[UNABLE TO REPRODUCE]DCS Updater crashes my modem

OK, this is a really odd one, but I feel I should report it anyway.

Whenever I run the DCS updater, after connecting to the swarm, my modem typically crashes around a minute after the download starts. If I reboot the modem, the download will start again, and again, typically within a minute, the modem will crash again ad nauseam.

If I connect my mobile phone to my computer and run the update using it as a modem, it will work fine. I've obviously raised a support ticket with Netgear who manufacture the modem, but they've effectively washed their hands of it and claim that it's not their issue.

What makes this even odder is that I also run a dedicated server on my home network, and that computer updates fine without crashing the modem!

The issue has been happening since early September and I never had the issue prior to then and my internet connection and modem work flawlessly other than this.

Edited by Highwayman-Ed

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OK, this is a really odd one, but I feel I should report it anyway.

Whenever I run the DCS updater, after connecting to the swarm, my modem typically crashes around a minute after the download starts. If I reboot the modem, the download will start again, and again, typically within a minute, the modem will crash again ad nauseam.

The issue has been happening since early September and I never had the issue prior to then and my internet connection and modem work flawlessly other than this.

Sounds like a hard one to figure out, how are you determining if the modem is crashing, does it reset itself, go offline and recycle into a self test and re-connection cycle or some other symptoms.

What type of internet connection do you have ADSL / NBN, I have NBN Fibre setup with IPV4 and IPV6 dual stack provided by Internode.

Just two days ago, the DCS updater decided not to work, it would download a small piece of the version checking data and then just hang and download at a very small rate, something that takes seconds normally now takes 5-30 minutes as an estimate.

Solution: Long story short, Deleted all directories and files under the default "Windows temp" directory where the DCS install creates stuff for the updates, re-run the updater and it worked, but downloads very slowly, 2-500kb/sec when normally between 2-5mb/sec.

Regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

It’s certainly damned odd. I’m running an 100/40 NBN (Fibre Optic for non Aussies) connection with TPG and when it goes down the modem hangs and does not restart (All lights but power on the Netgear go out) and the NBN box shows power and no connection to the modem, but an open port to the exchange.

Unfortunately the modem isn’t recording anything useful in its logs whatsoever and Netgear have been particularly useless.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

Can you attach your autoupdate_log.txt just so we can see what DCS is doing at the time.

It is very unusual for sure.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Sure, here you go:

Latest Log

Previous Log

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

Thanks,

the log looks normal to me

00867.404 INFO : Installed 421 files.

00867.434 STATUS: Installing runtimes...

00868.818 STATUS: Cleaning up...

00868.819 STATUS: Cleaning up...

00869.316 STATUS: Successfully updated to 2.5.5.38140

00877.118 STATUS: Shutting the torrents down...

00877.119 INFO : Kill timer set to 30 seconds...

00877.158 INFO : Torrents have been shutdown in time.

00877.158 INFO : Kill timer reset.

00877.161 === Log closed.

I will ask the team.

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Other than the timeouts in the middle where the connection went down, everything looks good to me too. It's very odd for sure, and not something that I can't work around, but it's a guaranteed modem crash every time it runs....

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

I spoke with the team, we have no known case of this happening, and not sure why it would happen.

it is a bit of a mystery.

I'm planning on doing a fresh Windows install in a few weeks, so it's no big deal for me, but if you'd like any testing done before then, I'm always happy to help.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm planning on doing a fresh Windows install in a few weeks, so it's no big deal for me, but if you'd like any testing done before then, I'm always happy to help.
Just an idea, in Germany/Europe internet providers sell "branded" modems with their line. These are often locked and can only be configured by the provider. You do have full access to configuration and settings? If not, does your contract say anything about (peer-to-peer or "filesharing")? Maybe your provider decided to act against "filesharing" and their filters mistakes DCS peer-to-peer for a Filesharing tool, as basically it is the same technology.

You can ask them, to clarify any issuesvon their side/hardware, as well.

Is it sure related to peer-to-peer download? What happens, if you cancel the peer-to-peer download and switch to HTTP?

Another way to rule out a hardware/modem related issue would be a buddy's or neighbor's modem, if you can get a compatible one.

Just listing ideas for troubleshooting, hope it helps to narrow down the root cause.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Hey Shagrat, thanks for the idea, but the second machine on my network (a dedicated server) updates perfectly without causing any issues to the modem, so I’ve pretty much ruled that out.

The only difference between the two from the network layer is that my server connects to my modem over wireless, and my games machine via cat 6, so that’s my next test, switch my gaming rig to a wireless connection to the modem for the next update...

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey Shagrat, thanks for the idea, but the second machine on my network (a dedicated server) updates perfectly without causing any issues to the modem, so I’ve pretty much ruled that out.

The only difference between the two from the network layer is that my server connects to my modem over wireless, and my games machine via cat 6, so that’s my next test, switch my gaming rig to a wireless connection to the modem for the next update...

Hmm, ok. A change of the cat6 cable may also be an option... though cat6 should be well shielded, may check you don't run it parallel to electric power (typically extension cords) for longer distances. Distance in general should not be an issue in a home scenario, just nice to know Ethernet cables should not run over distances longer than 100m (about 330ft) in theory. Practically you should omit anything over 80m! 80m includes a safety margin for internal wiring and a patch field. DELETED (refered to old BaseT).

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

If I had experienced ANY other issues with the LAN connection in the house (newly built with CAT 6 to every room 2 years ago), I'd be considering it, but everything else runs flawlessly and I've never had any issues with this connection except this one thing.

All good, I can work around it, and as mentioned in an earlier post, the computer is due for a clean up soon anyhow.

Thanks all for looking into it.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would not sell you a Netgear Router or Modem. Maybe that speaks for itself.

I have only ever had questionable or bad experience with their stuff.

See if they have a different brand router/modem for you.

May I ask why you didn't put in CAT7 cables and matching outlets to be 10Gbit ready ? The extra cost is almost not existing. I did it that way when I moved it this home. The landlord, a pal of mine, asked me to put LAN in every room to be future proof and I really appreciated it.

Tho I dont run any 10Gbit now that will come by itself as time goes by and mobo's and NAS have 10Gbit by default, give it a few years.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I just read post #11, my bad ehhh.

Try another Add-In LAN card or change your driver of the existing one. Seems like your driver or card is faulty.

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Hey BitMaster, thanks for the suggestion, but as mentioned earlier NOTHING else has caused an issue on this computer or this LAN port before, it’s only DCS updater that causes it since September, so I’m not about to ask Gigagbyte to replace the motherboard (onboard LAN) for just one program that causes a problem with the modem.

Anyhow, thanks all for the suggestions. Closing the thread as I’m going to rebuild Windows in a couple of weeks anyhow. If it happens after that, we’ll that would be interesting.

As for why CAT 6 and not 7, easy, the builder of the house didn’t have it as an option. It was CAT 6 or nothing.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]