How do you play, VR or Track IR?

CBenson89

I was just curious if most people play in VR or use a Track IR? I have a cheap thrust master HOTAS that I bought with my PS4 for war thunder. I Have a 3.7 Ghz computer with 32 gigs of ram and a GTX 1080. I have an oculus but find it difficult to use especially when trying to read what cockpit switches are labeled. I was thinking about getting a Track IR but was just curious what you guys, the professionals use. Thanks!

Please see VR Thread for answers. BTW, I've had my rift for over a year and a half and never went back to 2D screens since.

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=497

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

8 point snap view... old school

Wow real old school, tho I do use

in VR.

I use VR with a modified label dot so I can see targets or just use the DOT setting that ED has made Red/Blue which is even easier. I mostly only do small mission, the new F/A-18 missions work well with a PD @ 1.6 to hold 45 fps.

Track IR for multiplayer so I can see the targets.

Once the VR rez gets there, it will be no going back to a flat 2D screen. So for now I just enjoy it where I can with the highest PD, graphic setting and missions to hold 45 fps.

Flying Case 1 and flying choppers in VR is just awesome and much easier because of the depth perception.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I have both... Only VR for the last 18 months...

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I've just finished graphics performance test using Rift. This time all sliders pegged to the right, pixel density 1.2, The rest of settings extreme or high. Mirrors, shadows, IR vid on LDDI, map and doing idiotic stuff like flying through debris after whacking "terrorists" on LV strip:)

No slowdown or stutters... except Fraps eating up few frames (running @ 30fps)

VR all the way!!! Yea... sometimes have to zoom in on DDI's:(

Mav G shoot: https://youtu.be/gHOrR6rlqYA

So there I was with my "so last year" flat screen happily flying and smiling; then I decided to try VR just a few days ago. It aint perfect. It can be irritating dealing with the switches and everything feels like 10 years ago or more in graphics. I started asking questions like "Why the hell cant I have variable zoom using the same zoom slow commands instead of something completely different that isn't variable?" And "Is that splotch up ahead the aircraft carrier" The other side of the equation though is immersion going through the roof. There is nothing like being there in the cockpit and looking around, of having that perspective. No amount of track IR gives you that sense, doesn't matter how big the screen, how big the triple screens, it's a whole different thing. This VR is what sims have always wanted to be when they grew up.

Now just a few days later I really don't want to fly in 2D, it's a pale facsimile of the simulation in VR. On the other hand I can get really irritated in VR with the stupid hood getting sweaty and/or uncomfortable, trying to find ground/air targets, Quake 2 graphics. I have a sort of love-hate relationship going on with it I suppose. For me there is no going back despite the problems. I'm VR from here on out. Color me sold.

I have only just gotten trackIR after 27 years of using the hat switch, its amazing how good you can get with a hat switch if that's all you know. But I was finding it annoying when doing case 1 recovery's trying to look at a heap of different things quickly. It took me a while to get used to trackIR but now I am quite happy with it. Just think how good VR will be in 27 years when I'm ready to upgrade again :smilewink:

The Flying Kiwis - Since ages ago...

Find us at https://www.simcentral.co.nz

I've used TIR since ca. 2004. Upgraded to a Rift-capable PC in Nov 2017, and just got Rift last month (Nov 2018).

Some of my sims, however, can't run Rift in 3d, or at all (some sims require more work to get Rift working than I'm willing to do right now), and since I don't have enough USB ports to run all my peripherals and keep my TIR plugged in and run my Rift, I'm sticking to only VR for the immediate time being.

Personally I find VR highly overrated. TrackIR will do perfectly fine if you are looking to step up your game.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

VR using since JAN 2017. it becomes your lifestyle despite its low res. waiting for the new pimax 8K or oculus to develop high res. headsets. it is realy hard to determine targets which is the only difference between real life. ED has already gives us a VR zoom but again it is not enough due to low res of the existing headsets. any way highly recommended just to feel like what is real flying , just no bumps or G's

VR using since JAN 2017. it becomes your lifestyle despite its low res. waiting for the new pimax 8K or oculus to develop high res. headsets. it is realy hard to determine targets which is the only difference between real life. ED has already gives us a VR zoom but again it is not enough due to low res of the existing headsets. any way highly recommended just to feel like what is real flying , just no bumps or G's

I've seen couple of reviews of Pimax 8k versus 5k and so far every reviewer preferred 5k. Something to do with diagonal pixel pattern in 8k that makes things look "hazy":cry:

Everyone was really impressed with 5k but that was 2 months ago. Things might have changed by now.

I've seen couple of reviews of Pimax 8k versus 5k and so far every reviewer preferred 5k. Something to do with diagonal pixel pattern in 8k that makes things look "hazy":cry:

Everyone was really impressed with 5k but that was 2 months ago. Things might have changed by now.

Thanks for the heads up. will surely consider that before purchasing.