Syrian Map Discussion

ghashpl

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the bad experiences with the Normandy map, I will hold back at Ugra until further notice. In my opinion, it is not the normal course of action to sell a product, then develop a new one, and then return to the first to refine it as it ought to have been published right away. I'm not even sure they will ever refine it...

Overall, I think ED would do well to focus on fewer modules, bring them to a good level of development and keep them on a high level.

What do more and more modules bring us, if less and less ar complete or in EA stage? At some point, the developers work on so many construction sites that nothing gets really finished. This can only affect the quality of the modules and is not exatly how I wish it should be.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

this is gonna be the best map ever created for DCS imho.

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Finally, this isn’t a thread just for me to have a moan.

This is “our” opportunity to explain politely to ED and Urga how we feel about the subject.

I fully support the main point of this voice. Only thing I would nitpick about is that developers should update and support their products with whatever technology they deem the best.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

I also concur with the OP, I will not be purchasing based on my experience with the Normandy map, and will await statements from the developers on their plans and commitments before paying for any further products from them.

I’ve purchased the first module from every developer to throw my support into the platform as a show of good faith, but the second has to be earned...

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nowadays, with the poor quality of everything around, if a company does not care about the satisfaction of its customers while also giving support on their products, it immediately loses customer loyalty and, in fact, profits fall.

It would be enough to listen to us with a more attentive ear and with the true will to improve, always. Kaizen.

A little more communication would not hurt.

Normandy was unplayable in VR for quite some time after it was released. It got better, but it's the least used map on my system as a result.

And I too have every DLC and planes except for MiGs. But until I see some reviews of the Syria map in VR, I'll stay away. I can't use DCS w/o VR now and if it's anything like Normandy, I'll pass. Let's hope they can incorporate the changes that ED made to int Normandy and Syria maps.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

- The upcoming 50% VR enhancement sounds like it might not happen

That's a concern of mine as well - but where did you read that it "might not happen"? Curious if there was some communication...

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

That's a concern of mine as well - but where did you read that it "might not happen"? Curious if there was some communication...

That is the issue no communication on it either way. We the customer can just go off ugra past endeavors with dcs world and that’s Normandy. I hope this is a thing listed on the store page whenever this map is in the pre sale phase....

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

I will be getting it. What I won't do though, is that I won't let Normandy map influence my decision, instead, I will wait for the product release specifications and price.

From little information given so far, including a brief Viper introduction and Wags comment earlier on, it does look and sound like this map is going to be fantastic.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

My personal jury will remain out until I see some better details. So far it looks really monochromatic and devoid of details beyond white blocks for buildings.

Granted that it’s still WIP.

It looked to me like Incirlik AB isn’t modeled correctly. Especially the Golf, Hotel and India loops

I will get it because it covers some part of Turkiye

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I too won't be buying it after my experience with the Normandy map. Not because I am worried about the performance or quality at release or that it's another desert, I think that next to the Balkans, it is one of the most desirable and interesting theatres, but because I am uncomfortable with the ongoing support after release.

When I bought the Normandy map, I thought I was buying an ED product. There was no indication in the web store description or early access literature that indicated that it was a third party product, that was revised later. In fact it was not until the Caucasus got Speedtrees that we learned the name of the third party.

At that time, posts on the forum from ED representatives seemed to indicate that Ugra media had discharged their contractual obligations and had moved on to another project. The indication was that they might come back to Normandy to fix bugs when Syria was released. The discussion about implementation of Speedtrees and now the VR improvements along with the complete silence of the developer would lead a reasonable person to believe that future updates as new technology is rolled out in the core DCS engine is unlikely from the developer and not forthcoming from ED as they do not see it as their responsibility. This gives me pause.

Of course, since the VEAO Affair, perhaps contractual obligations have evolved to cover support and maybe profit sharing has changed etc. But the necessarily opaque nature of these business arrangements do nothing to aliviate the buyers concerns. We do not need to know the nitty gritty details of the contract, but a statement of intent from the developer and a declaration by ED of what a customer can expect in terms of support and who will provide it concerning third parties would go a long way to rebuild trust.

Caveat emptor

I too won't be buying it after my experience with the Normandy map. Not because I am worried about the performance or quality at release or that it's another desert, I think that next to the Balkans, it is one of the most desirable and interesting theatres, but because I am uncomfortable with the ongoing support after release.

When I bought the Normandy map, I thought I was buying an ED product. There was no indication in the web store description or early access literature that indicated that it was a third party product, that was revised later. In fact it was not until the Caucasus got Speedtrees that we learned the name of the third party.

At that time, posts on the forum from ED representatives seemed to indicate that Ugra media had discharged their contractual obligations and had moved on to another project. The indication was that they might come back to Normandy to fix bugs when Syria was released. The discussion about implementation of Speedtrees and now the VR improvements along with the complete silence of the developer would lead a reasonable person to believe that future updates as new technology is rolled out in the core DCS engine is unlikely from the developer and not forthcoming from ED as they do not see it as their responsibility. This gives me pause.

Of course, since the VEAO Affair, perhaps contractual obligations have evolved to cover support and maybe profit sharing has changed etc. But the necessarily opaque nature of these business arrangements do nothing to aliviate the buyers concerns. We do not need to know the nitty gritty details of the contract, but a statement of intent from the developer and a declaration by ED of what a customer can expect in terms of support and who will provide it concerning third parties would go a long way to rebuild trust.

Caveat emptor

I will say, there is a lot of interesting points here. I have pretty blindly supported all ED projects, but after VEAO, and the points made here about this studio.. I will be really looking for good info to make sure we get the support we should.

In the end, I too will choose to vote with my wallet, thanks for your input.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

Already working on a future template :joystick: around 130 active and 120 inactive sam sites, speaking of syria alone. At the end it is intended to include all installations of military interest.

template.thumb.jpg.9b75bbf8b9ec0928570554a9df8996cd.jpg

Edited by SkipperSMG

i5-2400 | 16GB Corsair XMS3 | MSI GTX 970 4GB | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog | Saitek Rudder Pedals | Windows 10 64 bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What really annoys me is the lack of info about the area covered, never seen such a thing on other simulators, where the area covered in the sim/DLC is always the first thing undisclosed. And yes I'm talking about a exact map of the detailed area that we will find once we buy the game.

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

What really annoys me is the lack of info about the area covered, never seen such a thing on other simulators, where the area covered in the sim/DLC is always the first thing undisclosed. And yes I'm talking about a exact map of the detailed area that we will find once we buy the game.

Agreed...I don't know what the big secret is. If things are unfinished, fine...just show the current/planned area of coverage and say "subject to change." The map seems far enough along at this point where they are able to do that.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"