DCS Hardware

Rhode

I am just getting into DCS for the first time and looking for some hardware to enhance my experience. I've put a head tracking device on order and I'm ready to start looking at my next step. So far I have the L39, the MiG 21, and the Mi-8 but I'm sticking with the L39 for now until I get a good 30-40 hours in it.

I am wondering what a good recommended set of rudder pedals would be. I see a few on Amazon, but which ones have people tried, and which ones work best for you? I've got the X52 joystick which I've been using for 10 years, I'm probably not apt to change it very soon but my wrist is tired of swivel, especially in helicopters.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, I'm looking for hardware like an artificial horizon, something to display IAS and Mach, and an altimeter. FSX has a lot of stuff available, but so far I am gathering that these aren't compatible with DCS. Is this true, and are there alternatives or work arounds? Something perhaps like this.

Other than that I am extremely impressed with the simulator. Once I'm a bit more confident with these fighter aircraft I suspect I will be joining everyone on the multiplayer servers!

The first question I'd ask is what is your budget? If you are prepared to spend around 300 Euros for a set of pedals, then I'd strongly recommend MFG Crosswinds. They are definitely not entry level items, but if you are looking for absolutely the best performance, with smooth, accurate control, and a build that will last a lifetime, and coming with excellent after-sales support, and with interchangeable components that will make them tunable, then these are definitely worth a look. Soon, they'll even become reconfigurable from foot fully on the pedals to heels on the floor styles.

As for gauges, I am sorry, but I haven't gone down that avenue yet. A word on the cockpit builders threads will give you all the advice needed to interface them I am sure.

On the cheaper side, CH's pedals are reasonably indestructible. They aren't the smoothest pedals around and lack adjustments, but they are accurate and 1/3rd the price of the MFG Crosswind. They are also mass produced rather than being made to order, which speeds things up a bit. I bought mine from Amazon ($100 USD + free shipping). In terms of additional displays, I don't know of any. I recommend waiting on that part until you get used to head tracking. I think you'll find that additional panels are a bit pointless once you have a good head tracker.

Saitek pedals are good as well.

Unless you want to mess with multiple monitors, Helios or DCS-Bios, you can't really get instruments on monitors like you have in M$FS.

But try adjusting to the headtracker first. It makes this sim soooo much more enjoyable. Wich one did you order?

If you can spare the cash and have the powerful PC for it, you can also get the Oculus Rift.

Happy Flying! :pilotfly:

Thanks for the replies, I will for sure look at a set of Crosswinds especially if there are no sets of gauges available. I want to get into helicopters eventually, and I have seen that really steady foot pedals are almost a must for them.

I ordered a setup on eBay for OpenTrack rather than going with TrackIR, it has reasonably good reviews and is 1/6th the price. Will be going the oculus route later in the year, maybe next year. I just finished building a PC specifically for it but I might wait for the second generation units if the head tracker works reasonably well.