VR Newbie.

Gunnergolly

Thanks, good to hear, my native monitor resolution is 1920x1080 so hopefully no issues.

Looking forward to trying VR.... god knows what my wife is going to think when she sees a rift strapped to my head :) !!. Hopefully they'll be some VR games that she likes too..... and then just maybe she'll understand !!??!!.

Edited by Gunnergolly

Win 11 Home 64Bit, i7-13700K@5.2Ghz Water Cooled, 32 Gb RAM, PNY RTX4090, HP Reverb, PICO 4, Quest 3, Realsimulator FSSB R3, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Pedals.

It will take time but she will get used to it,.. :music_whistling::D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my rift yesterday and have had about five hours playtime with it, absolutely amazing when you jump into a 3D cockpit for the first time, never experienced anything like it !!. The feeling of flight and the sensation of speed is brilliant.

That said i'm having a hard time getting use to the visuals, going from 2D high/ultra settings to VR grainy quality is really hard on my eyes.

Have just installed the VR mod and will maybe have to install the label mod that i have seen somewhere on these forums as i'm having a hard time spotting stuff.

It's early days yet and i'm still playing around with settings :joystick:.

Win 11 Home 64Bit, i7-13700K@5.2Ghz Water Cooled, 32 Gb RAM, PNY RTX4090, HP Reverb, PICO 4, Quest 3, Realsimulator FSSB R3, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Pedals.

I bought my rift yesterday and have had about five hours playtime with it, absolutely amazing when you jump into a 3D cockpit for the first time, never experienced anything like it !!. The feeling of flight and the sensation of speed is brilliant.

That said i'm having a hard time getting use to the visuals, going from 2D high/ultra settings to VR grainy quality is really hard on my eyes.

Have just installed the VR mod and will maybe have to install the label mod that i have seen somewhere on these forums as i'm having a hard time spotting stuff.

It's early days yet and i'm still playing around with settings :joystick:.

enjoy it mate. I find DCS very tricky to setup. But it is worthy. I have a modest computer and with the VR shaders mod, I can fly at 45 and 90 fps with decent quality.

So I´m sure you have margin to improve quality.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Sorry to jump on your thread but one massive frustration of mine with Track iR is I find it impossible to dogfight due to it jumping from looking up to behind and very limited 10 oclock high and 2 oclock high.

How does VR do looking over your right and left shoulder and infront 10 and 2 oclock??

Sorry to jump on your thread but one massive frustration of mine with Track iR is I find it impossible to dogfight due to it jumping from looking up to behind and very limited 10 oclock high and 2 oclock high.

How does VR do looking over your right and left shoulder and infront 10 and 2 oclock??

VR follows your head movement 100% The only limitation is your physical flexibilty to move your head (as in real life).

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

Yep in does awesome in my Rift, accurate 1:1 tracking that will certainly give your neck and shoulders a good work out - but it is great!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Looks like your TIR setup needs some tweaks.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Still experimenting with settings, what do you guys use with regards to PD and MSAA settings ?.

I'm going to start experimenting with a lower PD setting and use (x4) MSAA instead to see how it runs/looks over time on various maps.

I have been using (x1.7) PD, (x2) MSAA but i am finding that i am getting a double vision "ghosting" effect when viewing other fast moving aircraft and have found that lowering the PD setting helps to eliminate that.

Overall i'm getting good VR performance with my rig, i have locked ASW at 45.

With my specs (in sig) I run 1.2 PD and 2x MSAA.

4x MSAA is a big hit on my performance, but 2x I can live with as it at least stays above 45 fps over terrain. This flying the Spit over Normandy.

Btw, I fly with ASW off for my Rift - eliminated the ghosting of the planes as they flew by for me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Are there different versions of Oculus Rift? I want to be sure I am looking at the correct one while Im searching the internet for used ones, I see some kits come with 1 sensor, some with 2?

Edited by Fakum

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Have just started thinking about buying my first VR headset, I have been put off in the past due to performance issues and the low resolution. However now that I have a decent computer I'm slowly warming to going VR.

I have absolutely no experience of VR but from what I have read the Samsung Odyssey seems like a possible contender.

I use VAICOM PRO so it's built in microphone would be useful and I believe it has built in motion sensors, so there’s no need for external sensors.

