2.0.5 changed LoD? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-04-2017, 06:29 PM   #11
wilbur81

Reputation power: 10
wilbur81 will become famous soon enoughwilbur81 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav IRL View Post
I'm sorry to say this but from reading this post it is very clear another underwhelming release with 2.05.
It seems that most of the 'updates' these days are merely to accommodate the myriad of new 3rd party aircraft, not really to significantly improve the simulator's foundation. The foundation is what matters most: The foundation being things like - the environment, maps, global effects, overall performance, etc. etc.

Maybe the silence from Wags and Co. is because the U.S. Airforce and/or Navy have employed ED to do some sort of military sim contract work that is classified, eating up the head developers' time, and not allowing them to talk about why. :-) Either way, we're rooting for you fellas, even in the silence.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:30 PM   #12
watermanpc

Reputation power: 12
watermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGNEWY View Post
Continue with your feedback, ED are listening.

Personally I have not noticed a performance drop.

I assume you have all tried fresh saved games folders with this new build?

If not rename your saved games DCS.OpenAlpha folder ( keep it as a backup for now )

restart DCS and redo your settings, and copy your input folder from the backup and test.

Do you see a difference? I would be interested to hear.

I speak with members of the ED team regular, and I do pass your concerns and comments to them, they also read here aswell.
I have just done what you sugested and performance is the same as before with my old save games folder running. Anyway, I just talked about performance due to the fact that I cant see the huge performance increase I think we should be getting after such a BIG downgrade in graphics and whats more, now, when flying low, I would say it runs a bit worse than before, but I could be mistaken.

About the LoD thing, I have to agree with other pals in the thread, NTTR was very promising at first, and I purchased it with the intention of see it getting better and better with the time but the reality is that after more than a year later, patch after patch, the map not only doesnt look better but incredibly enough it looks worse

I understand that this is an alpha work, and thus, its a WIP but I also understand that things should get BETTER with the time and not worse like the case of NTTR. Even if 2.5 looks much better, the fact looking at the screens, is that right now it looks worse and I cant find a reason to release something that decreases the quality of the product.

One thing I loved in DCS is the extreme high range visibility and loading of objects (even more with zooming) but seems like this is not the case any more because it doesnt looks like a bug or something like that but an obvious deliberate change.
-ULTRA Weathered F-5 skin here
-Increased Heat Blur distance and quality here
watermanpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:03 AM   #13
alieneye

Reputation power: 7
alieneye is just really nicealieneye is just really nicealieneye is just really nicealieneye is just really nicealieneye is just really nicealieneye is just really nicealieneye is just really nicealieneye is just really nicealieneye is just really nice

I agree with OP, also noticed a weird way of how the buildings appear now. The are scaling up!

YouTube || Copycats - technology and product clones (primarily aviation) || dgrigoriev.com
SPECS:
Spoiler:
i7 3930K (4.5GHz), 2xGTX 1080ti SLI, 32GB RAM, 1Tb SSD, WIN 10, 3440x1440 monitor, Oculus Rift CV1 || TM Warthog, TIR5, CH Pro pedals

alieneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:02 AM   #14
David OC

David OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur81 View Post
It seems that most of the 'updates' these days are merely to accommodate the myriad of new 3rd party aircraft, not really to significantly improve the simulator's foundation. The foundation is what matters most: The foundation being things like - the environment, maps, global effects, overall performance, etc. etc.

Maybe the silence from Wags and Co. is because the U.S. Airforce and/or Navy have employed ED to do some sort of military sim contract work that is classified, eating up the head developers' time, and not allowing them to talk about why. :-) Either way, we're rooting for you fellas, even in the silence.
Yes it can be very frustrating at times in the cutting edge high tech flight sim niche, especially in the combat sim side of things to keep moving forward and stay profitable this day and age.
ED and 3rd parties should do whatever it takes to stay profitable in this niche we all enjoy and be able to keep moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ells228 View Post

So, what's in store for 2017....
Well for me it will be a busy time developing our military projects, securing more military work for the year and those beyond, demonstrating our capabilities within DCS and of course showcasing DCS itself which is second-to-none when it comes to military simulators and the capabilities of the simulator that we all love flying or even driving in.
DCS itself has come on leaps and bounds with the latest installments and we can't wait to develop systems and functionality for what is yet to come <no spoilers>.

You will see vast improvements in technology for DCS; VR being a classic example of this and we are excited to announce some partnerships early in the New Year, so keep an eye out for announcements!!

I'll leave the consumer side of things to Pete in his text below and just want to assure you that we are working as diligently and as fast as possible to get new DCS products out to you whilst keeping the DCS quality mantra high.
You will see some vast improvements to Hawk (2.0 we are calling it internally) and you will already see these achievements in P-40 and our future products for next year and beyond.

Read the full post here
David OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:24 AM   #15
dooom

Reputation power: 21
dooom is a glorious beacon of lightdooom is a glorious beacon of lightdooom is a glorious beacon of lightdooom is a glorious beacon of lightdooom is a glorious beacon of lightdooom is a glorious beacon of lightdooom is a glorious beacon of lightdooom is a glorious beacon of lightdooom is a glorious beacon of lightdooom is a glorious beacon of lightdooom is a glorious beacon of light

i propose ED front end their alpha and beta downloads with a short quiz that purchasers must pass with a score of 100% in order to initiate the download. Using multiple choice, purchasers would have to demonstrate a concrete understanding of what alpha and beta builds represent in terms of a development schedule and release candidacy. It could go a long way to deflating and mitigating forum panic.

