2.0.5 changed LoD? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-05-2017, 03:03 PM   #21
Fakum

Reputation power: 14
Fakum is a jewel in the roughFakum is a jewel in the roughFakum is a jewel in the roughFakum is a jewel in the roughFakum is a jewel in the roughFakum is a jewel in the rough

There are a lot of comments regarding updates that are negative and are certainly valid. I concur with the feedback so far. I also agree that the focus of improvements should be on the core product, I am one that simply does not understand why an update would be released if it performs subpar compared to the previous release? I don't think any of us want degradation in an upgrade, I think we would rather see improvement. Yes, work in progress I get it, so why provide an update that looks worse than before? I would rather wait for an update with improvements longer than one in short time that does not improve on the previous version,,, just my 2 cents.
Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 MOBO / Intel i5 2500K 3.3GHz (Overclocked to 4.8 GHz) / G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB XMP Ram / Sandisk 480GB SATA III SSD / EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid/ Onboard Realtek High Definition Audio card / Creative Inspire 5.1 Surround Speakers/ Primary Monitor =30” HP LP3065 @ 2560 x 1600 / Secondary Monitor = Acer 23" Touch Screen for Helios / TrackIR4 / Cougar HOTAS w/Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals

Fakum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:41 PM   #22
watermanpc

Reputation power: 12
watermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by alieneye View Post
I agree with OP, also noticed a weird way of how the buildings appear now. The are scaling up!

WOW!, thanks for the video, really weird what buildings are doing ...I understand this is a WIP, dont know how many times I have to tell this but, WHY release this???? ...now we have to play next 3/6/9/etc. months like that?? or even worse, forever?? ...I think we should ALWAYS get things BETTER not worse, no matter how much they "change" things... thats all I can say.
-ULTRA Weathered F-5 skin here
-Increased Heat Blur distance and quality here
watermanpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:48 PM   #23
razo+r
Veteran

razo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nice

well, you don't have to play with that version, i mean it's alpha and lots of things are WIP. Also ED could have done a closed alpha, so you wouldn't be able to play this version until release...
Old 02-05-2017, 08:34 PM   #24
piXel496

Reputation power: 6
piXel496 is a jewel in the roughpiXel496 is a jewel in the roughpiXel496 is a jewel in the roughpiXel496 is a jewel in the roughpiXel496 is a jewel in the roughpiXel496 is a jewel in the roughpiXel496 is a jewel in the rough

@ Bignewy (since you are actively moderating this thread)

We are an interested crowd and like to have the feeling we remotely take part by sharing our experience. That's the joy and adventure of a public alpha/beta (in this case NTTR).

It is nice to get a reaction every once in a while or some motivation why the NTTR map changes when it does. Obviously some LOD adjustments are in development, every week a new thread pops up about it and stays unanswered. And after a while it gets blurred by aspecific performance issues or non related chitchat. Then a week later a new thread pops up.

To be specific 2 questions.
1. Will the texture level of the NTTR terrain return to its original higher quality?

2. Is anything changed with the ingame visibility range setting?

Thanks.

Last edited by piXel496; 02-05-2017 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Or do I have to make a new thread next week ;)
piXel496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:03 PM   #25
watermanpc

watermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by razo+r View Post
well, you don't have to play with that version, i mean it's alpha and lots of things are WIP. Also ED could have done a closed alpha, so you wouldn't be able to play this version until release...
And here we go again, and again, and again...

Whats the purpose of an alpha then?...or even better, the purpose of an alpha which they didnt hesitate to take my money for? I remember you this is NOT a free alpha pal, so I think I should have the freedom to say what I dont like and/or could even be a bug...seriously guys, dont know why is that so hard to understand for some of you???

Hope Bignewy could be able to tell us some info regarding all this...
Old 02-06-2017, 06:54 AM   #26
BIGNEWY
Community Manager

Reputation power: 69
BIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to behold

I have spoken with ED this morning and they are investigating.

It could be a simple change in the preload code creating the issue or something else.

Things like this will happen, it is an alpha build and changes are being made on a regular basis internally, I had not noticed the change personally.

@piXel496 I have replied to the thread, not moderated it once yet
Old 02-06-2017, 02:47 PM   #27
razo+r
Veteran

razo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermanpc View Post
And here we go again, and again, and again...

Whats the purpose of an alpha then?...or even better, the purpose of an alpha which they didnt hesitate to take my money for? I remember you this is NOT a free alpha pal, so I think I should have the freedom to say what I dont like and/or could even be a bug...seriously guys, dont know why is that so hard to understand for some of you???

Hope Bignewy could be able to tell us some info regarding all this...
Allthough i agree with you on your feedback and this issue, i disagree with your imagination about this alpha version of DCS.

The thing is, an alpha/beta version is used to test the software before initial release. Developers can release such a "testing version" for the people who'd like to help. And what if the developers announce the pre-order is available and then release an alpha/beta software afterwards? People who download an apha/beta version are supposed or at least should give feedback. I don't see anything wrong there. As i said before, if you pre-order a software, and then the developers are releasing a beta/alpha version, did you now pay for the final product, or for the beta/alpha version? You paid for the final product, same goes for here, you paid for the final map, but you didn't pay for the engine, nor did you for the alpha...

