Another 2080TI Bites The Dust.....

Retailer has tested the card and found it faulty. Instead of sending it back to ASUS for repair and another three month wait, they are dispatching a new one immediately, so hopefully it will be here early next week.

They are treating it as a new order, even has the price paid on their system as if I paid for it, (but nothing to pay) so warranty reset to day one.

I hope it is one from a late batch with the kinks ironed out.......

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Retailer has tested the card and found it faulty. Instead of sending it back to ASUS for repair and another three month wait, they are dispatching a new one immediately, so hopefully it will be here early next week.

They are treating it as a new order, even has the price paid on their system as if I paid for it, (but nothing to pay) so warranty reset to day one.

I hope it is one from a late batch with the kinks ironed out.......

That's how such a thing should be handled. If they reset the warranty to "brand new" it's even better.

Let's hope the best :thumbup:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

i had a problem with my rtx 1070 FE, had space invaders artifacts and other problems. these boards have a surprisingly high failure rate

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

You mean 2070 FE? There isn't any evidence to actually support that, scroll up in the thread and you will see. I've had 2 2080 Ti's since they first came out. No issues.

Even a failure rate of 1% is a lot of people but it's just bad luck. That's why it's important to shop from a reputable vendor/AiB with a good return policy and warranty. You don't usually hear from people who get good cards, they are too busy playing. It's the people who get bad cards who are more likely to write about it on forums. Negative word of mouth in general spreads farther and faster than positive word of mouth. It's just human nature.

Nvidia grosses a billion dollars a quarter on gamings sales. That's a lot of cards, so that's potentially 10,000's of people if not more getting bad cards and having to return them. There's no way for Intel, AMD, and Nvidia to produce as much as they do without having some defects.

Nvidia grosses a billion dollars a quarter on gamings sales.

Or mining...:music_whistling:

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

The only people still mining Ethereum with Nvidia GPUs for profit are subsidized or stealing electricity. I live in a cold climate and electricity is about .12 cents a Kwh and it's not profitable for me anymore. I sold off all my 1070s I was mining with. When I lived in Germany cost of electricity was over double that and I seriously doubt it's gotten any cheaper since.

Nvidia actually took a real big hit in "gaming" sales at the end of last year when Ethereum tanked. There was no real way to for industry analysts to know how much of Nvidia's "gaming" sales were from mining. Now we know, roughly 30%. In retrospect, just buying and holding AMD, Intel, and Nvidia stock was a much better investment. Kind of like the people who got rich selling picks and shovels to miners during the Gold Rushes of the American West.

Bitcoin is mined with ASICs, it's not efficient or profitable with PCs and all those other alt-coins are mostly just scams.

Sn8ke_iis,

I can assure you it got even more expensive over here since you left.

Due to the nationwide change to renewable energy we pay an extra on top of our already extraordinary high kW price. Many people here struggle with paying their electricity bills.

My household, ALL LED, pays about 160€/month, which is way way too much. The price for 1 kWh is 0,30 € incl. all taxes and that EEG extra obulus :(

Back in the days I had 2 waterbeds, 1 Server, NO LED, and I payed about the same with 2.5x-3x the consumption. If we hadn't changed our habits I'd be paying ~500€ a month for that.

BTW, Germany got the highest kWh price in whole Europe and it is only going one way, UP.

Time to get the candle out and employ a few Hamsters + Wheel :)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Ouch!

Even when I was there we heard stories about GI's living on the economy and keeping their normal American electricity/heating/cooling habits. When they got their monthly bill their jaws hit the floor and thought it was some kind of mistake. It wasn't.

I really need to keep that in mind and be more diplomatic when I'm giving you guys a hard time for not upgrading. I'd be reluctant to upgrade too if I had to pay that much for energy for a whole family. In the States we can get a tax credit for solar panels and if they are wired to the grid you can sell any surplus back to the power company and your meter will go down in kW-hr.

Due to the nationwide change to renewable energy we pay an extra on top of our already extraordinary high kW price. Many people here struggle with paying their electricity bills.

OT, but isn't a big part of the problem the decision to immediately ditch all of the nuclear power plants after that disaster in Japan (which seems a foolish thing to do without a proper alternative at hand, IMHO)?

As those have been replaced by gas and coal plants (IIRC), which doesn't sound very green and renewable, I'm probably missing proper info or the big picture here since taken like this, it altogether sounds like a bad joke.

So, I'm hoping you can correct my misconceptions on the topic with some first-hand info.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Germany, or our politicians, decided to opt out oh Nuclear Power Plants way over a decade ago, long before Fukushima happened, then, as the balance shifted after elections, the tried to opt out of the opt out ( sounds like a joke ), meaning that they prolonged the time until they would be shutdown, I dont recall the exact years for either plan, then..politics changed dramatically after Fuku again and suddenly they all agreed to opt out of the opt out of the opt out. LoL.

We have a larger plan going on here, building a better power grid to distribute the renewable energy from roofs, wind mills and other sources better througout the nation and Europe.

That costs a lot of money and since businesses ( heavy industry ) are LEFT OUT in this finance plan, the end user, us, pays the bill, Its called the EEG Shifting.

We have a few nukes left, actually the world's most powerful NPP is in Bavaria as I got told in a tech video from a famous Physicist but ultimately, we will shut them all down.

The battle goes on, Cole Plants are still alive and will have to be kept alive for buffers if there is no wind during night times etc.. It aint easy but most citizens agree with the plan, despite many struggle with the kWh price, no wonder.

If it makes sense to opt out of nuke power while France and Belgium have their oldest NPP#s next to our border, time will tell.

I do know that the chances for a WCS is 1 in 25.000 years. Not much

BUT...do the math. There are over one thousand of those world wide, that is a fact, so devide 25.000 by 1000 and you get down to 1 incident every 25 years, round about the time between Tchernobyl and Fukushima...the clock ticks down again.

We are such a densely populated country, as most european countries, that we would need to evacuate millions of people if one blew up.

It's a complicated matter, we all wanna go back to nature, but most dont wanna go by pedes but in a nice car, E-car. That will again shift energy usage towards electricity, away from fossile sources. Very very complicated. If they would sell enough E-cars this whole plan goes up in smoke I goes.

Edited by BitMaster

It's a hard one alright, we also pay through the nose for power here. We have government rebates for home business solar panels and plenty of sun. At work we have 200 panel 6kW solar power system.

Even Bill Gates was looking at a new type of NPP (Wave Reactor)

https://terrapower.com/

http://www.german-times.com/bill-gates-is-wrong-nuclear-power-will-not-save-the-climate-beyond-chernobyl-and-fukushima-theres-too-much-speaking-against-it/

We are also 30 years or so off a fusion reactor.

and yes we do have a nuclear physics here playing DCS, Fly MP with him from time to time lol.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/arielcohen/2019/01/14/is-fusion-power-within-our-grasp/#3258d51c9bb4

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

You mean 2070 FE? There isn't any evidence to actually support that, scroll up in the thread and you will see. I've had 2 2080 Ti's since they first came out. No issues.

If this was in response to me, no i did mean 1070fe. Mine died in the first 3 months, im on my second one now. If you Google 1070 feartifacts, youll see plenty of people with failed boards

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

If this was in response to me, no i did mean 1070fe. Mine died in the first 3 months, im on my second one now. If you Google 1070 feartifacts, youll see plenty of people with failed boards

1070's aren't RTX they are GTX. RTX is Nvidia's abbreviation referring to real time ray tracing. All the nomenclature for the boards can be confusing. I can barely keep track of it myself. I did have to return a 1080 that I fried playing the Witcher 3 in 4K. Per the data I posted earlier the original 1000 series did have a pretty high defect rate compared to the 2000 series. But just relying on forum posts brings us back to the original problem. It's not an accurate survey as people with failed boards are more likely to post about it online.

I have owned 15 Nvidia 1070's and used them for mining. Not one failed. Sold them all on Ebay. No issues with returns. There was 1 that had a flakey driver issue but reinstalling the driver fixed it.

Edit: I found the posts about energy policy in different countries very interesting.

Germany, or our politicians, decided to opt out oh Nuclear Power Plants way over a decade ago, long before Fukushima happened, then, as the balance shifted after elections, the tried to opt out of the opt out ( sounds like a joke ), meaning that they prolonged the time until they would be shutdown, I dont recall the exact years for either plan, then..politics changed dramatically after Fuku again and suddenly they all agreed to opt out of the opt out of the opt out. LoL.

LOL, same here. Here we are even a lot further. We've opt out of the opt out of the opt out and opt out of that also. And then we've opt out of that one to and now the politicians looking into the option to opt out of the last opt out.

It all began when Europe decided it was time to get some more competition in and privatesed the energy industry (only to bring one time money in to level the government budget). From then on it went all down the drain because politicians now point to the private industry for a solution and they just point back for more tax money.

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

1070's aren't RTX they are GTX. RTX is Nvidia's abbreviation referring to real time ray tracing.

Yea, my bad, i just dug out the box & its a RTX 2070 FE, not a 1070. Still failed after 3 months

System:

Yea, my bad, i just dug out the box & its a RTX 2070 FE, not a 1070. Still failed after 3 months

Are you using the same power supply and motherboard? It's odd that it would spontaneously fail after 3 months and not when you first got it. A bad capacitor will blow after so many charge and discharge cycles. It's usually a bad fan bearing that goes as that's the moving part. Glad to see the replacement is holding up.

Not the power supply, and it certainty wasn't one of the fans. its an unfortunately common failure to these cards.

Nvidia replaced the card and all is good so far, but for how long is anyones guess. Nvidia may have fixed the issue, but im still seeing plenty of posts from people with the same issue as recently as August

System:

Not the power supply, and it certainty wasn't one of the fans. its an unfortunately common failure to these cards.

Nvidia replaced the card and all is good so far, but for how long is anyones guess. Nvidia may have fixed the issue, but im still seeing plenty of posts from people with the same issue as recently as August

What's a common failure to these cards? You said it's not the power supply and not the fans so what's a common failure? It's not common at all, it's just bad luck. It's usually user error or bad QA. I've lost count of all the people I've seen in overclock forums who start playing around with the voltages and fry their cards.

What's a common failure to these cards? You said it's not the power supply and not the fans so what's a common failure? It's not common at all, it's just bad luck. It's usually user error or bad QA. I've lost count of all the people I've seen in overclock forums who start playing around with the voltages and fry their cards.

MLpA.gif

Edited by Demon_

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

Hello all, what is this PSU?

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

New card arrived, has been fitted and working. I've set up a really aggressive fan curve instead of relying on the stock GPU tweak 2 one. It is running fans at 100% over 50c.

Currently the temp within DCS on the mission which first started to overtax the old card is holding steady at 54c, whereas the original card ran at 74c.

I've tuned it using the ASUS GPU tweak 2 automatic overclock scanner, but other than that I am not going to mess will th it, although from what I gathered from YouTube tests by Jay2Cents and Steve from Gamers Nexus, the supplied tuners will not let you do anything to harm the card supposedly with hard limits on voltage ect.

We will see how this one does. I hope I got one with the newer Samsung memory and not one with the original and problematic Micron VRAM.

My poor, abused old GTX 980TI ran for over two years at a really overclocked to the knife edge of instability using a cheapo Corsair CX750 psu without problems and from the same wall socket.....

It is not a power issue, just bad memory chips in the original batch. I am not the luckiest guy when it comes to gambling and I guess I just keep failing to win the silicon lottery this time around.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.