second and third line is the area referred to as the NEZ, or No Escape Zone, where the target cannot prevent the missile from intercepting its position.

The higher and faster you (and your target) are when you fire, the larger the NEZ becomes.

Edited by feefifofum

• 1 month later...
Um, er, I don't want to sound like an idiot, but what's NEZ?

I don't know what the acronym means. But this is what I do in the F15c

I do NOT lock the target up until I'm close and ready to fire. If at all possible, I will have the radar up and as soon as I'm about 20 NM from target, I'll lock them up, I immediately get the fire missle lights to illuminate and I release. You can see the time it will take you to merge with target and beneath that is how long it will take the missle to intercept the target, this is in the lower right corner of the HUD when you have the missle selected. I use that information in conjunction with the radar on the left. If you have it set for 20 miles each square represents 5 miles. If it's set to 40 miles each square is 10 miles, 80 each square is 20 miles and 160 miles each square is 40 miles.

If you hear them starting to beam you, you can hit E to jam and it might buy you a few additional seconds which could be the difference between life and death.

I also fly fast so I have a lot of energy in case it turns into a dog fight.

You'll have to be ready to switch to a weapon like an Aim 9 or Aim 7 if you get close like I do though because if it doesn't take them out in 1 hit or you miss, you'll be close and Aim120 is a long range missle.

I don't know what the acronym means...

NEZ: No Escape Zone. The area where you cannot maneuver in a way to make the missile not reach you.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.