The total sum of my VR knowledge is around two hours of googling, reading a couple of Odyssey reviews and posts within this forum so any advice on which headset to buy would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I live not far from Snaith nr Goole. You are very welcome to try out my rig before you commit.

Edit. I see you already committed. Enjoy. :)

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Are there different versions of Oculus Rift? I want to be sure I am looking at the correct one while Im searching the internet for used ones, I see some kits come with 1 sensor, some with 2?

CV1 is the correct model. It came with two sensors, as I recall.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

CV1 is the correct model. It came with two sensors, as I recall.

CV1 originally came with 1 sensor and no Touch Controllers. In summer of 2017 I believe it was, they combined the Touch Controllers and two sensors into one bundle, which is how it comes now.

I would strongly encourage OP to consider buying new, plus it will also then come with the free Touch games, some of which are pretty cool. Plus you would get the 1 year warranty.

If has to be used, just make sure it is a CV1 (and clarify which one it is, original with one sensor or bundle with Touch and two sensors).

Some folks are selling the DK2's, which were developer kits made before the official consumer version CV1, and they are no longer supported by Oculus. The Developer Kits were really never intended for general consumers, however they were able to get them at the time.

You definitely want a CV1.

Edited by dburne

Don B

CV1 originally came with 1 sensor and no Touch Controllers. In summer of 2017 I believe it was, they combined the Touch Controllers and two sensors into one bundle, which is how it comes now.

I would strongly encourage OP to consider buying new, plus it will also then come with the free Touch games, some of which are pretty cool. Plus you would get the 1 year warranty.

If has to be used, just make sure it is a CV1 (and clarify which one it is, original with one sensor or bundle with Touch and two sensors).

Some folks are selling the DK2's, which were developer kits made before the official consumer version CV1, and they are no longer supported by Oculus. The Developer Kits were really never intended for general consumers, however they were able to get them at the time.

You definitely want a CV1.

Ah, that's right. FYI: For DCS, one sensor works just fine. You don't need two. As for the controller, there is limited support in DCS. It's a personal preference as far as using the mouse, Rift Controller, or the other solution that has a thread in the input/output thread. Maybe it's in this VR thread.

But as Dburne said, do *not* buy DK1 or DK2.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Many thanks, that clears up my confusion as I did see 2 flavors of CV1 as described. I dont want used, but wifey snarls too much as it is :}

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Pro-tip. Let her know that she can try out clothes in VR. I don't know that you can or not, but I'm sure someone is doing it. :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

:thumbup::music_whistling:

I live not far from Snaith nr Goole. You are very welcome to try out my rig before you commit.

Edit. I see you already committed. Enjoy. :)

Thanks for your kind offer, in the end i just couldn't contain myself any longer and bought my rift from Argos in Selby..... incidentally i live near Goole too.

I have been a rift owner for a week now and managing to see past it's current limitations, mainly it's lack of clarity. However my mindset now is that i am buying in to the future of this technology and in the meantime i will just enjoy what i have.

Certainly flying is easier in VR, hovering helicopters and air to air refuelling is now much easier due to the increased perception of depth/speed that VR provides.

My wife had her first VR experience in the Huey last night, i heard her giggle when she looked to her left and and saw that good looking 3D co-pilot looking back at her :).

Overall i'm really enjoying the rift experience, DCS is a very different flight sim now.

Edited by Gunnergolly

Congrats,,, I envy you :beer:

Congrats,,, I envy you :beer:

I had been sitting on the fence for a long time, i do like my DCS "eye candy", certainly DCS in the rift is not as pretty now but on the other hand it is a hell of a lot more immersive !!.

With the 1:1 tracking twisting and craning your neck and shoulders trying to keep visual on that MIG hurts now (in a good way) !!. God knows how the real boys & girls manage do it whilst pulling six or seven G !!.

Edited by Gunnergolly

Would my EVGA GTX 980 Ti handle Oculus Rift well? I looked at the recommended GPU and it recommends a GTX 1060.

980TI is about on par with 1070, so it is usable with most settings on high. You will have to overclock though for DCS, both VRAM and GPU with PD at 1.8.

I find that I'm running out of VRAM and hitting page file at times, when that happens you get the jitters. It does not happen too often and removing and replacing the headset will reset itself. It's akin to a memory leak.

I'm hoping my new RTX will solve the issue.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.