Shrek Squadron's 1st Meeting

Trubshaw

Shrek  Crest.jpg

After being in each other’s heads every Tuesday night, via Teamspeak, for many years the 9th -=Shrek=- Squadron finally got a chance to use their mark one eyeballs on each other this July. Tin Tin aka DarkEagle announced his plan to visit England and Squadron founder Ogreman offered him part of his swamp to squat in for a few days. This triggered an open invite from the Ogre himself to all squad members to come and admire his pit and meet Tin Tin.

Wednesday saw small group set off to Duxford. Dragon drove Mrs Dragon, Tin Tin, Big Newy and Ogreman. The IWM was fantastic but we were also treated to a flying display of the rare two-seat Mk IXT Spitfire. Tin Tin knew every plane in fact if you show him a rivet he will tell you the name of the plane.

Thursday saw the great gathering. Other founder members Balrog and Dragon, accompanied by Mrs Dragon, gathered for a BBQ at Swamp Central. Big Newy and Trubshaw came along and were allowed to sit in Ogreman’s awesome pit! Apologies were accepted from Catz, Grunt and Hawk. We welcomed BeeKay and Nebs who were keen to become fellow swampies. Big Newy cooked meat while the Ogre himself prepared fresh vittles from Sainbury’s to put on a spread fit for the occasion.

Beer, wine and vodka flowed, although the stream of vodka only seemed to flow one way.....towards Big Newy’s glass! Balrog kept us all entertained with tails of his adventures. Many things were discussed from the real world to DCS world and back again. Big Newy was nominated to be in charge of diplomatic relations. Serious matters of tail numbers, were finally put to bed, along with Big Newy. However, most importantly BeeKay and Nebs were officially welcomed into the 9th -=Shrek=- Squadron and allocated squadron numbers.

When the smoke from the BBQ and mist from the swamp and Big Newy’s head had cleared in the morning one thing was clear we were all serious about the flight sim environment, supportive and helpful with a big slab of humour. This will be the first of many 9th -=Shrek=- Squadron meetings and I look forward to them all.

If you want to know more about us then look us up at http://www.shreksquadron.org and leave a message in our guest book.

Cheers

TrubshawRN

DSCF4784.JPG
DSCF4797.JPG

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TrubshawRN -=SHREK 94=-

• ED Team

It was great meeting up with everyone, being able to put a face to the voices you hear all the time on TS is great.

Duxford was outstanding, and the Fighter Collection hangars and aircraft superb :thumbup:

Looking forward to the next get together :smilewink: ( I will bring more vodka next time lol )

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

I would recommend it to any squadron, if you ever have the opportunity to get most of your members together don't let it pass.

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

Rear row from left to right

Dragon , Balrog , Beekay , TINTIN ( a.k.a MTFDarkEagle ) , TrubshawRN

Front row left to right

Ogreman, BIGNEWY , Nebs

:)

Edited by BIGNEWY

The most abiding memory of this gathering for me was the unbroken smiles and unbridled laughter ....... when you have been flying together for as long as us ..... there is no "ice to break". It was simply great fun being with people you already regard as friends.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What an ugly bunch of F@rts ... oopsie-daisy ... I mean *blokes* (I gotta tread carefully with my tendency for trailer-trash talk, so say my betters ;o)).

That's a Douglas Skyraider in the back-ground! You lucky buggers! A toast to the stalwarts of Shrek Air Strike Sqn ... Cheers mateys from an antipodean, thanks for sharing your mateship!

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

• ED Team
What an ugly bunch of F@rts...

I bet there is no mirrors in your house ! lol ;)

The Skyraider looked amazing and a lot bigger than I thought it would be.

It was great being able to see the aircraft and even touch some of them :)

• Like 1

What an ugly bunch of F@rts ... oopsie-daisy ... I mean *blokes* (I gotta tread carefully with my tendency for trailer-trash talk, so say my betters ;o)).

That's a Douglas Skyraider in the back-ground! You lucky buggers! A toast to the stalwarts of Shrek Air Strike Sqn ... Cheers mateys from an antipodean, thanks for sharing your mateship!

The Skyraider looked amazing and a lot bigger than I thought it would be.

It was great being able to see the aircraft and even touch some of them :)

TP, You can tell BN is now the Diplomatic officer ey? :D

• ED Team

That was in my youth Peter, war, wife, and children have put the years on me lol

I make a mean cocktail as well !

:)

Nah, they all cracked long ago mate hehe.

TP, You can tell BN is now the Diplomatic officer ey? :D

LOL ... newly appointed position?

That was in my youth Peter, war, wife, and children have put the years on me lol

I make a mean cocktail as well !

Now that's a well worn excuse BN! I used that one a decade ago ;)

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

• ED Team
Now that's a well worn excuse BN! I used that one a decade ago ;)

Now you are showing your age :) sounds like you should be in a sqaudron like ours, full of silver surfers ;)

drop by any time on our TS even just for a chat, always good to make contact with like minded sim fanatics :)

details on our website in my sig

Edited by BIGNEWY

Now you are showing your age :) sounds like you should be in a sqaudron like ours, full of silver surfers ;)

drop by any time on our TS even just for a chat, always good to make contact with like minded sim fanatics :)

details on our website in my sig

Mate, thanks for the invite. I'll do that. Cheers! :thumbup:

• 1 month later...
  • ED Team
Are you guys recruiting now ?

We are always looking for new pilots, feel free to join us and fly, get to know us and have some fun flying :)

server password will be given on TS3 join details on our website in my sig :)

Looks like fun! The 159th has had a few EU get togethers, and some random North American meetings as well.. Always nice to finally meet someone you "know" for the first time..

It was great meeting guys you fly with regular, lets face it we must all be crazy to be flight sim fanatics ! and it's nice meeting like minded people :joystick::thumbup:

Edited by BIGNEWY