VR IMPROVEMENTS

javipamp

Great news!! It seems that next week we'll have the long-awaited vr improvement. It was odd to me that it didn't include "Las Vegas" scenery. Why will the other sceneries have that improvement and not "Las Vegas"?

I'm really waiting for these vr improvements to decide investing more money in this simulator.

Thanks ED for pushing VR, the real future of simulation. Looking forward hearing about vulkan.

Pimax 5k, 2080ti

I was wondering if these improvements are limited to VR and specific maps, or they are more generic and relevant to the core sim engine. It's been 30 years and so much has been changed, CPU technology grows horizontally (number of cores) rather than vertically (CPU speed), multiple GPUs, VR has been added (which is a big game changer), and so on.

Let's fly together for the sake of peace :)

It does include it. Only Normandy map not. Las Vegas is the Nttr map.
I think it is referring to the fact that next patch will include improvements only for Caucasus and Persian Gulf...

You just need to wait some more time ..they stated

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

It's been 30 years and so much has been changed, CPU technology grows horizontally (number of cores) rather than vertically (CPU speed

it’s difficult to offload work and keep the latency down so that we get smooth fluid behavior.

i can’t think of any sims that don’t rely on fast single core performance.

parallelism works great for batch type jobs, but not interactive jobs like games and sims

I was wondering if they just can't add some VR shaders specific for VR that could improve performance, isn't that what kegetys did? Adjusted shaders used not only by the terrains?

Just adjust shaders that aren't really needed in VR, most importantly in VR is clear cockpit, be able to put MSAA or something similar on to remove jagged lines, spotting and a steady minimum 45FPS.

I fly with medium/low graphics now on a 1080, and still get a drop when i strafe some parked aircraft on the ramp..

I think it is referring to the fact that next patch will include improvements only for Caucasus and Persian Gulf...

You just need to wait some more time ..they stated

Hope so! I love the normandy map, and more than any other it needs so help performance wise!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Hope so! I love the normandy map, and more than any other it needs so help performance wise!

NTTR and Normandy are different issues. With Nevada, ED just needed more time to implement as they focused on Caucuses and Persian gulf.

For Normandy, Ugra will have to implement it because it's not an ED product.

Before everyone bashes ED, remember, the *ENTIRE* WWII was an independent Kickstarter that was abandoned, which left backers like myself in a lurch. That's the risk of KS and I knew that going in. I chalked it up to an L.

But ED decided to pick it up, and I guess, asked Ugra Media for help. I know they are working on the Syrian map, but here's to hoping they fix Normandy.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

but not interactive jobs like games and sims

I'm sorry but that simply isn't true anymore, and is old fashioned thinking. Modern games, including sims, have a ton of work that can be offloaded and parallelized onto multiple cores. The stickler is its something that is best done from the ground up. It is a lot harder to take an existing system like the core of DCS and update it to be efficient in a multi-core workload.

Bona-fides: I work as a software developer in real time applications (but not games) using game engines, so I like to think I know at least a tiny bit about the subject :)

Intel i7-4770k @ 4.4ghz, 32gb ram, GTX 1080ti, Oculus Rift S

Advanced apologies if my post contains typos or missing letters. Many of my posts are typed on a laptop with an old keyboard that has a personality all its own.

I'm sorry but that simply isn't true anymore, and is old fashioned thinking. Modern games, including sims, have a ton of work that can be offloaded and parallelized onto multiple cores. The stickler is its something that is best done from the ground up. It is a lot harder to take an existing system like the core of DCS and update it to be efficient in a multi-core workload.

Bona-fides: I work as a software developer in real time applications (but not games) using game engines, so I like to think I know at least a tiny bit about the subject :)

Then you don't know enough about multi processor programming and that's true for the majority of programmers nowadays. The real programmers are creating APIs for this purpose.. check out Vulkan API for example, as it will be implemented by ED, in the "near" future.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

AI routing, detection and movement CAN be offloaded.

There's way too much word play with this topic, just because ED said the gains were minimal when they tried it.

There's a very well known, high CPU application sim that does this very thing in order to handle AI CPU running on the same threads that have to push the engine.

You can see the results of offloading by runnning a DS locally and connecting to it locally. Oh look, you offloaded all the AI, detection calcs onto another CPU in exchange for some network CPU. Smoother where spike processing may have cause stutters before.

Folks need to stop it with the mantras.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

so maybe we just need to reword the constraint.

yes, it’s “possible but not worth the time, money or effort required” to sell a game.

It has to be taken on a case by case by developer basis...

I'm sure re-working the game engine to support MT the way it needs to be done would be time consuming etc...

But only ED can make the decision whether it's worth it. They decided that map functionality is more important this go around with 2.2/5 and I can't say as I disagree with them completely... Even though ED eats my whole CPU :).

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

did they just knock the VR improvements back 2 weeks today with the announement Wags made?

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

did they just knock the VR improvements back 2 weeks today with the announement Wags made?

No

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Yeah but I keep hearing some backwater rumors saying that theres more to it than just the JSOW being put on the back burner. Im just hoping this isnt all true. They postponed the OB update last week and now they are postponing the JSOW this week. Seems legit they would postpone the full OB update until the 12th.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3934790&postcount=18

Although I am not 100% sure on 2.5.5 right now, this is not going to delay the patch should it be ready. Was that vague and non-commiteal enough? lol...

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

What's he doing, going to law school on the side now too?! Always love the non committal, committal... ;):):D

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control