""This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL
*NOTCH VIDEO F15 vs SU33
*P-51D ANM64 Bombing guide
dooom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:50 AM   #16
David OC

David OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really nice

I do understand the frustration here in the waiting tho, it's just some I believe don't quite understand the level of tech involved here that was created by ED.

Just look at just the A-10C and compare this sim to the best aircraft on the sim market. You're not able to, there is no sim on the market that has all the system(s) or the flight model that good, not even close and that's not even including all the weapons systems here. This to applies to all the aircraft in DCS, they are all simulators themselves in the time it takes to build.

Imagine for a second that ED went and made some modules for the other civvy sim market. I believe that would scare the crap out of the top players in that market. ED never would because they have their own sim world to worry about and are very passionate about.
David OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:55 AM   #17
Dav IRL

Reputation power: 7
Dav IRL is a jewel in the roughDav IRL is a jewel in the roughDav IRL is a jewel in the roughDav IRL is a jewel in the roughDav IRL is a jewel in the roughDav IRL is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by David OC View Post
I do understand the frustration here in the waiting tho, it's just some I believe don't quite understand the level of tech involved here that was created by ED.

Just look at just the A-10C and compare this sim to the best aircraft on the sim market. You're not able to, there is no sim on the market that has all the system(s) or the flight model that good, not even close and that's not even including all the weapons systems here. This to applies to all the aircraft in DCS, they are all simulators themselves in the time it takes to build.

Imagine for a second that ED went and made some modules for the other civvy sim market. I believe that would scare the crap out of the top players in that market. ED never would because they have their own sim world to worry about and are very passionate about.
Doesn't justify the basic principle. I bought a product and it has been in Alpha for a long time, I want to enjoy the visuals, have a solid performance and not a downgraded engine from this time last year. It frankly annoys me that 1.5 is still in service, that there is two independent installers and the base game that being the maps and sound are not up to scratch. That is the problem here, frankly speaking and as a dedicated consumer of ED's products the reasons and possible excuses for why they may or not be busy is of no concern to me. I paid to play not to test and wait on downgraded releases with improvements that have ultimately fell short of what makes a great game, sound and visuals, they have nailed the gameplay but that is a given and massive kudos but the other two departments don't seem to be being addressed with the updates whatsoever. There has been no info on ATC and comms and no feedback on the actual state of the releases, updates and overall situation. The community is niche and deserves more communication, not marketing material and minor updates, thats what it feels like right now, small minor updates that steer away from the base product, audio, visual, gameplay.
INTEL Kaby Lake Core i7 7700K OC 5.0Ghz CPU, ASUS ROG Strix Z270H Gaming Motherboard & 16GB 3200Mhz Corsair DDR4 RAM & ID Cooling FrostFlow 240mm Liquid Cooler OVERCLOCKED GTX 1080 HOTAS Warthog Oculus Rift & Touch
Dav IRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:47 PM   #18
ac5

Reputation power: 5
ac5 is on a distinguished road

Hi David OC I agree with you,
all other sims in the market look like bad arcade
games compared with DCS.. And I have tested them all...

But what can I say.. also Dav IRL has a very valid point there...
Graphics Card GeForce GTX 1070 8192 MB GDDR5
Monitor 30" Eizo SX 3031W @ 2560 x 1600
1 x SSD Samsung 250 GB 2 x SSD Samsung 500 GB
Windows 10 Home - 64 Creators Edition
CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals
ac5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:39 PM   #19
Zimmerdylan

Zimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGNEWY View Post
It is an alpha build guys, ED will change and tweak things from time to time as features are added to find balance for when it is released.

I would expect to see more changes in the future based on data and feedback from everyone.

Exactly what I said to myself as soon as I got on the map. I assume that a lot of this stuff will go on during all of the transitions from 2. to 2.5.
In my years with DCS, there have been countless things like this come and go. So I just go with the flow of it.
Zimmerdylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:50 PM   #20
Zimmerdylan

Zimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav IRL View Post
Doesn't justify the basic principle. I bought a product and it has been in Alpha for a long time, I want to enjoy the visuals, have a solid performance and not a downgraded engine from this time last year. It frankly annoys me that 1.5 is still in service, that there is two independent installers and the base game that being the maps and sound are not up to scratch. That is the problem here, frankly speaking and as a dedicated consumer of ED's products the reasons and possible excuses for why they may or not be busy is of no concern to me. I paid to play not to test and wait on downgraded releases with improvements that have ultimately fell short of what makes a great game, sound and visuals, they have nailed the gameplay but that is a given and massive kudos but the other two departments don't seem to be being addressed with the updates whatsoever. There has been no info on ATC and comms and no feedback on the actual state of the releases, updates and overall situation. The community is niche and deserves more communication, not marketing material and minor updates, thats what it feels like right now, small minor updates that steer away from the base product, audio, visual, gameplay.

Yes, I get the frustration. However, do you read the "Terms and Conditions" when you make the purchase? It states that ED has the rights to the product and that you are obligated to accept any and all modifications and the potential problems that they may present. And that you are technically not purchasing anything from them, but the rights to use their software. The very nature of the beast is that it is an ever evolving and changing entity. The agreement that we all check off on with every module that we purchase is quite clear on this point. Unfortunately, people don't read it and think their purchase can be compared to buying a DVD player from Walmart.
If you think ED is bad about it, go fly any of the other countless sims out there claiming that they're the best. I have flown them all and IMO, DCS is by far the most superior in every way. Most of the "Sim" companies out there settle for mediocre scenery and flight model. And their customers can't do a thing about it.
Give it some time......it'll all get taken care of. It always does.

Last edited by Zimmerdylan; 02-05-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Zimmerdylan is offline   Reply With Quote