2.0.5 changed LoD? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-04-2017, 11:36 AM   #1
watermanpc

Reputation power: 12
watermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of light
Default 2.0.5 changed LoD?

Since last update to 2.0.5 I noticed that the game looked considerably worse than before.

After a while testing, it seems that the way the LoD worked has been changed, I mean, before it was somewhat linked to the zoom of the camera so as you zoomed the objects got loaded so the more zoom you made, the more objects where loaded in that direction which resulted in very detailed zoom views, something I really LOVED in DCS as I have probably never played a game with such a behaviour when zooming and its in fact a good thing for a flight sim.

For some reason, it looks like they changed this and now LoD is linked to a fixed "radius" around the plane which wont be changed when zooming...this result into a dramatically lower quality zoom view (basically empty landscape)

But also, it looks like they decreased considerably the objects render distance specially for trees (now they are just missing at distances they were rendered before) as well as the trees themselves and trees shadows look way worse than before (like pixelated, look screens). Also, all vegetation shimmers a lot more than before. All settings maxed out, and tried reseting them to avoid any kind of problem with the previous version.

Here are some screens:

2.0.4:

2.0.5:

I dont think this could be a problem of my installation but I would like to know if you are experiencing the same...hope it to be a temporal issue or something they are changing for 2.5 but Im a bit afraid they change the way the zoom increased detail at distance, even more when not only the game is NOT running any better than before but its running a bit worse in fact (I see little more GPU usage to maintain a bit lower FPS ) so it doesnt look like a performance decision.
-ULTRA Weathered F-5 skin here
-Increased Heat Blur distance and quality here

Last edited by watermanpc; 02-04-2017 at 04:23 PM.
watermanpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:51 PM   #2
JG14_Smil

Reputation power: 22
JG14_Smil is a glorious beacon of lightJG14_Smil is a glorious beacon of lightJG14_Smil is a glorious beacon of lightJG14_Smil is a glorious beacon of lightJG14_Smil is a glorious beacon of lightJG14_Smil is a glorious beacon of lightJG14_Smil is a glorious beacon of lightJG14_Smil is a glorious beacon of lightJG14_Smil is a glorious beacon of lightJG14_Smil is a glorious beacon of lightJG14_Smil is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to JG14_Smil

2.0.5 DCS has worse performance than previous build. I note same thing as the OP. I get more shimmering, worse FPS near Vegas. I had to go down from Ultra to Far.

For me, improvements to the L-39 make it worth it.

"Paddle your own canoe" -- Nick Offerman
"Go ride your bike"-- "Dad"
JG14_Smil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:08 PM   #3
watermanpc

watermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of lightwatermanpc is a glorious beacon of light

Glad to hear Im not the only one but sad at the same time because lately, every patch has make NTTR to look worse and worse to the point it looks really bad right now (also due to this: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=177641&page=4 )

I know they are working on 2.5 but the problem is we will have to live with this a long time yet so I dont want to fly 6 more months with the terrain looking like that ...and even running at lower fps!

Last edited by watermanpc; 02-04-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:20 PM   #4
razo+r
Veteran

Reputation power: 14
razo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nice

settings?

this is more a preload thing, not layer of detail (LOD)
Old 02-04-2017, 01:20 PM   #5
BIGNEWY
Community Manager

Reputation power: 69
BIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to behold

It is an alpha build guys, ED will change and tweak things from time to time as features are added to find balance for when it is released.

I would expect to see more changes in the future based on data and feedback from everyone.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:00 PM   #6
aceviper

Reputation power: 6
aceviper is a jewel in the roughaceviper is a jewel in the roughaceviper is a jewel in the roughaceviper is a jewel in the roughaceviper is a jewel in the roughaceviper is a jewel in the rough

Looks like the grass is gone too.
A scaleable option ED? to keep everyone happy.
Mission editor loading is much improved and very welcome too.

I noticed the LoD changes as poster but also the opposite when down low in a helo over Vegas center.
Looks more dense to me which has hit my FPS...1080gtx at 4k.Dips into the mid 40s.
Still missing the mountain details mask making terrain look lower quality.

Also shoreline is too bright and shimmers at distance.

Last edited by aceviper; 02-04-2017 at 03:43 PM.
aceviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:32 PM   #7
Dav IRL

Reputation power: 7
Dav IRL is a jewel in the roughDav IRL is a jewel in the roughDav IRL is a jewel in the roughDav IRL is a jewel in the roughDav IRL is a jewel in the roughDav IRL is a jewel in the rough

I'm sorry to say this but from reading this post it is very clear another underwhelming release with 2.05.

Furthermore, I think those that have paid full price for Nevada deserve better and it is just getting frustrating at this stage.

I can't say I am a happy customer at the moment, alpha for how long, another year?
INTEL Kaby Lake Core i7 7700K OC 5.0Ghz CPU, ASUS ROG Strix Z270H Gaming Motherboard & 16GB 3200Mhz Corsair DDR4 RAM & ID Cooling FrostFlow 240mm Liquid Cooler OVERCLOCKED GTX 1080 HOTAS Warthog Oculus Rift & Touch
Dav IRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:36 PM   #8
watermanpc

Settings are maxed out as I said in the first post and I highly doubt it has anything to do with the preload radious (which is maxed out also btw).

Now, objects are not being loaded as you zoom the camera, thats a fact so they changed this.

BIGNEWY, I understand what you said, really, but the thing is that sadly, last patches are making NTTR to look worse and thats not what I would expect when "changing" things or fine tuning the map, it should be the oposite isnt it??

Maybe the map will look astonishing in 2.5 and I wouldnt mind to wait a few weeks to see that but time matters and if I have to fly many months with several downgrades and less performance it might be a problem imho.

aceviper, will check what you said later and see how it looks and run...

Last edited by watermanpc; 02-04-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:11 PM   #9
Erk104

Reputation power: 6
Erk104 is on a distinguished road

Multiplayer definitely took a hit with 2.05. I cannot even connect without crashing with screen freezes. The only thing I can play right now is beta.
Erk104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:18 PM   #10
BIGNEWY
Community Manager

Reputation power: 69
BIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to behold

Continue with your feedback, ED are listening.

Personally I have not noticed a performance drop.

I assume you have all tried fresh saved games folders with this new build?

If not rename your saved games DCS.OpenAlpha folder ( keep it as a backup for now )

restart DCS and redo your settings, and copy your input folder from the backup and test.

Do you see a difference? I would be interested to hear.

I speak with members of the ED team regular, and I do pass your concerns and comments to them, they also read here aswell.