Curved screens with trackIR

TIR doesn't know, or care, what your monitor looks like.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

He asks how it affects immersion and gameplay, not if TiR can be used with it :)

I liked the curve and ultra wide (21:9) aspect ratio of my screen. Peripheral vision improved, and the curvature made it easier to view the entire screen when sitting closer to it.

I sold it once I got the Oculus Rift though ;)

IMHO, UW screens are not tall enough to give a decent FOV. The height of the screen is too small to enable a decent view of what is above and below. TIR isn't relative here, the screen is still like looking through a slit.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Yeah, it can't be compared to VR.

But I went from a 27" 16x9 to a 34" 21x9, and this effectively just widened the screen but the height remained the same.

So instead of looking through a narrow split, I was looking through a wider split, which was better...

But you're absolutely correct, using screens, wide screens, 3 screens, gives a very narrow vertical view. That's what impressed me the most with VR, the vertical FoV...

Recently set up a 65" Samsung 4k Curved monitor (16:9). My eyes are 28" from screen. Screen covers practically entire peripheral vision. TIR works fine.

Edited by Chic

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Recently set up a 65" Samsung 4k Curved monitor (16:9). My eyes are 28" from screen. Screen covers practically entire peripheral vision. TIR works fine.

Don't tempt me. My 40" 4k monitor isn't old enough to replace. Although, I could move it to the home entertainment system. My Marantz A/V receiver supports 4k. Hmmmm.

• Like 1

Don't tempt me. My 40" 4k monitor isn't old enough to replace. Although, I could move it to the home entertainment system. My Marantz A/V receiver supports 4k. Hmmmm.

That was EXACTLY my rationale.

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

That was EXACTLY my rationale.

Thanks, that's just what I needed to hear. :cry:

Yowza!! now that would be a cool display.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I recently bought a new 34" LC UltraWide and love the experience. Mine is NOT the curved screen but it does give a different feeling as compared to my old 27" (1920x1080). I did find it took a little getting used to but that all changed when I added an MSI GeForce GTX 1070 card....whoa..no stuttering, great framerate and that pesky little problem of using the TPG (L MFCD) and Maverick (R MFCD) simultaneously is gone!

But I now wonder whether the TrackIR location on my monitor could be improved to respond better in the pitch direction. Has anybody dialed this in for these UltraWide screens and care to comment. I'm thinking about raising the TrackIR sensor up a couple inches above the screen. Comments?

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

I will comment when I get my Acer Predator 34A this week :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

@Pinefang........once you get it all set up youy will probably find your SnapViews are horribly off and sometimes worthless. The viewing angle and dimensions get seriously cropped in 2560 x 1080. But not to worry...

Check out this thread from a couple weeks ago.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=174744

I started it after I bought my LG 34" Ultra Widescreen and several folks were right on track to help me sort that out. Read the instructions on creating new SnapViews, I think you'll find it very rewarding as you get to really dial in what YOU want to see.

Regarding the 'immersion and game play', you get a wider perspective (obviously) which is great for the immersion but the screen height is more limiting. I'm still loving it! Panning left to right is pretty cool as long as you have a suitable graphics card. My new MSI GeForceGTX 1070 was an awesome upgrade.

On the subject of TIR, you'll probably want to spend a little time dialing in some new settings for your default view (seat position), and you Pitch and Yaw angles and speed. I slowed down the rotational speed on the Yaw due the screen width and increased it on the Pitch. Once I got that dialed in it has made flying a whole new adventure.

I'd be interested in hearing more on these topics once you get yours set up.

Regards,

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

Have TIR mounted on top of display tilted downward. ProClip knock off on

head set tilted upward sharply. Had to modify mounts on both units somewhat.

Have full range of motion in all TIR axis.

Edited by Chic

JUST CHOPPERS