Preventing engine overheating during combat

-Mop-

I´ve asked this before, but got too few answers, because it was placed in a thread with another topic... i learned a lot the last 2 days about engine management and overheating and so on..

but one thing isnt clear to me: what can i do to prevent overheating in dogfight.... i have to get close to the enmy, so i have to push MP and RPM forward... otherwise i wont get close to him...

very often when im on his six he pulls up and goes vertical... i am absolutely not able to follow him... i always have to set RPM and MP to a lower setting otherwise my engine will die...

when im on his six and pulls up, as i mentioned, it cant be a thing doing of the wrong maneuvers cause i would have just to stay at his tail, because he more or less flies straight ahead...

2 Questions:

-might there be some kind of maneuver to save energy and speed so i can follow him or get him after he comes down to my flight altitude?

-is there a certain RPM and MP setting that gives me the best deal between speed, maneuverability and (over)heating of the engine, so i can follow him on any altitude (it should be possible, cause we have the same planes ;-))

please help...

(@ED:Maybe some training videos would be helpful about engine management and dogfights for those who cant organize themselves in squadrons, because the lack of time (kids and job, you know ;-) where the would find a "personal trainer")

So don't follow him. Who said you need to spend 100% of the time in a dogfight on his six to win?

You have to stay out of his firing solution because the AI is a godlike shooter, so his six is the best place to be. Or out of range.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

I´ve asked this before, but got too few answers, because it was placed in a thread with another topic... i learned a lot the last 2 days about engine management and overheating and so on..

but one thing isnt clear to me: what can i do to prevent overheating in dogfight.... i have to get close to the enmy, so i have to push MP and RPM forward... otherwise i wont get close to him...

very often when im on his six he pulls up and goes vertical... i am absolutely not able to follow him... i always have to set RPM and MP to a lower setting otherwise my engine will die...

when im on his six and pulls up, as i mentioned, it cant be a thing doing of the wrong maneuvers cause i would have just to stay at his tail, because he more or less flies straight ahead...

2 Questions:

-might there be some kind of maneuver to save energy and speed so i can follow him or get him after he comes down to my flight altitude?

-is there a certain RPM and MP setting that gives me the best deal between speed, maneuverability and (over)heating of the engine, so i can follow him on any altitude (it should be possible, cause we have the same planes ;-))

please help...

(@ED:Maybe some training videos would be helpful about engine management and dogfights for those who cant organize themselves in squadrons, because the lack of time (kids and job, you know ;-) where the would find a "personal trainer")

Manually open your rads - games auto rads code is bugged right now. If you keep speed up, 60 in/3000rpm should last you 15 mins. 8-10 mins if you are in tighter turns.

The AI always make wide turns to get in your six - so you should do the same. Anticipate where it will be, instead of where it is and think of a flying solution to get there without too much pulling. IE, if it's doing a rolling scissor, don't follow him on his dead six, but stay inside his role by turning, not pulling.

At least, that's what I learned so far, i get about 50/50 these days...

• ED Team
You have to stay out of his firing solution because the AI is a godlike shooter, so his six is the best place to be. Or out of range.

It's not correct... chasing the opponent not with the gunsigh but with your eyes you can find the positions where the opponent is very far from your gunsight though it can not shoot at you. Trying to win an angle you waist your E and get mostly fead-on attacks.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Playing devils advocate here, but since when can the AI shoot to the side as well as up and down? :)

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Manually open your rads - games auto rads code is bugged right now. If you keep speed up, 60 in/3000rpm should last you 15 mins. 8-10 mins if you are in tighter turns.

The AI always make wide turns to get in your six - so you should do the same. Anticipate where it will be, instead of where it is and think of a flying solution to get there without too much pulling. IE, if it's doing a rolling scissor, don't follow him on his dead six, but stay inside his role by turning, not pulling.

At least, that's what I learned so far, i get about 50/50 these days...

Very good advice. I didn't know auto rad was broken. When can we expect a fix for that Yo-Yo?

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Go fast, the faster you fly, the more cooling you get. You'll be surprised, something that will boil you at 200 knots will be no problem at 350.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

i installed tacview... and i realized, that the opponent flew much wider curves than me... this way he was able to save much energy and speed...

afterwards i did this as well... and i wonder how much speed you can win if you dont fly curves til your flightstick starts to shake... on behalf of the higher speed i was able to get on his six... although i tried to anticipate his way i cost a long time to get on his six...

one thing else i realized... and this is a shame that this fact is new to me... that when you go vertical to the sky, you shouldnt wait til you stall ( and lose the energy unused, because you fall down til you get your plane under control) just push forward (or pull) to the horizontal when you reach about 100 mph and wait the enemy to fall down and so to get him in your gunsight...

so thx for your help

another noob-Question i havent delt with so far: Do you use rudder during combat? cause i don´t :P

Edited by -Mop-

• ED Team
i installed tacview... and i realized, that the opponent flew much wider curves than me... this way way he was able to save much energy and speed...

afterwards i did this as well... and i wonder how much speed you can win if you dont fly curves til your flightstick start to shake... on behalf of the higher speed i was able to get on his six... although i tried to anticipate his way i cost a long time to get on his six...

one thing else i realized... and this is a shame that this fact i new to me... that when you go vertical to the sky, you shouldnt wait til you stall ( and lose the energy unused, because you fall down til you get your plane under control) just push forward (or pull) to the horizontal when you reach about 100 mph and wait the enemy to fall down and so to get him in your gunsight...

so thx for your help

another noob-Question i havent delt with so far: Do you use rudder during combat? cause i don´t :P

It's necessary to use it. The first reason is that you must keep the ball centered. It helps to have less drag (not so critical) and have less departure probability as you are near stall. So, the correct amount of right rudder as you are lower than 150 mph is vital. The second reason is that using rudder you can increase your roll rate especially at low speed.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me