y2kiah's A-10C cockpit build

y2kiah

PM'ed you Weeb. AutoCAD will work in Lazy CAM.

Here is what it does:

dxf%20proof.jpg

Windows 7 64 Home Premium, i5 3570K (3.4 @ 4.4GHz), Asus P8Z77-V LX, 16GB dual channel 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidia GTX980ti, 240 GB OCZ SSD, 3 TB Raptor, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas and Throttle, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals.

Mach 3 is for controlling a CNC and as far as I know does not work with DXF. You need something like AutoCAD or a DXF viewer to read these files

Boltz, you are correct on this one. It's a common misconception about dxf files and I am not going to go into the where's and why's in case autodesk sues me

but there are more ways to skin a cat :thumbup:

Windows 7 64 Home Premium, i5 3570K (3.4 @ 4.4GHz), Asus P8Z77-V LX, 16GB dual channel 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidia GTX980ti, 240 GB OCZ SSD, 3 TB Raptor, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas and Throttle, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals.

By the way, long time no hear, how's your build going? I am in the process of using Y2's front console plans and making them skeletal. I'm using 15mmx15mm angle, having to peg board to bend, but it's coming together. Will post pix soon hopefully.

Can you import them?

Mach3, or CNC unfortunately, I'm laser dude so I can't offer any other advice. Maybe, Warhog or Boltz or HMA can help.The files for me do as they "say on the tin" so I really can't bring anything else to the table m8 :thumbup:

Download the file as is. Open autocad, open file and the file should show as a drawing. I am really struggling to understand why it does not work. It does here. Don't rename it, create a new folder and stick the drawings in there. Point autocad to that folder, make sure that the default application is autocad, get rid of viewers etc. You need autocad to open the file m8 :thumbup:

I just clicked on one of the files and a screen with text appears. I then did a right click and picked "save as" and saved the file as shit.dxf. It downloaded the file (in Chrome) and then I just clicked on the file and it opened in AutoCAD. No problemo.

So its back to...what is it that you expect to happen. What software are you wanting to use and what is it that you expect the software to be able to do for you. You may be thinking it will do something that it can not.

Do you have AutoCAD? If so all you need to do is double click the file and it opens. Did you spell the extension correctly? It should be newfile.DXF or dxf. Case matters not

I saw that you miss-spelled it a few posts ago as in DFX. It won't open with that spelling.

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

Warhog, I don't understand why these files are set up the way they are. Anyway, your suggestion works and all is well. I did misspell dfx a few times and corrected it where seen and in extension also. AutoCAD, LazyCAM and Mach3 is the software being used. Now to continue construction of the 6 DOF Stewart platforms. Happy Days, John W.

Warhog, I don't understand why these files are set up the way they are. Anyway, your suggestion works and all is well. I did misspell dfx a few times and corrected it where seen and in extension also. AutoCAD, LazyCAM and Mach3 is the software being used. Now to continue construction of the 6 DOF Stewart platforms. Happy Days, John W.

Excellent. Glad to here all is now good.

Best of luck on your build. And don't forget to take pics as you progress.:)

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

Flim your still about.? Can I just say that between You, Y2 and Brenda, you made a huge difference to people like me who don't know their arse from a hole in the ground. I would never have tried it without your collective help.

Stay frosty!

wee3b

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know of sombody with a cnc in so cal? I took flims seat plan to a cabinet maker, and he quoted me $750 + wood just for the seat. What is a decent price? My wife is understanding about my flight sim hobby, but those prices will land me in the divorce attorneys office.

• 6 months later...

hey guys not sure if anyone has asked or done this before but i have spent the past few days trying to get these plans to print on a large format printer so i can use them as a template to cut out the wood. i have no idea what im doing when it comes to this. i use draftsight to open the files but i try to convert to pdf (the printer cant use dxf) it cuts some off or it is way too small any help would be great also what is used for the front dash in this pit

Edited by tiredandirtysoldier

DEVIL ASSASSIN (if you ran over my hide in an Abrams in 2003 I'm still waiting for my beer)

Does anyone know of sombody with a cnc in so cal? I took flims seat plan to a cabinet maker, and he quoted me $750 + wood just for the seat. What is a decent price? My wife is understanding about my flight sim hobby, but those prices will land me in the divorce attorneys office.

That's pretty high.... I'm not going to lie, it takes time finding someone who not rip you off!

Maybe $500 for the seat cut max...

Hi

I took my plans into a local school and had them cut on a laser cutter, and I made a donation to their current fundraising. The compromise was that the max thickness of ply it would cut was 9mm. This actually worked fine as long as you use interior ply. I think it cost £60 in wood and £150 donation.

Neal

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

• 2 years later...

I'm back baby!

After many years on hiatus, I am restarting my pit build. I have a new, simplified set of plans based on a modified version of Deadman's outer tub, and a complete redesign of my original inner consoles. This new pit should now be easier and cheaper to build, and more accurate in several places.

My first modification was to split the tub lengthwise into 3 parts so it can be disassembled and fit through a standard doorway, as well as providing a hinge point for swinging the sides open to enter and exit the pit without climbing. The next modification was the shorten the pit on both ends so that it fits within a 5ft. x 5ft. profile. The pit measures 60" x 53.75" with some spill-over from the seat and HUD frame. I also lowered the pit by a couple inches and plan to use 2x6 lumber for the floor rails. Finally, I cut corners (literally!), so that I could snug the whole thing up to a corner of my room, get the screens closer, and still be able to swing the side open by about 15-20 degrees.

My inner side consoles were redesigned to do away with the cross-sectional ribs and go with a mostly longitudinal structure, inspired by the Lynx design. This simplified the whole thing, especially around the Warthog throttle mount. The whole front panel structure was also redesigned to replace the aluminum angle construction with 1/2" plywood. I left room behind the center pedestal for my new TM TPRs.

For visuals, I was thinking about starting with 3 vertically mounted TVs on a custom 80/20 hinged frame. I also have an Oculus Rift, and although it will probably not be my preferred way to fly, the immersion is undeniable, so I will be experimenting with VR in the pit as well. The ultimate setup, I think, would be to use 3d glasses to get a bit of both worlds.

I'm sorry for the terrible renders, I'm still using Sketchup for this project and it doesn't seem to have a decent renderer anymore.

preview

preview

preview

preview

preview

preview

preview

preview

preview

preview

preview

preview