SA Page and MIDS reference by Wags

sk000tch

In his latest beta teaser, wags mentioned significant work on the SA page. I've been wondering how they were going to make that work without tactical network in place. Presumably the mids radios are a step in that direction, but is a dumbed down simulation or full fledged link16?

Have we been given any type of indication of what to expect long term?

The SA page at a minimum will have friendly position/heading/speed/alt info overlayed waypoint sequence. So it should be a step up from the buggy SADL 9-lines and text messages we have in the a-10, for example. But the real value is the complete tacitical picture provided by multiple sources, notably AWACS, which seems potentially doable. But IFF, EW, any word?

I've searched and didn't come up with much, and much of this kind of info seems to be random comments in youtube vids. Also, in the air to ground role is a whole other complication. I thought I had seen something about a link16/SADL gateway, which suggests other modules will eventually be networked (or that is the goal, at least?). Bug given the complexity and the scarcity of info on a2g radar implimentation I'm assuming we don't have much info here. By all means if there's some info out there i'd love to know, i'm just assuming there's not. I searched and could not find much regardaing wether the implimentation will include MAP and the EXP/SAR submodes, GMT, SEA, the CCRP/ranging or terrain modes for example, much less whether targeting or image datalink.

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

I understand that, however, it’s not just about programming a single system on a single module. On many modules certain systems are not modelled thriroughly or very simplified, EW/RWR, IFF, tactical datalink, anything crypto related are all high on that list for similar reasons. Also, while link16 information is widely available, especially for our block, DCS doesn’t have the components necessary to model the network. It’s not a webpage you refresh, AWACS crew SA displays aren’t just broadcast to all friendly aircraft, or even communicate directly (for our block). Different aircraft or terminals (and nato members) communicate in different formats/interfaces, rather than go into unnecessary detail just google mids lvt fdl and you’ll have plenty to read.

My point is that even if the complexities of various systems are simplified so that a mirage, f-18, f-15 all interface in the same way, wags could just be talking about mids voice radios, with the SA page being populated like the f10 map, ignoring line of site or command and control functions. If that’s the case we probably shouldn’t expect imagery or targeting beyond the basic 9-line msgs the a-10 can receive. It’s still a study level sim, but in a pay no attention to the man behind the curtain sense.

It would be extremely cool if we had ISR assets, even just predator data or upgraded jtac/SF/sniper teams, with enhanced targeting functionality, which would open the door to create a FAC mission type. It would also allow missions targeting those ISR assets, or even DCAOCs to degrade the other sides SA/datalink on a strategic level, making multiplayer a lot more interesting.

Again though, if you don’t have the functionality, there’s nothing to take away. My hunch is that it will be simplified, SA page info coming from the fact that it’s a simulation and thus the position of every asset is known, and not dependent on individual assets’ sensors and their ability to communicate that data to the network.

Regarding your question on specifics of A/G Radar modes. Pulled this from the FAQ about official features and weapons to be modelled.

Sensors:

A/A radar with TWS, SCAN RAID, AZ/EL

A/G radar with MAP, EXP1, EXP2, EXP3, SEA, GMT, PVU, AGR, IRA, and TA

AN/ASQ-228 ATFLIR Targeting Pod

Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System (JHMCS)

Link-16

AWW-13 Datalink Pod

NVGs

Edited by Nospin44

Regarding your question on specifics of A/G Radar modes. Pulled this from the FAQ about official features and weapons to be modelled.

Sensors:

A/A radar with TWS, SCAN RAID, AZ/EL

A/G radar with MAP, EXP1, EXP2, EXP3, SEA, GMT, PVU, AGR, IRA, and TA

AN/ASQ-228 ATFLIR Targeting Pod

Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System (JHMCS)

Link-16

AWW-13 Datalink Pod

NVGs

Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for. I am not sure what PVU or IRA is, but the datalink pod is interesting - real time video from agm-84's? Should be able to find a use for that...

link-16 doesn't exactly tell us much but again, a functional SA page alone would be great. Realistic modeling would add some mission diversity and, well, realism, but relative to other things seems low priority (except that it is a prerequisite for other things).

Where did that info come from? I have not seen a feature description with that level of detail before

Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for. I am not sure what PVU or IRA is, but the datalink pod is interesting - real time video from agm-84's? Should be able to find a use for that...

link-16 doesn't exactly tell us much but again, a functional SA page alone would be great. Realistic modeling would add some mission diversity and, well, realism, but relative to other things seems low priority (except that it is a prerequisite for other things).

Where did that info come from? I have not seen a feature description with that level of detail before

It's from the answer to the question #3 in the stickied Hornet FAQ: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=197186 ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

It's from the answer to the question #3 in the stickied Hornet FAQ: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=197186 ;)

well damn way to make me feel like an ass, suppose it is sticky for a reason.

But ya nospin to my knowledge that is the only use for the AN/AWW pods. Some of the standoff weapons (I think the SLAM and Walleye) can launch on INS guidance to a TGT waypoint, datalink target, or A-G MAP/SAR/SEA target designation, but are equipped with a maverick seeker head and transmit video to the datalink pod to allow pilot to fine tune terminal guidance. E.g. you know approximate location, launch from 100 miles/below horizon, steer to target via video. I believe harpoon terminal guidance is active radar homing, SLAM-ER has the video link or image/scene match (not sure how this will work, whether we can receive recce imagery via link16, but SAR image can be used as well). I am not sure about the JSOW. All of this will be interesting to see how its implemented as it depends on what targeting functionality is available. Another interesting aspect is how SAM AI will handle it, they are vulnerable to SAMs, so we probably will not taking out SA-10s from 50 miles out, but reviewing that list it looks like we are getting decoys as well (glider and towed). With saturation techniques SAM AI becomes a factor.

*edited to fix 4am acronyms

Edited by sk000tch