As it is an alpha version, things change to optimize and improve the test version for the final version. Some changes are good while the alpha/beta phase, and sometimes they are bad, which might be a bit uncommon, but things like that can happen, they either tested something new or did something else for whatever reason, they do this in favour of the final release, and reports and feedback like yours help them improve the version and maybe even makes them putting their focus on smaller things in the end-stage...
Old 02-06-2017, 07:14 PM   #28
markuscha

Reputation power: 4
markuscha is on a distinguished road

Hmmm. Strange but my FPS are the best i have ever seen !
Went from 40 to allmost 120 depending on Module .
I was able to switch viewdistance from high to ultra and still getting up to 100 FPS.
Regarding to most of the other posts thats very strange ...

CPU: i7-5820K, 3.3GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX1080 Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UD3 RAM: G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB SSD: Crucial MX200 500GB OS: Win 10 64Bit
markuscha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:45 PM   #29
watermanpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGNEWY View Post
I have spoken with ED this morning and they are investigating.

It could be a simple change in the preload code creating the issue or something else.

Things like this will happen, it is an alpha build and changes are being made on a regular basis internally, I had not noticed the change personally.

@piXel496 I have replied to the thread, not moderated it once yet
Great BIGNEWY, many thanks for your help!, looking forward to read more info about this

Quote:
Originally Posted by razo+r View Post
Allthough i agree with you on your feedback and this issue, i disagree with your imagination about this alpha version of DCS.

The thing is, an alpha/beta version is used to test the software before initial release. Developers can release such a "testing version" for the people who'd like to help. And what if the developers announce the pre-order is available and then release an alpha/beta software afterwards? People who download an apha/beta version are supposed or at least should give feedback. I don't see anything wrong there. As i said before, if you pre-order a software, and then the developers are releasing a beta/alpha version, did you now pay for the final product, or for the beta/alpha version? You paid for the final product, same goes for here, you paid for the final map, but you didn't pay for the engine, nor did you for the alpha...

As it is an alpha version, things change to optimize and improve the test version for the final version. Some changes are good while the alpha/beta phase, and sometimes they are bad, which might be a bit uncommon, but things like that can happen, they either tested something new or did something else for whatever reason, they do this in favour of the final release, and reports and feedback like yours help them improve the version and maybe even makes them putting their focus on smaller things in the end-stage...
Mate, I read your post and at the end of the day we totally agree, I understand what an alpha is/means, and as you said, Im trying to help make things better to the point Im supporting this project with my money ...the only thing some of us are saying is:

1- This could be just a bug
2- If not a bug, once again (since last updates) the quality of the map is going down the road to a point where its now looking REALLY POOR, so we are not burning NTTR just because 1 update messed things a bit, its been several months of down hill travel so I think its "good" to ask whats happening.

But again, we are in the same boat mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markuscha View Post
Hmmm. Strange but my FPS are the best i have ever seen !
Went from 40 to allmost 120 depending on Module .
I was able to switch viewdistance from high to ultra and still getting up to 100 FPS.
Regarding to most of the other posts thats very strange ...
Yep!, very strange...and looking at the crazy amount you are talking about (300%) I think I could safely say there must be something else with your system/intall where the problem came from...in my case, I can say I lost like a 5/10% performance and with a big degradation of the visual quality.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:42 PM   #30
Dav IRL

Reputation power: 7
Dav IRL is a jewel in the roughDav IRL is a jewel in the roughDav IRL is a jewel in the roughDav IRL is a jewel in the roughDav IRL is a jewel in the roughDav IRL is a jewel in the rough

Exactly my thoughts WatermanPC.

To the posters that suggest I play something else, I am not interested in playing any other flight sim, in fact since playing Blackshark in 2008 I have been hooked and heavily invested in the DCS series only.

I am however a customer since 2008, and if I get frustrated with the sims basics principles not being improved update after update. I have every right to say so, and complain, as I am a customer who whole heartedly supports ED and appreciates their product, I just don't like the way basic gameplay principles are taking so long to implement.

I just want the promises delivered. SLI support for example was never supported, even though it was said it would be, that was poor communication and created a problem for me and many other members.

Furthermore, it has never been responded to or addressed to the point where I got rid of sli altogether.

So needless to say the base map, the base audio and runway operations are just that, basic but important and way more important then anything else. In short there is no complete game without working maps, beautiful visuals and proper ATC.
INTEL Kaby Lake Core i7 7700K OC 5.0Ghz CPU, ASUS ROG Strix Z270H Gaming Motherboard & 16GB 3200Mhz Corsair DDR4 RAM & ID Cooling FrostFlow 240mm Liquid Cooler OVERCLOCKED GTX 1080 HOTAS Warthog Oculus Rift & Touch
Dav IRL is offline   Reply With Quote