Is DCS 2.5.4 Open Beta supposed to take 5-10 mins to open?

minimi66

I'm running latest Open Beta and am experiencing load times from Desktop to Main program screen of between 5 to 10 minutes? Just timed it at 09:34 mins?

No other PC program i own has an opening time of even a third of this including P3D v4.4 with FTX Global and other addons!

I can literally double-click the Desktop Icon, go make a coffee and a snack, drink coffee, eat snack before the program is ready to use!

Any particular reason for this?

Running Windows 10 Pro latest update (April)

System specs below.

Thanks.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Intel Core i9-13900K - 64GB Corsair Vengeance RAM @ 3200 MHz - ASUS TUF GAMING B660-PLUS WIFI D4 - Zotac NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 - 2TB  INTEL NVMe SSD (Windows 10) - Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB (DCS) - Crucial CT1000 1TB NVMe SSD - WinWing F-16EX Stick - WinWing Orion Throttle Base with both F-18 & F-16C TQS Throttle Grips - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech G-910 Keyboard - Logitech G-502 Lightspeed Mouse - Logitech G-533 Headset - Occulus Quest Pro VR - TrackIR 5 with Track Clip Pro

Hi,

Running on 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Nand PCIe M2 SSD! Fastest SSD on my system and one of the fastest M2 SSD's on the market?

Thanks.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Intel Core i9-13900K - 64GB Corsair Vengeance RAM @ 3200 MHz - ASUS TUF GAMING B660-PLUS WIFI D4 - Zotac NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 - 2TB  INTEL NVMe SSD (Windows 10) - Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB (DCS) - Crucial CT1000 1TB NVMe SSD - WinWing F-16EX Stick - WinWing Orion Throttle Base with both F-18 & F-16C TQS Throttle Grips - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech G-910 Keyboard - Logitech G-502 Lightspeed Mouse - Logitech G-533 Headset - Occulus Quest Pro VR - TrackIR 5 with Track Clip Pro

Tested recently at 3-4 Gbps for Read/Write!

Ok, no worries. Will try that.

Thanks v much.

Hi again. Ok i get this error when using PowerShell to Cleanup and Repair?

I:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin> DCS_updater.exe cleanup

DCS_updater.exe : The term 'DCS_updater.exe' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or

operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try

again.

At line:1 char:1

+ DCS_updater.exe cleanup

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (DCS_updater.exe:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

Suggestion [3,General]: The command DCS_updater.exe was not found, but does exist in the current location. Windows PowerShell does not load commands from the current location by default. If you trust this command, instead type: ".\DCS_updater.exe". See "get-help about_Command_Precedence" for more details.

DCS Updater v. 2.9.9.2 currently in DCS\bin folder

I'm running latest Open Beta and am experiencing load times from Desktop to Main program screen of between 5 to 10 minutes? Just timed it at 09:34 mins?

Those times are not normal .. my PC is much weaker and it doesnt take so long to load, something must be seriously wrong with your Windows .. I just made a short screen capture, unedited, to show how it goes on my PC:

kkDRkK3ToeU

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Yeah i think i will have to do some digging here?

I moved DCS from another SSD to the new one about a month or so ago but tbh it wasn't that much better on the original drive?

Also, i cannot get Cleanup or Repair to run via any of the methods mentioned in the Product support pages on the main ED website?

Thanks again.

Maybe your anti-virus? Might be worth trying to disable it during a test to see if that makes a difference.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

When you powershell, it looks like you are going straight to

Go to I:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin> cmd

Then run the DCS_updater.exe cleanup and/or repair

Sorry, no cool signature here.

Loading on my 960 NVME takes about 20 seconds to main menu plus 30 seconds until in the cockpit.

You can use DCS Updater Utility for easy repair and cleanup.

Click here

Agreed. Sounds like a background application like anti-virus scanning all the files. You can try to add exceptions.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Ok, so with Firewall/Antivirus switched off it still takes between 03:33 and 03:55 mins on last 2 start ups?

Have added FW/AV exceptions for Run.exe and DCS.exe but that still doesn't seem to speed things up at all?

Strange?

Ok, so with Firewall/Antivirus switched off it still takes between 03:33 and 03:55 mins on last 2 start ups?

Have added FW/AV exceptions for Run.exe and DCS.exe but that still doesn't seem to speed things up at all?

Strange?

Try to reset your swap file by first setting if to off, then reboot, then set it to system and reboot.

Oh yeah, forgot to say I successfully ran Cleanup and Repair so BIG thanks to @MurderOne for that top tip!!

Ok so it turns out i didn't actually have a Swap File activated on my I: drive so i just set it from Off to System Managed and re-booted but post-reboot my start up was way worse at 05:53 mins!!

So, have now tried with a 32GB swap file on Drive I: but start up time is still 04:15 minutes.

So swap file adjustments didn't fix it unfortunately?

Yeah that makes sense, i have a fair few but not all. All but about 5-6 aircraft, got everything else.

I may have to go for a complete uninstall and then re-install i think in order to try and fix it? Its very frustrating when i know most people are starting up in less than a minute with system specs less than mine!

Thanks for all the help so far though guys, keep it coming as at 166GB for my full DCS install its going to take about 3 days to re-download everything!!!

Yikes!!

Hi again. Ok i get this error when using PowerShell to Cleanup and Repair?

DCS_updater.exe : The term 'DCS_updater.exe' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or

operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try

again.

At line:1 char:1

+ DCS_updater.exe cleanup

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (DCS_updater.exe:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

Suggestion [3,General]: The command DCS_updater.exe was not found, but does exist in the current location. Windows PowerShell does not load commands from the current location by default. If you trust this command, instead type: ".\DCS_updater.exe". See "get-help about_Command_Precedence" for more details.

The error message you're getting is because PowerShell cannot find the DCS_Updater.exe file.

You need to precede the command with .\

So:

.\DCS_Updater.exe cleanup

Yeah that makes sense, i have a fair few but not all. All but about 5-6 aircraft, got everything else.

I may have to go for a complete uninstall and then re-install i think in order to try and fix it? Its very frustrating when i know most people are starting up in less than a minute with system specs less than mine!

Thanks for all the help so far though guys, keep it coming as at 166GB for my full DCS install its going to take about 3 days to re-download everything!!!

Yikes!!

Yikes ! Have you tried saving what you wish , deleting the entire saved games>dcs folder and running a repair ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2