Spitfire trim has no effect

snodipous

Hi folks. I'm facing a really frustrating bug with the Spitfire: trimming the plane has no effect. I set the trim as recommended for takeoff but I have to really fight the plane the whole way down the runway. I could write that off as just bad flying, but once I'm airborne the plane pitches up by the same aelevator trim. Same tmount, no mathing for rudder trim, no effect at all.

The gauges reflect the trim settings I'm making, and if I look at the exterior view I can see small movements in the trim tabs on the elevators and rudder when I make changes. There is no effect at all on the flight, though, as far as I can tell. Even if I trim the attitude to as far nose-down as it can go, the plane continues to pitch up by the same amount as if I hadn't touched it. Level flight with no control input is obviously impossible.

I'm using a Saitek/Logitech X-52 Pro HOTAS and matching rudder pedals, in the latest Open Beta build.

I have some screengrabs showing what the plane looked like when I was fighting this bug yesterday:

https://imgur.com/gallery/347u2mP

Any help would be much appreciated

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

According to the picture you have the Y axis set to pitch. Or trim the elevator turn to the counterparty.

You can try to do the calibration of the joystick in the system.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

Hi folks. I'm facing a really frustrating bug with the Spitfire: trimming the plane has no effect. I set the trim as recommended for takeoff but I have to really fight the plane the whole way down the runway. I could write that off as just bad flying, but once I'm airborne the plane pitches up by the same aelevator trim. Same tmount, no mathing for rudder trim, no effect at all.

The gauges reflect the trim settings I'm making, and if I look at the exterior view I can see small movements in the trim tabs on the elevators and rudder when I make changes. There is no effect at all on the flight, though, as far as I can tell. Even if I trim the attitude to as far nose-down as it can go, the plane continues to pitch up by the same amount as if I hadn't touched it. Level flight with no control input is obviously impossible.

I'm using a Saitek/Logitech X-52 Pro HOTAS and matching rudder pedals, in the latest Open Beta build.

I have some screengrabs showing what the plane looked like when I was fighting this bug yesterday:

https://imgur.com/gallery/347u2mP

Any help would be much appreciated

what fligh model are you using ?? simulation or game ??

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

You forgot to reset the MCAS.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi snodipous,

Firstly, from your screengrabs we can see that you are using game mode; the majority of people here tend to use Simulation, me being one of them. Ergo, we might not be familiar with some of the characteristics you are dealing with.

It potentially could be a bug, but you'll need to submit to the devs a .trk file demonstrating the behaviour for it to be confirmed.

However, I suspect that you are experiencing one of the Spitfires foibles; at low airspeed and high power settings the Spitfire will want to nose up despite trim settings.

This is due to the neutral static stability inherent to the design. At low airspeed and high power settings your AoA is approaching critical - the thrust line of the aircraft is thus angled up from the direction of flight and thusly a component of that thrust force is actively trying to lift the nose.

I see you are climbing at 140 IAS and 3000RPM, your throttle setting looks ok.

The solution is to not climb so steeply, increase your climb speed to a minimum of 160IAS (180 I find a little more comfortable) and reduce revs to 2850.

I also suspect that on takeoff you are trying to get the Spit into the air too soon - make sure your a attempting to pick up the tail about 6 seconds into the takeoff roll and let her lift off in her own time; if you attempt too steep an initial climb out you'll pass though the Ground Effect boundary too slowly causing you all sorts of issues and exacerbating the nose lifting.

Hope this helped and good luck!

Hi snodipous,

Firstly, from your screengrabs we can see that you are using game mode; the majority of people here tend to use Simulation, me being one of them. Ergo, we might not be familiar with some of the characteristics you are dealing with.

It potentially could be a bug, but you'll need to submit to the devs a .trk file demonstrating the behaviour for it to be confirmed.

However, I suspect that you are experiencing one of the Spitfires foibles; at low airspeed and high power settings the Spitfire will want to nose up despite trim settings.

