In 2.5.0: ILS not working?

LeCuvier

Repeat: this is in stable release 2.5.0!

I have tried to learn the use of ILS at Batumi and at Senaki Kolkhi, but it looks as if there were no ILS signal. I have set the ILS frequency according to airport data in F10 view, ILS power switch on PWR, EGI and ILS are selected on the NMSP. Even when I was so close to the airfields that I could see the runway, the ADI and HSI showed red flags.

What can I be missing?

Edit: Just tried Kutaisi in 2.5.2 and have the same problem there.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

DCS is turning on and off ILS ground equipment (also 2NDB, PRMG) based on wind and it is not the same logic that ATC is using to assign landing runway. Therefore it is possible with some wind vectors that ground equipment is off for your assigned approach direction. The equipment for the other direction will be on if it exists or if it doesn't then no equipment is on.

There was an update to make the Stable version the same as OpenBeta today - did you install that update? If so, that would make sense.

Alienware Area 51 R5 - Intel i9 7980XE (4.7 GHz), 32GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics 11GB GDDR5X SLI, 4.5 TB combo of SSDs/HDDs, Alienware 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply, Alienware 25” 240Hz Gaming Monitor, Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard, TM HOTAS, TM Cougar F-16C MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, Win10 Pro x64

I found that the ILS Power Switch was actually OFF. A bit difficult to see, I will have to look real close.

But if you have to be perfectly aligned with the runway in order to use it, landing in thick fog will still be challenging.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

You should be able to pick up the localizer in a fairly wide cone from either end of the runway, but if you're approaching from the wrong end, you'll be on the backcourse, so you'll get localizer but no glideslope. I've mostly been practicing the startup procedures, becoming proficient with weapons employment, and then just doing visual landings. Haven't played around with the ILS to see if it works like it should. I'll have to give it a try. From what you're describing, it sounds like its broken.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

ILS in 2.5.2 Stable release vertical bar wrong

I have managed to set up ILS according to airbase data and get the morse signal and vertical and horizontal bars in the ADI. I landed at Kobuleti (runway 7) and Batumi (runway 13). The horizontal bar guided me correctly on the glide slope.

In both cases however, the vertical bar pointed me to a track well left of the runway axis and when I followed it I went far left (North in this case) of the airbase until I lost the the ILS signal.

In bad weather I could never find the runway with this ILS. Looks like a bug.

LeCuvier

What was your wind in the mission? You may have been following the back course localizer in which case when you are indicated right then you are left and vice versa. Although if you're on back course you shouldn't have any GS.

Wind was negligible. Anyway I don't see why ILS should direct me to the left because of wind. And I was not on a back course. In both cases I had been directed by ATC to fly in from the sea (in Batumi there is no other way anyway).

LeCuvier

Tried again today. Landed at Kutaisi runway 8 as directed by ATC. ILS vertical bar tried to point me away from the runway axis to the left. Horizontal bar continues to be ok.

LeCuvier

• 3 weeks later...
Noticed yesterday that the glide slope for Kohkhi is not working (localizer is ok). Latest 2.5 stable.

Works for me, except you have to be at about the right altitude on the glide slope for the horizontal bar to show. But the scale on the left always tells you whether you are above or below.

LeCuvier

weird. i could not get ILS for senaki. i also did not receive the audio-morse-code from the receiver. tested multiple times. i took the ils frequency from the f-10 map. i believe it was 108.90 or sth. ...

active runway was #9, which is the one which should have the ils.

so, maybe there is something wrong indeed?!

weird. i could not get ILS for senaki. i also did not receive the audio-morse-code from the receiver. tested multiple times. i took the ils frequency from the f-10 map. i believe it was 108.90 or sth. ...

active runway was #9, which is the one which should have the ils.

so, maybe there is something wrong indeed?!

I tried again just now, both in the stable and Open Beta version. Since they are both the same version now, it's not surprising that both behaved in the same way.

I approached Senaki from S and W flying N first and when TACAN indicated that Senaki was due E I turned E. At that point I was 15 nm W of Senaki at 3000 ft. I engaged ILS on 108.9 MHz. The localizer bar showed almost immediately. When TACAN indicated about 11 nm to go, the glide slope indicator showed that I was low. So I climbed just a little, and then the glide slope bar showed up. And from there I just followed these indications and landed safely on runway 09.

If this does not work for you, maybe you should run a repair.

LeCuvier

I tried again just now, both in the stable and Open Beta version. Since they are both the same version now, it's not surprising that both behaved in the same way.

I approached Senaki from S and W flying N first and when TACAN indicated that Senaki was due E I turned E. At that point I was 15 nm W of Senaki at 3000 ft. I engaged ILS on 108.9 MHz. The localizer bar showed almost immediately. When TACAN indicated about 11 nm to go, the glide slope indicator showed that I was low. So I climbed just a little, and then the glide slope bar showed up. And from there I just followed these indications and landed safely on runway 09.

If this does not work for you, maybe you should run a repair.

thanks a lot for checking.

i will also test again, but since i did not even get the morse code from the receiver, i can't really see, what i could have done wrong.

so, maybe i'll just reapair the install.

thanks again!

thanks a lot for checking.

i will also test again, but since i did not even get the morse code from the receiver, i can't really see, what i could have done wrong.

so, maybe i'll just reapair the install.

thanks again!

Oops, wait a minute! If you don't hear the morse code I would guess that you have not set the power switch to "PWR". It happened to me, I thought it was ON but it was OFF. You have to zoom in real close to check.

LeCuvier

Oops, wait a minute! If you don't hear the morse code I would guess that you have not set the power switch to "PWR". It happened to me, I thought it was ON but it was OFF. You have to zoom in real close to check.

oh yes. i know that from experience and checked multiple times that power was on:smilewink:

i also had weird behaviour that when having enabled both tacan and ils navigation mode in lower central console, the tacan would not feed to the hsi, as if the "broken" ils would override the hsi.

i had to deactivate ils navigation in the lower central console to get tacan working on the hsi.

normal behaviour has always been, that you could enable both tacan and ils, and have the hsi work with the tacan...

i will verify install and check again...

oh yes. i know that from experience and checked multiple times that power was on:smilewink:

i also had weird behaviour that when having enabled both tacan and ils navigation mode in lower central console, the tacan would not feed to the hsi, as if the "broken" ils would override the hsi.

i had to deactivate ils navigation in the lower central console to get tacan working on the hsi.

normal behaviour has always been, that you could enable both tacan and ils, and have the hsi work with the tacan...

i will verify install and check again...

I just found that there is a new update for Open Beta. Maybe you should run the update and check in OB...

LeCuvier

I like how you guys are just telling stories to each other and just shooting in the dark, creating conspiracy theories :lol: if at least one of you had posted a track this topic would have been resolved a long time ago

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days