Rift sensor positioning?

Alligin

Thinking of buying the rift but I have concerns about the sensor positioning.

I fly DCS in a converted attic in the eves. The only place for the sensors would be either side of the monitor. Let’s say 3ft apart and top of monitor height so around 4ft from the ground.

They would also have to be level with the monitor in depth ie say 3ft away from my head.

I had a look at the rifts website and it doesn’t give much detail about sensor positioning. But it did mention setting head height in settings. As I would only be using it behind a desk what would that setting be? I guess 4ft.

Anyone see a problem?

Edited by Alligin

In the setting up process, you will see graphically whether or not the sensors are placed correctly. I have mine (2 of them) set at around 4 feet above the floor and 5 feet apart, and did the setup procedure in a sitting position, and that works fine. It doesn't like them too close together, but sensor height and the figure entered in as your height are not a problem.

You don't need 2 sensors to make the rift track well in conjunction with DCS World. I just happen to have wasted money on the touch controllers which I never use.

i only have 1 sensor and it tracks flawlessly in dcs. i just placed it on my desk right of the monitor once and never touched it again. direct sunlight or darkness dont affect the tracking at all...it was a nice switch from trackir.

Can I ask what is the reason you get 2 sensors if only one works?

Can I ask what is the reason you get 2 sensors if only one works?

The Touch Controllers need two sensors.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have two sensors, one on my cockpit about a metre from my head. When flying I switch off the other sensor and get perfect tracking. The second sensor is is about a metre away from the cockpit and up near the ceiling. When I play games with Touch, I switch on the second sensor and rotate the cockpit sensor to face the same way. I find the Rift just picks up the sensors and works flawlessly. It doesn't seem 'picky' at all about placement.

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

Thank's.

I've gone and bought a Rift bundle. Last night the price was £399 (Argos UK) Today it is £350. That 50 quid tipped me over the edge. Could have bought it 2nd hand but didnt want to risk buying someone else's crap.

Now Probably the Hard Part setting up for DCS. If anyone would care to point me in the right direction? how to use the mouse or hand held controllers or Hotas for clicking switches. My specs for the important stuff. I7 8700k... 1080ti & 16gb ram Saikek X65FF

Thank's.

I've gone and bought a Rift bundle. Last night the price was £399 (Argos UK) Today it is £350. That 50 quid tipped me over the edge. Could have bought it 2nd hand but didnt want to risk buying someone else's crap.

Now Probably the Hard Part setting up for DCS. If anyone would care to point me in the right direction? how to use the mouse or hand held controllers or Hotas for clicking switches. My specs for the important stuff. I7 8700k... 1080ti & 16gb ram Saikek X65FF

:thumbup:

Go through the entire Rift setup along with Touch Tutorial.

Enable VR in DCS options.

Start with the VR graphic preset.( can adjust from there).

Assign mouse functions in the UI layer ( bottom of menu below modules).

Also assign VR-Re-center and VR Zoom to couple of buttons in the same UI layer.

I assign click and scroll functions to buttons on my stick.

Touch will be supported as well ( fun for cold starts).

Load up a flight in favorite plane, hit re-center when first get into cockpit, prepare to be blown away.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Go through the entire Rift setup along with Touch Tutorial.

Enable VR in DCS options.

Start with the VR graphic preset.( can adjust from there).

Assign mouse functions in the UI layer ( bottom of menu below modules).

Also assign VR-Re-center and VR Zoom to couple of buttons in the same UI layer.

I assign click and scroll functions to buttons on my stick.

Touch will be supported as well ( fun for cold starts).

Load up a flight in favorite plane, hit re-center when first get into cockpit, prepare to be blown away.

Cheers.

I’ll have a go at that tomorrow

My intention was to do that today. But my mind was blown by the First Contact program. WOW!

It was a “Toto we’re not in Kansas anymore “ moment. That lasted 3hrs.

Cheers.

I’ll have a go at that tomorrow

My intention was to do that today. But my mind was blown by the First Contact program. WOW!

It was a “Toto we’re not in Kansas anymore “ moment. That lasted 3hrs.

Yep I thoroughly enjoyed First Contact.

Don B

Finally got into the jet F-18.

And WOW. Blown away with the immersion. I feels as if I'm actually flying due to the stomach churns during rolls etc.

I was So worried about the screen door effect beforehand. To be honest I hardly notice it.

I'm going to have to setup voice control for the radios. I used to use VAC (voice activated commands) ages ago so need to get that setup.

One thing I'm going to miss is paper checklists. I normally fly with then in front of me. Stuff like approach charts. How do you get those into VR? I think I read that there's a popup knee board? Any advise?

Finally got into the jet F-18.

And WOW. Blown away with the immersion. I feels as if I'm actually flying due to the stomach churns during rolls etc.

I was So worried about the screen door effect beforehand. To be honest I hardly notice it.

I'm going to have to setup voice control for the radios. I used to use VAC (voice activated commands) ages ago so need to get that setup.

One thing I'm going to miss is paper checklists. I normally fly with then in front of me. Stuff like approach charts. How do you get those into VR? I think I read that there's a popup knee board? Any advise?

VoiceAttack and the Vaicom Pro plug-in work very well in DCS . I use it in the Hornet daily .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I use the ingame kneeboard.

Mapped to one of my thottle hat. I use the shortcut function to pin the pages important for the mission

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Can you explain the in game knee board function? Keys etc. Can I import my own Checklists? If do where do I place them and in what format/

Can you explain the in game knee board function? Keys etc. Can I import my own Checklists? If do where do I place them and in what format/

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=311386658

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

VoiceAttack and the Vaicom Pro plug-in work very well in DCS . I use it in the Hornet daily .

Is VoiceAttack free? If not Ive paid for VAC years ago. But need to make a profile. I didnt even know Rift had a mic. Do I need to teach it within windows if so how? It's weird working in VR on the desk top. I prefer normal view.

Flying in VR reminds me of being on a boat. If I spend hr's on a boat, when I get home the house is still moving in time with the waves. It takes around 10 mins before all is normal. VR is the same. The VR world moves when flying. When I go back to monitor the sensation of not being on land continues for 10 mins or so.

For that I'd say VR is doing a pretty good job of recreating the real world!

Is VoiceAttack free? If not Ive paid for VAC years ago. But need to make a profile. I didnt even know Rift had a mic. Do I need to teach it within windows if so how? It's weird working in VR on the desk top. I prefer normal view.

Flying in VR reminds me of being on a boat. If I spend hr's on a boat, when I get home the house is still moving in time with the waves. It takes around 10 mins before all is normal. VR is the same. The VR world moves when flying. When I go back to monitor the sensation of not being on land continues for 10 mins or so.

For that I'd say VR is doing a pretty good job of recreating the real world!

I think i paid $18 total for both Vaicom Pro and Voiceattack . Worth it as a turnkey solution for DCS IMO . Yes , you will run thru a couple of voice training sessions , prompted by the installation .

I second that, great combo for DCS and very useful when using VR.

Don B

Thinking of buying the rift but I have concerns about the sensor positioning. I had a look at the rifts website and it doesn’t give much detail about sensor positioning. But it did mention setting head height in settings. As I would only be using it behind a desk what would that setting be? I guess 4ft. Anyone see a problem?

Coming back to the topic now ... :music_whistling:

If it helps, for my Oculus Rift I am using only 1 sensor that is located 30 cm left and 50cm in front of me, at a level 30 cm above the desk surface.

I have the same good results in position and movement detection when using one single sensor. I see no improvement when using 2 sensors.

As I am not using the hand controllers, there is no need for 2 sensors.

Kind regards,

TOViper

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Coming back to the topic now ... :music_whistling:

If it helps, for my Oculus Rift I am using only 1 sensor that is located 30 cm left and 50cm in front of me, at a level 30 cm above the desk surface.

I have the same good results in position and movement detection when using one single sensor. I see no improvement when using 2 sensors.

As I am not using the hand controllers, there is no need for 2 sensors.

Kind regards,

TOViper

Agreed, the second sensor is really for the Touch Controllers, which I happen to use and like very much. ( Mainly for Touch supported games).

Don B