This is due to the neutral static stability inherent to the design. At low airspeed and high power settings your AoA is approaching critical - the thrust line of the aircraft is thus angled up from the direction of flight and thusly a component of that thrust force is actively trying to lift the nose.

I see you are climbing at 140 IAS and 3000RPM, your throttle setting looks ok.

The solution is to not climb so steeply, increase your climb speed to a minimum of 160IAS (180 I find a little more comfortable) and reduce revs to 2850.

I also suspect that on takeoff you are trying to get the Spit into the air too soon - make sure your a attempting to pick up the tail about 6 seconds into the takeoff roll and let her lift off in her own time; if you attempt too steep an initial climb out you'll pass though the Ground Effect boundary too slowly causing you all sorts of issues and exacerbating the nose lifting.

Hope this helped and good luck!

yeah i agree turn off game mode :P

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I have been playing in Sim mode the last couple of days and the trim works as expected now. So I have the problem sorted, trim works normally for me, but the problem with trim not working in Game mode still exists. I guess it's one for the bug tracker, if anybody from ED reads this part of the forum.

It wasn't a problem with airspeed or climb rate or anything - the trim had literally zero effect on the plane, at any speed or stage of flight. I could tell right away that the trim was working when I switched to Sim mode, it was a big and obvious difference.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i will be honest with you, this bug maby in game since release of spitfire becouse i may be wrong but like 99% ppl dont use game mode at all and i havent seen any post related to game mode other then this one. Just turn off Game mode and you will be fine

Regardless of the mode we all should be in. I can confirm that the bug as reported is present when I set Game Mode. It is not just a low speed issue. Full throttle or idle, the nose just wants to climb and pull to the left. Some people might not want to fly in Sim mode - otherwise why is that option present?

Also - something I have not looked at yet is the separate AutoTrim mode. Did the OP have that selected?

Regardless of the mode we all should be in. I can confirm that the bug as reported is present when I set Game Mode. It is not just a low speed issue. Full throttle or idle, the nose just wants to climb and pull to the left. Some people might not want to fly in Sim mode - otherwise why is that option present?

Also - something I have not looked at yet is the separate AutoTrim mode. Did the OP have that selected?

maby auto trim will fix that, looks like spit in game mode is trimmed 2 nose up and neutral rudder trim just like for landing configuration which will make plane hard pitch up after t/o no mattter power setting and you cant change it by look of it which makes flight impossible

i set trim just below 1 notch nose up it not require any pitch intput on stick durign t/o roll only a little right aileron and rudder

at present situation flying in simulation mode is much easier heh you can trim it with no problem

and flying in simulation mode isnt that hard anyway

Edited by grafspee

• 10 months later...

Same issue here.

Stick is not centered. The elevator trim actually works, but it's offset by the elevator axis on my MSFF2.

PS: Not using the Game Mode and it's the same online as well.

PPS: No issues with my non FF joystick.

Edited by 312_JS
G6XLe1V.png

• 5 weeks later...

Hello everyone! The trim problem, in my opinion, depends on the deadzone setting. In fact, it would be necessary for a goodwill developer to check the correct functioning of this setting. I set the deadzone of all WW2 planes to 10 and I noticed that there is a huge benefit in terms of controlling the trim. The only plane that does not respond to the deadzone setting is the Spitfire! Even if I bring the deadzone to 20 the plane is uncontrollable!! As soon as I touch the stick, the Spit stalls!!! So it's clear that there is something wrong with this plane in the setting of flight controls. I'm talking about the openbeta DCS 2.5.6.50979 (the latest version). I hope for a solution because all the other WW2 planes don't suffer from this problem. The best of all in terms of trim control is the P-47 (perhaps not surprisingly).

I have been flying the Spitfire for a few days now (got back into it after watching the Battle of Britain in 3 days on BBC1) the trim works fine for me, bound to the main hat switch on my Warthog joystick. I can trim it up and go out for a smoke and she would still be flying.

From memory, I have the AXIS 0,100,100,10

GigabyteZ390, 9900K, RTX2080, 32 gig RAM,TM Warthog, Cessna Pro Pedals, Pico 4