32GB RAM Recommended

Horns

I noticed the recommended system requirements for "high" graphics settings specifies 32GB for heavy missions. I have three questions:

1. Is that sensitive to any particular levels of resolution (eg 1440p or above) or anti-aliasing

(eg MSAA 2x+)?

2. What qualifies a mission as 'heavy'?

3. Is this spec for single player as well as multiplayer?

Thanks

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

A heavy mission is a mission with a lot of units, triggers and scripts. In general SP should run better then MP, for the obvious reason that there are not a whole lot of other clients to render in SP.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

My impression is RAM will take a hit if there are a lot of objects/units to render and the CPU will take a hit if many of those units actually do something (waypoints, engaging targets, etc)

At least that's what I noticed when creating a "Operation Desert Storm" like scenario involving around 200 tanks racing towards each other and engaging.

At first, for screenshots purpose, I didn't gave them waypoints. The FPS took a nose dive but it was still OK. Once I gave each group waypoints the FPS went to single digit and it got even worse when they started engaging each other

ODuxGvI.png

Edited by Eight Ball

I went from 16gb of ram @3000mhz to 32gb @3000mhz which made absolutely no difference. Still the same stutters as before.

RIG SPECS:

-Win 10 professional

-i5 8600k @5.0GHz

-ASUS Maximus X Code

-Samsung 960 Evo 256GB M2 SSD

-Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M2 SSD

-32GB DDR4 RAM @3000MHz

-Asus Strix 1080 Ti 11G

-LG 34UM68-P Monitor

Notebook:

-Win10

- 2018 ASUS ROG GL703gs-E5011T

(i7-8570H, 16GB DDR4, 256GB M2 SSD,GTX1070 8GB.

My impression is RAM will take a hit if there are a lot of objects/units to render and the CPU will take a hit if many of those units actually do something (waypoints, engaging targets, etc)

This.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

I find ground based vehicles really slow things down when they are moving more than anything else.

I have suspended using those in missions for now.

I found 32 Gig very beneficial when I upgraded over a year ago. DDR3

My specs are old enough by today's standards but I notice no stutters generally.

Someday when My DDR5 equipped 48 Core CPU 4080Ti.

No wait. That is just a recurring dream.

This is the best I can do and still bounce off the 60 vsync with no stutters in th epic attached.

settings.thumb.jpg.3cc30e987aff14da22b6548e4c8aa014.jpg

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

GPU 960m is my bottleneck, been told upgrade 16 to 3GB RAM wouldn’t help me much, but if it’s only for high object. Oust missions and I can get it for a nice price that would work

I also had a gtx 960 before and changed to a gtx 1060. It made a great differens. But I also only have 16 gb ram. It Works great when it is not so much going around in the mission, but with heavy missions it can feese up to 15 seconds suddently and then continue. Very irritation when the plane crash in the meantime. I Guess more ram would help some but also depending on the CPU. Mine is a i7 3770 so it is not the best...

I think the nr.1 important is to have as few programs as posible running in the background. At least it is for me.

Edited by Havremonster

I actually find multiplayer handles large missions much better than SP. The reason being, the multiplayer server handles all of the AI movement and calculations, so all the client PC has to do is render them.

I converted my old gaming PC (with an AMD FX8350) into a dedicated server. The mission that I run on the server has an F10 menu option to spawn a massive tank battle with hundreds of units on both sides, including attack helos, tanks, APCs, JTACs, etc. The player can then jump into this battle with any of the units available (though it lends best to A10, Harrier, Gazelle and eventually Hornet).

When I built and tested this mission on my gaming PC (specs below), as soon as I spawned the battle, DCS went into single digit FPS, despite 32GB or RAM (I think it was CPU limited). However, running it on the server, with less RAM and a weaker CPU, it actually has minimal impact on the FPS of client PCs. Even the server runs at decent FPS during this, as the load for calculating client physics and the like is on the client PC.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Should be pretty easy to check how much system ram you are using & if you need more.

This, you can easily check your system memory as you play and see how much RAM the game is using during a given mission, I personally play with 8GB of RAM with all settings maxed out and haven't had any significant issues. Most issues I have I blame on my relatively weak CPU (i5-6400t @ 2.2GHz)

This, you can easily check your system memory as you play and see how much RAM the game is using during a given mission, I personally play with 8GB of RAM with all settings maxed out and haven't had any significant issues. Most issues I have I blame on my relatively weak CPU (i5-6400t @ 2.2GHz)

Where is the catch ?

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Ok, here's one: I have 16GB of system RAM, and another 8GB on the card (GTX 1070).

DCS only uses about 10GB max system memory, but 20GB pagefile. The bloody sim crashes if there's no pagefile, but doesn't use anywhere near all my system RAM!

So, dub tee eff is going on?!

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

I have 16 GB, but usually only 14 GB are used at max. My biggest performance drain has been my HDD, so I should migrate my game files to a SDD.

You'll be glad you did , especially if you move the pagefile to SSD as well .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Ok, here's one: I have 16GB of system RAM, and another 8GB on the card (GTX 1070).

DCS only uses about 10GB max system memory, but 20GB pagefile. The bloody sim crashes if there's no pagefile, but doesn't use anywhere near all my system RAM!

So, dub tee eff is going on?!

AD

I'd like to learn the answer to that question as well !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Thanks to everyone for their comments and apologies for not getting back, I had thought I'd replied to this thread but I must not have. Maybe this is a down side to posting from my phone when I'm half asleep.

Edited by Horns
Clarified meaning

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

I frequently see DCS utilizing more over 20GB of RAM. If you play in decent sized multiplayer groups 32GB is almost a must(I saw a huge leap in performance when I went to 32). I currently run 64GB and don't regret that at all.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

Its easy to answer your own question. Set up a Sp map, take off and monitor RAM and VRam usage. Then add loads of Ai units and fly the same task, again monitor RAM and VRam usage. You will have your answer.

AMD 3800x, Asrock 570X Taichi, 32GB Corsair Platinum, MSI 1080Ti, Corsair MP600 Gen 4 1TB NVMe. Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe, Samsung 860 1TB SSD, Custom Watercooling, AOC 32" 4K Screen.

Going to 32 was a big improvement for me in multiplayer. I fly with Greek, so same scenario. Actually I think his going on about it forever was what made me take the leap :)

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet