FLIR Screen totally black-white after bomb explode

Solo_Turk

Watched your track a few times, and had no issue here, can you confirm you are not running any mods or anything, maybe supply your log files and dxdiag file?

i had some modes but i deleted and tried again it is still same. maybe that is some kind of simulation for heat effect on flir screens because screen turning normal after 15-20 seconds from bomb explotion. i can record a video on youtube and share link if you need.

Watched your track a few times, and had no issue here, can you confirm you are not running any mods or anything, maybe supply your log files and dxdiag file?

I see the same, after the GBU-10 hits the BTR-80 the FLIR contrast saturates.

5xW4Mvc.jpg

Switching to CCD the picture looks normal

MoBzI4t.jpg

Quitting DCS and reloading the same track - the FLIR plays back correctly ???

OHtrohH.jpg

I've seen similar behaviour using the A-10C TGP at night, where units on the battlefield effectively become invisible and then after a while, suddenly FLIR starts to work again.

IIRC restarting my computer, resets the bug, so the FLIR once again bugs out the first time it's used.

Note: this is the first time I've seen a FLIR replay playback flawlessly, but I don't usually replay the same track time after time.

Tested DCS Open Beta 2.5.5.38410, GTX 1050 Ti Geforce Driver 436.48

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

yeah, please send a video if one of you can and I can try again, I don't see that at all on my end.

Here are 2 video's of Solo_Turk's track file replayed on my PC.

Good FLIR

This is the 'Good' FLIR replay, it's the 3rd replay since the PC was booted and the FXO and metashaders2 folders have been cleaned.

The GBU-10 drop is at 2:00

Bad FLIR

This is the 'Bad/saturated' FLIR replay, the PC was rebooted after the 'Good' FLIR replay, this is the 1st track replay since the reboot.

The GBU-10 drop is at 2:00

AFAIK the FLIR saturation bug effects the F/A-18C, A-10C and AV-8B and is likely a general DCS rendering issue.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

SO those that used the chimney smoke density fix, are you running the latest vid card drivers? No other mods like reshade running?
The only solution that worked for me was chimney smoke to 0 + deleting fxo and metashaders2 in Saved Games.

No issues since I discovered it (June). 2080 Ti. This has worked across many different drivers (from June until now).

I would say that the "bug" is probably a WIP version of the upcoming FLIR renderer that needs fine tuning, but I don't know for sure, of course.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Hi everyone,

Acutally the only solution to fix this issue ist to set the chemey smoke to 0.

@NineLine: there is already 3 subject about this issue (in A10C / Hornet / F14 sub-forums) since months, and I write you an MP about this (when I saw there was no reaction on the 3 threads, but you never respond me).

since time it will be good to fix it one day :music_whistling: thanks !

Have a nice day all :pilotfly:

I confirm, if there is chimney smoke on the map, FLIR on all modules becomes FUBAR and only shaders reset fixes it.

But if there are no chimneys in FLIR view, like on a PG map or in certain parts of the Crimea, then it works fine.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

• 1 month later...

I have this as well, where using the FLIR to detect armour amongst the trees, then once bomb blast it goes all dark and requires switching to TV to see anything.

I would think though that this isn't a bug? I don't know how the RL FLIR works but if you take any optical lens (including our eyes) make it dark and then blast it with a bright light it over saturates... even NVG's. Generally they return to normal and/or adjust to the new light level. Which when using FLIR around burning hulks you can't see anything then slew to the side of the flame and you can see again. This might just be 'normal'.

I have this as well, where using the FLIR to detect armour amongst the trees, then once bomb blast it goes all dark and requires switching to TV to see anything.

I would think though that this isn't a bug? I don't know how the RL FLIR works but if you take any optical lens (including our eyes) make it dark and then blast it with a bright light it over saturates... even NVG's. Generally they return to normal and/or adjust to the new light level. Which when using FLIR around burning hulks you can't see anything then slew to the side of the flame and you can see again. This might just be 'normal'.

It'd be normal for the image to get saturated for maybe half a second. Right now, the smoke looks like it's a huge and constant heat source, while this is not the case IRL. The sharp temperature difference between the momentary explosion and the surrounding environment is enough to saturate the sensor before it can adjust, but the subsequent smoke or fire is definitely not hot enough to do that.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

SO those that used the chimney smoke density fix, are you running the latest vid card drivers? No other mods like reshade running?

Hi everyone,

Seriously ED?... since months (before summer 2019), there's several threads about this bug (in Hornet, A10C, Harrier and Tomcat sections) without reaction from ED team… I wrote an MP to Ninieline about this and I never had a response… then I wrote to user support and I have this response: Know issue but no time to fix it.

Few weeks ago a new thread was opened (in Hornet or A10C section not sure, and no time to search im in job now :music_whistling:), and in these thread we come to the conclusion that the only way to fix it actually, is to set the chimney smoke to 0).

And yes with latest drivers installed (and since month there was a lot of latest drivers version :music_whistling:)

So there's definitively a bug with IR image rendering with chimney smoke other than 0.

and since time it will be good to be fixed… thanks.

I reckon it will get fixed with new FLIR rendering ED is working on. In my opinion there's no point in fixing bug in something that will get replaced anyway...

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

The new FLIR rendering in 2022? 25? we don't know when the new rendering will come, and we will wait until that with this issue, issue that was gamebreaking (unable to target something when you have the "blank" screen in your tgp)… the truth is if the community hasn't find the "solution" with the chimney smoke, we'll be unable to use tgp for 4 modules.. and we have no info from ED about this issue.. no response, no indication, nothing, nada…

very normal sure :mad:

• Thanks 1

The RDN is absolutly right ! It's a total game breaking bug and without the work done by the community 4 of our modules would be completly useless ... or so. I know that it's sometimes hard to find the cause of a bug, but in this case the community has already done part, no... almost all the job, and still no answer or solution communicated by ED... I feel like they just laughing on my face....

• ED Team

Hey guys, sorry I haven't had much to report on this, I am now seeing the blobby smoke, but not the full issue that some of you are, FLIR is currently being worked on, in fact on the internal version the OP track looks different when the explosion happens. So fixes and improvements are coming, if you can work around, for now, it might be for the best. Thanks!

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png