How does the future of DCS WW2 look if Matt Wagner is rights about a global map? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-17-2018, 05:03 PM   #21
jarhead2b

People who keep moaning about 8 hr flights aernt thinking about this in the right context. Think something like Xplane which has global scenery with orthoxp photo terrain and buildings overtop would be great. Each mission builder now has the flexibility to create missions now ANYWHERE globally. Your squadron server could build training missions at a home station, as an example Elmendorf afb in Alaska. Squad nites on your server blasting around Mt Mckinely. Then you jump on say a 104th server who has built thier mission covering the Taiwan strait. The possibilities are endless. The only thing that would need to be tweaked would be time period appropriate terrain. Not a dealbreaker for me, but for some yes. For those who really want to, you could concievably create a ramp spawn at say Mcguire afb New Jersey and have a KC135 drag you to the combat zone to your hearts content. The argument of 30 players spread globally really would only apply to terrible mission builders.
jarhead2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:57 PM   #22
SnappShot

A Blue Flag campaign starting in Normandy and continuing all the way to Berlin would be epic.
SnappShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:22 AM   #23
Pikey

This ties into "Community crowd building" vs "Privately licensed and committed business 3rd party development". The two can work together and still keep the paid content model working.

Steps I'd like to see:
- DCS 4 implements a different map tech that enables community driven content.
- Toolsets that work at two different levels;
1. Making the area, the elevations, rivers, trees, roads and rail outside the mission with a licensed tool.

2. Being able to add more inside the Mission editor. Drag and drop airfields from templates. Drag and drop town templates etc. Forest paint brushes, renaming places on the F10 map and a 3D editor.

You can give 5 people tools and we get maps every few years, or it can start to move now to global canvas and let the community get involved and give people the world. This doesn't mean the marketing model will change, in fact, it broadens the appeal as companies can still make "South East England", "Downtown Hanoi" or "Wartime Berlin" and sell it with permission should it meet requirements.

Right now the current engine is a victim of stifled growth in it's design. It's effectively closed unless one is serious enough to want to make it a business (and frankly I'll not be giving up my day job, like many others)

But all this is not something that could be very easily migrated to and I guess I'll pass my 50th birthday before it could be there.
Pikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:55 PM   #24
xvii-Dietrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
- DCS 4 implements a different map tech that enables community driven content.
- Toolsets that work at two different levels;
1. Making the area, the elevations, rivers, trees, roads and rail outside the mission with a licensed tool.
2. Being able to add more inside the Mission editor. Drag and drop airfields from templates. Drag and drop town templates etc. Forest paint brushes, renaming places on the F10 map and a 3D editor.
These are really good ideas.

The ability to better utilise existing maps would be pretty neat. For example, we are considering using part of the Caucasus map to represent the Gothic Line (ref). Being able to add WW2-style airfields and the occasional village would make it pretty convincing, even without wholesale reworking. And the ability to rename towns on the map would really help with the immersion.

The same thing goes for empty corners of other maps. For example, I could imagine forming WW2 North Africa scenarios using empty stretches Persian map, if we could place simple airfields templates.
xvii-Dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:41 PM   #25
SnappShot

They key with player modded terrain will be accessibility to the greater dcs community. Whether this would be a third party building a ww2 globe or enthusiasts building them as a labor of love, they must be made available to the broader dcs userbase. The last thing this very small community needs is map makers witholding them and fracturing an almost dead ww2 dcs community. Things to also factor in, would they be considered mods? and if so marketing it as such, getting the playerbase on the same playbook so you dont get an error when joining saying your not compatible. Communication is paramount if its not official map content.Another thing to ponder, is the juice worth the squeeze for dcs ww2?

Last edited by SnappShot; 04-19-2018 at 11:43 PM.
SnappShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:10 PM   #26
neofightr

I think it would add immensely to replayability. Being able to setup a mission anywhere in the world outside of extremes like the poles would be grand.

The ED devs could contract the work out as to not affect their in-house module developments.

Civilian flight dev groups have done it using computer generated techniques with terrific detail so it is quite doable.

I am all for it.
neofightr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:21 AM   #27
flyingscotsman

I am in favour, but at $50 or so a section, it’ll be expensive & if it takes as long as Nevada, I won’t be on the planet that long. Still in favour though
flyingscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:51 PM   #28
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
I am in favour, but at $50 or so a section, it’ll be expensive & if it takes as long as Nevada, I won’t be on the planet that long. Still in favour though
It will speed up for sure, there are more maps in development than this time last year, some you guys haven't even heard about yet
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:53 PM   #29
Frederf
Veteran

Quote:
Wags says that a "whole earth round model" is an aspiration for DCS.
There is a big difference between a round-Earth model and a global terrain resource.
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote