Where do you guys get your information from?

Hi all,

For almost a year now in my spare time, I've been working on a design for a modular throttle that is 3D printable. It has three axes for now, friction adjustment, adjustable detents, and the capability to swap out the faceplate, lever lengths (and soon lever type, e.g. rotational or linear motion), types of throttle handles, and hopefully the ability to be turned into a collective (as long as the design isn't compromised). I have modeled the current throttle, propeller, and mixture levers after one of the aircraft in which I have the most time in real life- the Diamond Da-40.

This being a modular design, I'd like to have more options available than just the boring Diamond setup. So I'll ask you guys, where do you get your information for dimensions of components? How about for a B8 stick grip or an F-86 throttle? Do you order the real thing off Ebay and use that to model the controls? Do you use images and estimate dimensions based on known sizes of objects in the image? Do you bug folks at museums to let you look at cockpits? I would very much appreciate it if I could be pointed in the right direction!

Thanks,

.30-06 Springfield

ive spent many hours searching for data, ive owned replicas and spent god knowns how much trying to make things look like the real thing. what i use now is a metal pole mounted to an old microsoft sidewider joystick with a cv boot from a car for stiffness and a motorcycle brake leverl for wheel brakes.

it looks like a pile of junk but when im infront of my big screen tv and im flying close formations the look doesnt matter. the feel however is amazing. if your building it to be modular id focus on making it nice and solid rather then nice and pretty

Information is where you find it. There's rarely a good single source. Generally I've had to assemble bits and pieces from multiple sources.

For the B-8 flight grip (also called an MC-2) check manufacturer sites: Guardian Electric, Otto Engineering, Mason (part of Esterline). They've all made it at one time or other. I've seen catalogs with dimensional drawings (though I can't find them now). Infinity Aerospace makes a slightly smaller version for the sport aviation market. You can buy a new B-8 grip through Aircraft Spruce.

Search through pictures on forums. People post pictures, sometimes with a ruler in the pic.

Ebay can be a source of info as sellers generally post pictures.

Visiting an aircraft museum is not a bad idea. Many have volunteers helping who can be sympathetic to polite requests for help.

I have modeled the current throttle, propeller, and mixture levers after one of the aircraft in which I have the most time in real life- the Diamond Da-40.

This, or use a F-86 or Mig-21 or F-16 throttle as base end in the conclusion: you are making a throttle for a specific aircraft, done to fit the needs of this aircraft in RL, that eventually can be use for another aircraft in flight games but not in ideal way.

If instead a "Da-40 throttle" you transform this in a kind UAV throttle you have a better device for several prop planes in several games, instead fix in a P-51 o BF 109 throttle for example, unless want do a replica cockpit.

UAV_throttle.jpg

click image upload

Or this multi function propeller throttle designed for experimental aircrafts:

Hotas_Prop.jpg

free image hosting

So the question, you want a replica or a multi-functional throttle? If is the first option just select the plane, if the second use the best solution for various planes and mixing then in a non (replica) compromise design result more useful. Something what Saitek do.

Example, Warthog throttle copy very well A-10 throttle and can be used for other DCS modules, but lack for some.

But, take the same design, add the rotary on left throttle grip for radar elevation like in F-15, F/A-18 throttles, add before the "LAST" panel other panel with the same dimensions with 3 rotary for aileron, elevator and rudder trim like in F-16 consoles and you now dont have a more "replica" throttle, but a multi-functional throttle that will suit better for various modules and sill looks like "real thing".

B-8 grip is nice design, but limited in functions to be useful for others that a F-86 or UH1 cockpit builders.

The old Mason PDF with some "military" grips designs, some real, some not, from where you can take ideas.

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/4514d9c0b6b9af1df2c5b50d666dcd0320160525215035/8def27c27e100b4542a73c77acb75ad820160525215035/82fa60

Edited by Sokol1_br

Information is where you find it. There's rarely a good single source. Generally I've had to assemble bits and pieces from multiple sources.

For the B-8 flight grip (also called an MC-2) check manufacturer sites: Guardian Electric, Otto Engineering, Mason (part of Esterline). They've all made it at one time or other. I've seen catalogs with dimensional drawings (though I can't find them now). Infinity Aerospace makes a slightly smaller version for the sport aviation market. You can buy a new B-8 grip through Aircraft Spruce.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely do some research. I wasn't aware that B-8 manufacture was so widespread. I presented the B-8 more as an example just to give people something to point me to, but now you've piqued my interest.

This, or use a F-86 or Mig-21 or F-16 throttle as base end in the conclusion: you are making a throttle for a specific aircraft, done to fit the needs of this aircraft in RL, that eventually can be use for another aircraft in flight games but not in ideal way.

If instead a "Da-40 throttle" you transform this in a kind UAV throttle you have a better device for several prop planes in several games, instead fix in a P-51 o BF 109 throttle for example, unless want do a replica cockpit.

I definitely agree that designing a set of controls for one application and trying to shoehorn other designs in would potentially be problematic, but I wasn't particularly clear on how "modular" this design is, and perhaps "modular" isn't even an appropriate term in this case. "Adaptable" might be a better term. It won't be a matter of me deciding to fly using Da-40 controls one moment, and F-86 controls the next. I have a base set of electronics and mounts designed to be compatible with a myriad of flight controls (they weren't even designed around the Da-40, I just designed those levers first as they are the least difficult to design and I have the aircraft and POH on hand for reference). The flight controls and embellishments I want to use at a particular time are affixed to the base set of electronics and mechanical elements primarily using #8 bolts. I might spend ten-fifteen minutes completing a change from, for example, MiG-21 - F-86. The base electronic and mechanical design is generic and not meant to mimic any one set of flight controls by itself.

I really appreciate the links, detailed response, and interest! I will certainly take a look at UAV controls.

ive spent many hours searching for data, ive owned replicas and spent god knowns how much trying to make things look like the real thing. what i use now is a metal pole mounted to an old microsoft sidewider joystick with a cv boot from a car for stiffness and a motorcycle brake leverl for wheel brakes.

it looks like a pile of junk but when im infront of my big screen tv and im flying close formations the look doesnt matter. the feel however is amazing. if your building it to be modular id focus on making it nice and solid rather then nice and pretty

Inpressive ingenuity! I actually thought of using CV boots for a stick boot, how well does it work?

The idea of building something durable has been the goal from the start. I've incorporated stronger and more flexible PETG plastic in some parts of the design to help with this. I don't believe that the two ideas of form and function are necessarily mutually exclusive. I've spent a great deal of time helping the two coexist, without (I think) compromising the latter.

Thanks for the input!