Guide - Enhancing head movement on TrackIR

that's a great video, thanks so much for doing that...did you happen to notice the default 6DOF of the Viper was set as:

limits_6DOF               = {x = {-0.13,0.45},y ={-0.45,0.16},z = {-0.2,0.2},roll = 90.000000}}),
-- limits_6DOF            = {x = {-0.13,0.30},y ={-0.06,0.16},z = {-0.18,0.18},roll = 90.000000},

I looked at the default for y values and thought is that a misprint?

59 minutes ago, GK61 said:

I looked at the default for y values and thought is that a misprint?

Don't know .. probably its more realistic to not allow the pilot to crunch, as in real life he cant do that .. but I prefer a bit  of slack on this, as the visual we have of the cockpit has a much lower "resolution" than in real life, don't care if purists find it unrealistic 🙂

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Rudel, found something interesting, there is a 2nd brace above cockpit entry on some of the individual plane entries in server.lua, all of them have this in the Mods folder others don't have this in the server.lua, see in attachments, not sure what to make of it, doesn't seem to affect their functions though however ...

in the 3rd attachment, on some or most are 3 braces after the roll entry, others have only one

Views formatting-1.png

Views formatting-2.png

Views formatting-3.png

Edited by GK61

• 3 weeks later...

was in checking some edits today on my server.lua and it appears something has changed since the latest patch where some edits no longer work, however if you edit the main server.lua in the installation directory which isn't recommended (fail integrity check of course) the edits work, why would this be?

1 hour ago, GK61 said:

was in checking some edits today on my server.lua and it appears something has changed since the latest patch where some edits no longer work, however if you edit the main server.lua in the installation directory which isn't recommended (fail integrity check of course) the edits work, why would this be?

hi, sorry that I didnt saw you prior post on February, I will address it tomorrow as I’m away from the PCat the moment.

regarding server.lua, I did notice what you mention but thought that it was an issue of the module I’m currently using, so I reported it on that module’s bug section:

With what other aircrafts have you noted this? Maybe it is a DCS issue and not a fault of a single module.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Hi Rudel, try your TrackIR and let me know if your past view edits still work, I don't have my TIR up currently, waiting for a new IR receiver however I used to be able to edit the following:

CameraTerrainRestriction = true  to "false" in order to get some unique views down low while on the tarmac, now that doesn't work, at least in the server.lua we copy over to the Saved Games dir, however if you directly edit the server.lua in the main installation dir it does work leading me to wonder if your custom TIR edits still work as well?

4 minutes ago, GK61 said:

Hi Rudel, try your TrackIR and let me know if your past view edits still work

Hi,

My modus operandi with DCS is to focus on a single Module at a time, for several months until I feel that I have had enough 🙂  so, even if my server.lua has edits for a lot of aircrafts that I’ve flown on the past, I only noticed the issue with my current aircraft, the Mirage F1.

tomorrow I will try other modules and if they present the same issue (not taking the edits that one does to /saved games/ server.lua) then I will fill a bug report as a DCS core bug, thanks a lot for bringing attention to this issue 👍

1 hour ago, Rudel_chw said:

Hi,

My modus operandi with DCS is to focus on a single Module at a time, for several months until I feel that I have had enough 🙂  so, even if my server.lua has edits for a lot of aircrafts that I’ve flown on the past, I only noticed the issue with my current aircraft, the Mirage F1.

I understand, myself I'm focused mainly on the Hornet but soon to be the F-15SE when it arrives. Now, if I understand you correctly, none of your 6DOF x,y & z edits are working currently for the Mirage? from what I read and hear, mods in general, edits most likely are not working with this MT patch, edits not respected in the normal sense.

also, noticed that none of your attached pics under the "Configure 6DOF" are showing...

Edited by GK61

15 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

With what other aircrafts have you noted this? Maybe it is a DCS issue and not a fault of a single module.

Hi,

Today I tested the Hornet and the Blackshark 3, and found that they do seem to take in all the edits that I do at /Saved Games/DCS/Config/View/Server.lua ... so, from my perspective only the Mirage F1 seems to not be taking these edits.

13 hours ago, GK61 said:

Now, if I understand you correctly, none of your 6DOF x,y & z edits are working currently for the Mirage?

Yes, correct, tested it a lot and the Mirage F1 is not taking my custom server.lua edits.

13 hours ago, GK61 said:

from what I read and hear, mods in general, edits most likely are not working with this MT patch, edits not respected in the normal sense.

The Mirage F1 is an official DCS Module, created by Aerges. Tonight will try to customize the views of the Embraer A-29B user mod, and report back if it works or not.

13 hours ago, GK61 said:

also, noticed that none of your attached pics under the "Configure 6DOF" are showing...

Yes, unfortunately I have them on an http server and the Forum requires https .. I can't fix that, but if you right click on the images and select "open on another tab" then you will see the image.

@Rudel_chwThank you for this helpful post. I was perusing your server.lua file which you posted some years ago and am curious about the entry for the Huey.

After you defined the local cockpit views, there was this code:

local function player(x,y)
return {	  CockpitLocalPoint      = {x,y,0.0},
  CameraViewAngleLimits  = {20.000000,140.000000},
  CameraAngleRestriction = {false,90.000000,0.500000},
  CameraAngleLimits      = {200,-90.000000,90.000000},
  EyePoint               = {0.00000,0.000000,0.000000},
  ShoulderSize     = 0.25,
  Allow360rotation    = false,
  limits_6DOF            = {x = {-0.050000,0.25000},y ={-0.300000,0.100000},z = {-0.30000,0.30000},roll = 90.000000},
		}
end

but nowhere in the server.lua file is the function, player(x,y) called.

Is it doing something ?

Also, I added an entry of the AH64D. In the originalViews.lua file for the Apache there is something similar.

There is the expected viewSettings but also a bunch of functions not referenced. For example,

local function head_pos_default_PLT(tab)
	if not tab then
		tab = {}
	end

tab.viewAngle	= tab.viewAngle		or	76.0
	tab.hAngle		= tab.hAngle		or	0.0
	tab.vAngle		= tab.vAngle		or -10.0
	tab.x_trans		= tab.x_trans		or	0.0
	tab.y_trans		= tab.y_trans		or	0.0
	tab.z_trans		= tab.z_trans		or	0.0
	tab.rollAngle	= tab.rollAngle		or	0.0

return tab
end

Again, the function, head_pos_default_PLT(), is not used in the original Views.lua file

What do you imagine it is for?

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

• 3 months later...

What is the status of this now?  I was testing the FA-18 in OB with no MT and the server.lua in Saved Games still does not work.

Has anyone posted this in the bugs forum? 

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download