targeting system capability question - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #41
Oscar

The "Combat Mission Ready" (CMR) Training Sylibus for A-10 Pilots contains training regiments, requirements and qualification testing criteria for Toss System Delivery as a part of the Primary Weapons Delivery Qualification for Unguided Munitions Events.

Toss (Dive or Level) System Delivery. Event category in which an aircraft system is used for target designation followed by a diving or level Continuously Computed Release Point (CCRP) weapon release. Specific events and criteria are as follows:

LAT (Low Altitude Toss)

Mission: Release altitude is below 10,000 feet AGL. Minimum recovery is safe escape for the ordnance being simulated/delivered.
Hit Criteria: 175 feet (53 meters).

MAT (Medium Altitude Toss)

Mission: Release altitude is 10,000 feet AGL or higher. Minimum recovery is safe escape for the ordnance being simulated/delivered.
Hit Criteria: 300 feet (91 meters).
Old 09-23-2010, 04:45 PM   #42
BlueRidgeDx+
Posting Rights Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOneSix View Post
Well you could just make your target point a waypoint in the mission planner. All waypoints are automatically SPIs. I can't remember if bullseye points are working or not...I think they are... If so, just mark your target as a bullseye point in the mission planner and use that as your SPI. Added benefit is that Mavs and the TGP can automatically slew to these points as well.
Thats certainly doable, but it's not a particularly elegant solution.

Again, I understand the time limitations and design decisions a developer has to deal with, so I'm not being critical.

Hopefully though, at some point in the future DCS will support some of the additional functions available with the DTC:

Weapons Profiles (delivery modes, fuzing, SEM, etc)
Air-to-Air Settings (wingspan, TAS, etc)
GCAS settings
Standard navigation points (local DAFIF waypoints)
Specific mission points (Bullseye, SARDOT, IP's, etc)
Stereo routes (common flight plans to/from the range airspace, etc)
BlueRidgeDx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:36 AM   #43
Frederf
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOneSix View Post
Well you could just make your target point a waypoint in the mission planner. All waypoints are automatically SPIs. I can't remember if bullseye points are working or not...I think they are... If so, just mark your target as a bullseye point in the mission planner and use that as your SPI. Added benefit is that Mavs and the TGP can automatically slew to these points as well.
I'm curious how these points work, is it like the F-16 that had points 1-99 and certain blocks were designated to certain point types? For example:

Navigation/Target STPs: 1-24
Bullseyes: 25-30
Line1: 31-35
Line2: 36-40
Line3: 41-45
Line4: 46-50
PPTs: 56-70
I think mark points were in the 90s and the datalink marks were in the 80s.

So all points are equal in data, simply classified by purpose due to their block. Is that how the A-10s various points work or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
The "Combat Mission Ready" (CMR) Training Sylibus for A-10 Pilots contains training regiments, requirements and qualification testing criteria for Toss System Delivery...
Those are techniques and procedures. The A-10C FCC should have at least two bombing mode functions, CCRP, CCIP, and maybe some sort of dedicated toss function. If it has some more they will be some oddball ones like LAT, MAT, TOSS, DTOS, etc.
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:26 AM   #44
Blaze1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederf View Post
Those are techniques and procedures. The A-10C FCC should have at least two bombing mode functions, CCRP, CCIP, and maybe some sort of dedicated toss function. If it has some more they will be some oddball ones like LAT, MAT, TOSS, DTOS, etc.
My understanding is that the A-10C has CCIP and CCRP computed bomb delivery modes. Loft and toss aren't submodes but rather alternative methods of delivery through CCRP. I think its alittle like using CCIP for level and dive deliveries, the delivery mode is essentially the same, but the way the pilot commands the aircraft is different.

Last edited by Blaze1; 09-27-2010 at 03:31 AM.
Blaze1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:58 AM   #45
takamba

Can I set a waypoint as SPI?

If so, how can I do this?

I assume HUD must be SOI, right?
Old 10-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #46
Eddie
Veteran

The active waypoint (steerpoint) is automatically set as SPI as long as you've not set another SPI using any sensors.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:34 PM   #47
takamba

Well, thanks so far.

But, what If I allready set another SPI using the TGP, and now I would like to set the next waypoint as SPI?

Set HUD as SOI, select next waypoint, and thats it?

Last edited by takamba; 10-22-2010 at 12:41 PM.
takamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:06 PM   #48
Eddie
Veteran

China Hat Aft long to set steerpoint as SPI iirc, havent touched the Hog for a while and can't check for you.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #49
takamba

Thanks Eddie, will give it a try.

Tags
a-10c warthog, infrared, jdam, system, targeting