asynchronous reprojection weird problem - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-12-2017, 09:31 AM   #1
Wolf8312

Reputation power: 3
Wolf8312 is on a distinguished road
Default asynchronous reprojection weird problem

In game it seems to be falling below the needed 45-90- fps target, however everything seems to be running OK with very smooth head tracking and general gameplay. Also if I turn off asynchronous reprojection it turns into a judder fest which would seem to suggest its working as it should. Why then am I getting such terrible readings?

It seems to hit 45 but then drop and then rise back to 45 again.

Last edited by Wolf8312; 02-12-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Wolf8312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #2
Cibit
Veteran

Reputation power: 40
Cibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to all

Your settings have to give a minimum of 45 fps otherwise it will not enable ASW AFAIK

Cibit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
Wolf8312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibit View Post
Your settings have to give a minimum of 45 fps otherwise it will not enable ASW AFAIK
I know but it seems to be running fine but if I disable ASW the frame rate goes into a juddering mess.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #4
Wolf8312

The point is it reads as not working but seems to be working, for example the steam VR fps monitor reports no missed frames when AR is on turn it off however and it tanks!
Old 02-13-2017, 02:08 AM   #5
zafgev

Reputation power: 0
zafgev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf8312 View Post
In game it seems to be falling below the needed 45-90- fps target, however everything seems to be running OK with very smooth head tracking and general gameplay. Also if I turn off asynchronous reprojection it turns into a judder fest which would seem to suggest its working as it should. Why then am I getting such terrible readings?

It seems to hit 45 but then drop and then rise back to 45 again.
I've asked a similar question elsewhere. With "asynchronous reprojection" on, I never see more than 40fps in DCS in VR using the DCS frame rate shortcut. However flight is smooth and fluid, no judder or ghosting - as you would expect. Turn it off and its a mess. I have no explanation why I'm not seeing the sorts of framerates others are seeing 45+. But mine seems to work ok even if it is showing no frame loss with DCS reporting lower than 45 fps - so happy for now.

Last edited by zafgev; 02-13-2017 at 02:10 AM.
zafgev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:14 AM   #6
Wolf8312

Yeah the thing is I rememeber back when we didnt have the steam update it was always showing a consistent 45-90 except whent their were bombings when it would go nuts. Glad you chipped in because I think I rememebr seeing you post something similar but wasnt sure if it was just wishful thinking on my part.

Dont think I'm gonna worry myself now lol! I was just worried maybe that even though it seems to be better than its ever been maybe for others it was maybe even better! Best thing to go by right now is the steam VR missed frames counter I think. What graphics card are you on dude? Myself 980 TI
Old 02-13-2017, 10:33 PM   #7
zafgev

Reputation power: 0
zafgev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yeah the thing is I rememeber back when we didnt have the steam update it was always showing a consistent 45-90 except whent their were bombings when it would go nuts. Glad you chipped in because I think I rememebr seeing you post something similar but wasnt sure if it was just wishful thinking on my part.

Dont think I'm gonna worry myself now lol! I was just worried maybe that even though it seems to be better than its ever been maybe for others it was maybe even better! Best thing to go by right now is the steam VR missed frames counter I think. What graphics card are you on dude? Myself 980 TI
I was running a GTX980 before. I upgraded to a 1080 about a month ago. Things are more fluid looking out to the side but I don't see anything in VR above 40fps except in the menus where its capped at 90 - this is in multiplayer where I fly mostly formation and where smooth flying is a must. But like you said I'm not going to worry about it as it runs smooth for me. I think they should disable FPS counters as they drive people to paranoia
zafgev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:57 AM   #8
Wolf8312

Quote:
Originally Posted by zafgev View Post
I was running a GTX980 before. I upgraded to a 1080 about a month ago. Things are more fluid looking out to the side but I don't see anything in VR above 40fps except in the menus where its capped at 90 - this is in multiplayer where I fly mostly formation and where smooth flying is a must. But like you said I'm not going to worry about it as it runs smooth for me. I think they should disable FPS counters as they drive people to paranoia
lol I know what you mean I really don't want to turn into one of those guys who can't sleep at night because is fps isn't where he thinks it should be!
Old 02-14-2017, 05:01 PM   #9
Fab

Reputation power: 2
Fab is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The point is it reads as not working but seems to be working, for example the steam VR fps monitor reports no missed frames when AR is on turn it off however and it tanks!
I realy cant figure out, what he ment by this

VAT The Black Widows
I´m in for a ride, a VR ride
DCS Oculus Rift Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBX_-Hml7_7s1dggit_vGpA?view_as=public

Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:26 PM   #10
Wolf8312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab View Post
I realy cant figure out, what he ment by this
Steam VR has a little green bar which measures your frame rate and lets you know if you are missing frames or not and staying within the required 45-90 fps, if not it will show you by giving 'missed frames' warnings which are represented by red flashing lines. The 1.5 1.5.6 versions of the game however are reporting frame rates of often way below 45 fps even though steam VR is not reporting any missed frame warnings. 2.04 is hitting the target 45-90 both in game and in steam. 1.5 was not and 1.56 is not hitting the required fps though both seem to be doing so based on performance and steam VR readings.

Last edited by Wolf8312; 02-14-2017 at 11:29 PM.