What is the point of Anti Radiation and Anti ship missiles?

Focha

"Magnum" is spoken over the radio to announce the launch of an AGM-88.[5] During the Gulf War, if an aircraft was illuminated by enemy radar a bogus "Magnum" call on the radio was often enough to convince the operators to power down.[6] This technique would also be employed in Serbia during air operations in 1999.

From Wiki so don't know how accurate it is!

I am sure I read it in Vipers in the Storm: Diary of a Gulf War Fighter Pilot

Book by Keith Rosenkranz as well.

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

:pilotfly:

Wingmen have their uses lol, but as a meat-shield??!!. :lol:

On my squad ops, I tend to fly SEAD. We've done this on the PG map paving the way for the CAS flight...i stayed low in the mountain range (the enemy SA11 was located in an airport in northern Iran) whilst my mate stayed high...then I pulled up enough for the SA11 to track/lock/fire at me. When he did that, my mate up high locked him with his AGM-88s and killed him. That was awesome. I hid behind the mountains straight after (I was out of 88s). On another mission I baited the SAM to fire whilst he locked it up with the TGP and killed it with a JSOW.

Reminds me of the Wild Weasel missions from Vietnam - 1 F105G flying with 1 or 2 F105Ds armed with CBUs to kill the SAMs/radars.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

On my squad ops, I tend to fly SEAD. We've done this on the PG map paving the way for the CAS flight...i stayed low in the mountain range (the enemy SA11 was located in an airport in northern Iran) whilst my mate stayed high...then I pulled up enough for the SA11 to track/lock/fire at me. When he did that, my mate up high locked him with his AGM-88s and killed him. That was awesome. I hid behind the mountains straight after (I was out of 88s). On another mission I baited the SAM to fire whilst he locked it up with the TGP and killed it with a JSOW.

Reminds me of the Wild Weasel missions from Vietnam - 1 F105G flying with 1 or 2 F105Ds armed with CBUs to kill the SAMs/radars.

Classic hunter/killer team!. Very effective in the right circumstances. :thumbup:

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

But what does it do? Shorten lock on range by a certain percentage?

Yes, and denies range info for radar but allow for HOJ shots.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Yes, and denies range info for radar but allow for HOJ shots.

That's against aircraft, where it also denies IFF.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The S in SEAD is suppression. Firing missiles to keep SAM's from shooting your planes for a couple of minutes can be as good as killing them. Destruction isn't always necessary.

Excellent point there. Especially the HARM was made to be faster than the SAMs, so you could shoot them at a site that just launched at you and force him to shut off his radar to not get killed.

Also, DCS doesn't have any tactics modelled... they're on all the time and shoot ASAP instead of luring you into a trap like real operators might do.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg