Uncontrolled when starting from the ground

Dave317

I'm trying to get to know the editor a bit better and wanted to start a ch47 from the ground after it is activated by a trigger. I can do this with the group activate trigger but it doesn't exist until it is activated. I understand you need to tick the 'uncontrolled' box so it is visable before its activated but the box isn't there if you start it from the ground. Works fine if it is ramp started. Is there any way around this?

I think UNCONTROLLED only works if you use a Ramp Start.

What you want to do may be achieved using Scripts (like MIST, MOOSE, ATME).

The Lua experts will be able to help you out on this one..... :)

Rig - I7-9700K/GIGABYTE Z390D/RTX-2080 SUPER/32-GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE RAM/1-TB SSD

Mods - A10C / F18C / AV8B / Mig21 / Su33 / SC / F14B

Hi Dave317,

try the following:

Click on "TRIGGERED ACTIONS" tab for the helicopter group that you created and select "ADD".

in "TYPE" select "Perform Command" from drop down list.

in "ACTION" select "Start" from drop down list.

Close the helicopter group to save those changes.

Go to "set rules for trigger" icon on the left hand menu bar of the mission editor.

Under type create a new trigger with TYPE once

Under conditions select TIME MORE and set it for say 240 seconds

under ACTIONS select AI TASK PUSH.

then select the action in the drop down named AI ACTION

and that should now work. Obviously you could also set a flagged trigger if you wished. I hope this helps. Cheers:thumbup:

forgot to mention Helo must be a cold and dark start from ground....... a hot start does not work.

Edited by SUNTSAG

Callsign: NAKED

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Dave. Just to save you some time, that will not in fact work...

SUNTSAG just described the method for a normal uncontrolled start...the problem is, as you have noted, this option is not available for helos with the start from ground option selected.

The closest thing you can do is have a static object in place of your late activated helo. When the desired conditions are met, use GROUP DEACTIVATE to despawn your static and spawn in a late activated live helo at the same location. You'll see a little flicker as the static despawns and is replaced by the actual model...unfortunately I think this is the best we can do with ground starts for now.

Boo...remember now I was deactivating uncontrolled units and spawning new ones to get around being unable to control "uncontrolled" units with Combined Arms after pushing them to start.

You may be able to teleport the static object to another location using MiST or one of the other frameworks...

http://wiki.hoggit.us/view/DynAddStatic

I've found the work around!

1. Set a live helicopter 'start from ground' but give it zero fuel.

2. Set another live helicopter of the same type as 'start from ground' and position it so it is exactly over the first one and is facing the exact same direction. Check the late activation box. You can then assign this one waypoints and a mission.

3. Set a trigger so the first helicopter deactivates (GROUP DEACTIVATE) and at the same time the second one activates (GROUP ACTIVATE).

They will now switch over. The first one will disappear and the second one will start up, takeoff and complete it's mission as it should.

When they switch there is a little bouncing but unless you are looking at it when it switches it's not a problem.