That awful sound...

Krizzo

Sorry, but since the overhaul update the KA-50 has awful sound effects. It is absolutely overprocessed and overcompressed, it has no dynamics. It sounds so lush, it doesn't sound anyway near a KA-50 in video recordings.

Plus: What's up with the fighter jet sound that gets mixed in during a flyby? It absolutely doesn't sound like a helo. I think there's a standard fighter jet sound in the sound engine that automatically blends in during flybys. It doesn't fit helicopters.

Do you people know if the current sounds are work in progress or placeholders? I hope so...

Yea, I also hear the fighter jet sound. just press f2 while flying and rotate to the rear of the helo, You get constant F15 flight noise. Annoying. I've spent years working on and being around helicopters, it's literally an FC3 sound effect stamped into the mix, lol.

Rest of the sounds aren't terrible for me, sounds a bit too much H-60 and less Kamov in blade noise, like the number of blades and RPM is wrong, but for me the only thing that stands out in the rift headphones is that jet flight noise.

C/S Boosted.

And I'm not only talking about the jet sound.

The sound is absolutely overprocessed compared to the sound of other modules. There is an audio limiter in the external sound effects, that is cranked up to the maximum wich is annoying and unrealistic, resulting in a muffled mess.

The internal sounds are okay.

I agree. There's clearly an afterburnerish sound in the flyby.

As far as the in cockpit sounds... They're alright. Not great. There used to be a great sound mod... Does it still work?

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

To me the new Ka-50 sound is better than the old one. So far I thought it sounds really nice.

+1

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Not talking about helicopter turbines, there is really fighter jet mixed in when using external views like it is constantly flying somewhere around you. Best way to test is use F3 camera and wait a bit when the helicopter passes, you will clearly hear generic fighter jet sound soon after.

• ED Team
Not talking about helicopter turbines, there is really fighter jet mixed in when using external views like it is constantly flying somewhere around you. Best way to test is use F3 camera and wait a bit when the helicopter passes, you will clearly hear generic fighter jet sound soon after.

Listen please

https://yadi.sk/d/7_lZsVTlkqtjkw

Do you hear jet sound in this audio?

But there are no jets. It is my recordings of Ka-52 from a distance.

Best regards,

Kanstantsin Kuzniatsou (btd)

Looping jet noise confirmed, once you hear it starts to grind very quickly!

System Specs: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz @ 4.8GHz, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 RAM, GeForce GTX 4090, Crucial SSD (750 GB), TrackIR 5, TMWH, TM T-Flight Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49” Odyssey G9

I believe people are refering to the sound that starts at around 44 seconds in (the whooshy/windy kind of sound)

I guess that is just some closer distance sound that starts to fade in. Fades are difficult to control, maybe that is it.

You can also slightly hear it around 2:37

I guess that is just some aspect of the sound that stands out in some cases because it fades in.

In my experience with helicopter fly-bys in real life they have a wide range of different sounds. Sometimes you hear the blades, other times they can't be heard at all, same with the engine sounds. Lately I even heard a UH-1 where you almost couldn't hear the loud blade noise. I guess it is very complicated to mimic and what we hear is some fade in difference that stands out a bit.

But I would not call that awful at all. I think it sounds great in general. There is just some rough edges maybe. As can be expected with something as difficult as helicopter noise.

Listen to this video of KA-52s and all the different nuances in sound, it's like incredibly difficult to model/simulate

They did a great job.

Edited by Whirley

• ED Team
I believe people are refering to the sound that starts at around 44 seconds in (the whooshy/windy kind of sound)

Yeah, thanks, I thought so too. And I tidied up this sound a little. Plus I made some more minor edits as well.

Please expect in updates. Not sure about the upcoming updates, as these are too minor edits and are not a bug.

Best regards,

Kanstantsin Kuzniatsou (btd)

From the info below your name, it appears you are part of the actual ED team, not just some middle hand forum admin. Good to see you around in these forums, wish more of your colleagues followed your example!

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

From the info below your name, it appears you are part of the actual ED team, not just some middle hand forum admin. Good to see you around in these forums, wish more of your colleagues followed your example!

Recalling BTD's older posts in warbirds sections of the forum, I'll point out he's not just some middle hand ED-team member either ;), but the only engineer of sound content in this sim (not counting 3rd parties with their own sound guys, of course). In either case, it's good to see him listening to feedback and interacting with community a lot.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.